Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #241
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
As I thought I indicated in my post (perhaps I wasn't clear ), I think the issue is with my Kobo; not the case. I need to track down a magnet from somewhere test it on my reader.

[Edit: Facepalm! I've got a big weights and measures fridge magnet on my refrigerator door. It's been staring me in the face so to speak. I'll have a play with it when I get home.]

[Edit Edit: It definitely looks like my Aura HD's automatic sleep doesn't work. Now I'm considering whether or not I should get it exchanged. I ordered from WHSmith online, so it means mucking about mailing it back and waiting for them to send me a new one. I might pop into a WHS branch with the cover and see if it works on one of their demo models.]

[Edit Edit Edit: WHSmith seem to be out of Espresso/Brown at the moment. Now I've bought a Norêve case for brown, I need to replace it with another brown.]

Last edited by meson1; 09-25-2013 at 05:32 AM.
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #242
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pics!!

Click on the pics to see the big 'uns.

As you can see, the back is angled slightly. It also has a hinge that enables you to stand it up, though obviously only in portrait mode which isn't much use for reading ... unless you're having a lay down.

Last edited by meson1; 09-24-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #243
tien
tien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
So guys, I decided I'm only going to get a case/bag for carrying my Aura HD around, and not a cover/case that'd be on the Aura HD all the time. Any resilient, quality cases/bags that would protect my Kobo against bending and pokes where the screen is? Thanks!
tien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #244
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Gorgeous photos, meson1, and very instructive (since not everyone has the budget to go with the Noreve and show the rest of us what it's like)! Since you decided to go with dark brown against a darker brown device, it was wise of you to choose markedly different textures.

Now that I've seen the form factor and construction of the Aura HD case, I should hunt for owners' photos of various kinds of leather offered by Noreve -- independently of any particular device.

Since you've owned your Noreve for over a month now, how do you feel about it currently?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-19-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #245
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Comparing the official Kobo Sleepcover and the eBay cover

I've had a chance to compare side-by-side the official Kobo Sleepcover for the Aura HD and the cover commonly sold in a variety of colors on eBay and Amazon (see attached photo of the eBay cover).

The ereader snaps snugly into both covers -- so snugly on the eBay one that I feared I was going to flex the E Ink screen enough to break it when I tried to remove the ereader (I haven't tried removing the ereader from the Kobo cover).

First, you often see pictures of these eBay covers where the clasp is bright blue. That's just the protective plastic shipping film on the silver-colored metal clasp; it comes right off.

The two covers weigh about the same: 105 g for the Kobo and 110 g for the eBay (on my postal scale, which only goes in 5 g increments).

The sleep function works fine on both covers. But the magnet that triggers it is so strong on the eBay cover, I actually had a little trouble prying the cover open each time (and there's no good place to dig in your fingertips to do that). In contrast, the Kobo cover's magnet isn't very strong -- it won't necessarily keep the cover closed in an accident -- but it is easy to open.

The eBay unit has a leather front cover and matching leather on the outside of the black plastic back, and faux suede on the inside of both covers.

The Kobo cover I bought is the black leather one -- but it turns out it's only leather on the front; the back cover is flimsy styrine plastic and exactly duplicates in offbeat shape and texture the back of the Aura HD unit. There's no padding in the back cover; it's just plastic. The inside front cover has faux suede (the inside front cover is the part your hand holds when you fold the cover back behind the unit while reading).

Both covers are good -- say, 4 out of 5 stars. The biggest disadvantage of the eBay one is the too-strong magnet; the biggest disadvantage of the Kobo one is the chintzy plastic back. But, of course, the eBay one is under $10 with shipping; the Kobo one is $49 in stores in Canada (but is just $25, if you'll take black, at the Indigo website in Canada).

I've decided I prefer the genuine Kobo one.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aura-ebay-cover.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	115918  
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #246
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Wondering about the feel of both the Gecko, the Ebay/Amazon, and the official Kobo cover. They are all made with faux/PU leather. How does it feel? Slick/plasticky? Or soft and textured like leather? Will sweat from hands/fingers remain on the surface of it? I'm thinking marathon reading sessions in the summer sun here.

Edit: Same question as the one for meson1 about the Noreve: Is the hinge flap sturdy enough to hold it like an open book?

Last edited by Joques; 12-01-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #247
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Meson1, a few questions: How thickly padded is the front flap? It looks really thick, perhaps because of the quilted finish? Is it distracting, or getting in the way?

How strong is the clip holding it closed? Is it plastic?

And --- I'm not sure what I think about the leather flaps covering up the sides of the reader. Are they one with the clips that keep it in place? Are they plastic?

Edit: AND: The hinge/strip of leather connecting the front and back piece, is it sturdy enough to read it like a book, with one hand on each piece, i.e. holding front flap with right hand and back/the ereader itself with right hand? It is my preferred reading position,

Last edited by Joques; 12-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #248
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Wondering about the feel of both the Gecko, the Ebay/Amazon, and the official Kobo cover. They are all made with faux/PU leather. How does it feel? Slick/plasticky? Or soft and textured like leather? Will sweat from hands/fingers remain on the surface of it? I'm thinking marathon reading sessions in the summer sun here.
The Kobo cover is fine-grained; there's not a lot of texture (or visual character) to it; it doesn't provide a lot of friction/traction when you try to hold the device -- it'll slip out of your hands easily enough (and the back cover is just reasonably smooth plastic).

The eBay cover is coarser grained leather, and has more character (interesting visual appearance; variation in feel as you slide your fingers over it), and has the leather front and back. It provides a slightly better grip (less prone to just sliding out of your hands).
Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #249
Joques
Addict

Cool, Robert, thanks. How about when you hold it like an open book, with both hands; does it sag along the hinge flap at all?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #250
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Joques asked if the leather spines on either the official Kobo Sleepcover or the commonly-sold eBay cover were strong enough to hold in a normal two-handed hardcover-book reading fashion.

I'd say, just barely -- they're both a bit flimsy for that. Unlike a real book spine, the leather hinges don't run the full height of the spine, and so on both covers (and perhaps slightly more on the eBay one) you'll be tending to push the lower innermost corner of the opened front cover in so that it knocks against the lower-left corner of the plastic interior clamping that holds the actual ereader in place.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #251
Joques
Addict

Ok ... oh well, I've already cancelled the Aura and ordered an Aura HD instead; I'm sure I'll find a comfortable reading position anyway.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #252
meson1

Answers to questions posed about the Norêve cover.

I've owned my Norêve for a few months now and I'm pleased with it. I typically read with the front cover folded around the back, so my fingers grip the cushioned interior face. The extra weight of the case doesn't bother me. It's pleasant to hold and provides a nice reading experience.

@Joques, the front cover is about 5 millimetres thick, including the front and interior padding, but that makes it sturdy too. If you chose a plain cover instead of quilted, I think it would be about the same. It's not distracting at all, in fact the cushioning makes it pleasant to hold. Not only is it plush and luxurious to the touch, it also provides much more grip than the hard plastic case of the Aura HD by itself.

The whole thing is leather covered. Obviously the case probably uses internal materials that provides the strength and spring in order to grip and retain the device, but there is no plastic or metal on show. It's just leather all over. It makes it a quality cover.

The mechanism that holds the front cover closed is a grip that mechanically clips onto the side of the Aura HD. It's strong enough to hold the cover shut, but presents no problems to open and close it; it's not overly stiff and certainly doesn't mark the casing of the reader itself.

The hinge is a sturdy leather that isn't quite as long as the device is tall. It presents no problem to hold the Aura HD in the two handed fashion you describe.

I hope this helps.

[Edit:] I never did exchange my Aura HD. The magnetically activated autosleep mechanism in my Aura HD does not work. I just decided to live with it. But I can confirm that the Norêve case does have a magnet in the right place and should put a working Aura HD to sleep automatically.

Last edited by meson1; 12-21-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #253
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Has anyone tried mulbess slim cover?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #254
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Has anyone tried mulbess slim cover?
I presume you mean these mulbess covers, which look a lot like the Chinese covers we were discussing earlier on this thread. The silver magnets and the design look the same. Even the colors appear to be the same (that teal-infected blue!).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 AM   #255
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Yes. I wondered if they are any better because they're genuine leather. I'm also trying to find out if they are sold anywhere else besides amazon.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote