Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
pdf file - display two / four pages simultaneously (M92)

I've got a strange problem.

I've got a book in pdf format which was "prepared" for a small 6-inch kindle-like screen size.
I try to read it on a M92 ... and the letters are so huge ...

I am using an up-to-date new (beta) pdf reader.
Is there any possibility to convince M92 to display 2 or 4 pages simultaneously?

For example, I would like to rotate the screen to a "landscape" orientation and then I would like to see 2 consecutive pages simultaneously, one on the left half and one on the right half of the screen (in the standard PC Adobe Reader this can be done using "main menu" -> "View" -> "Page Display" -> "Two-Up")

Or maybe in "portrait" mode, I would like to see 4 consecutive pages simultaneously (left-up, right-up, left-down, right-down).

Somehow, I cannot find the correct settings ...

Thanks in advance,
Pepe.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 02-08-2013 at 05:03 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
paralleluniverse
Enthusiast
paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
I've got a strange problem.

I've got a book in pdf format which was "prepared" for a small 6-inch kindle-like screen size.
I try to read it on a M92 ... and the letters are so huge ...

I am using an up-to-date new (beta) pdf reader.
Is there any possibility to convince M92 to display 2 or 4 pages simultaneously?

For example, I would like to rotate the screen to a "landscape" orientation and then I would like to see 2 consecutive pages simultaneously, one on the left half and one on the right half of the screen (in the standard PC Adobe Reader this can be done using "main menu" -> "View" -> "Page Display" -> "Two-Up")

Or maybe in "portrait" mode, I would like to see 4 consecutive pages simultaneously (left-up, right-up, left-down, right-down).

Somehow, I cannot find the correct settings ...

Thanks in advance,
Pepe.
Download PDFill PDF Tools. It's free and there's an option, "Format Multiple Pages", which can be tweaked to reformat a PDF to display multiple pages on a page.
paralleluniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

It's Linux here (and the tool that you mention is for Windoze only).
Anyhow, my idea was to use the pdf file as it is, without "re-formatting" it.
Should I assume that M92 is not able to do the job at all?

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 02-09-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
As far as I know, it is not possible to have 2 pages facing displayed in M92.

It is posible to have 2 (or more) pages one above another. If you use Reading/Scrolling Mode and appropriate zoom.

I agree with you, possibility to display 2 pages, side by side would be handy in some cases. For example in texts where one page refers to another, like textbook, manual, ...

I've missed this feature few times...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Pepe,
Could you add to your post the file, it's more simple to test it, if it's possible or a comparable file.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

Well, the original pdf page size is 3.54 x 4.72 in (diagonal: 5.9 in, aspect ratio: 0.75, like 600 x 800 px).

For the moment, it really seems to me that there's no way to "solve" my problem directly in M92.

So, I created a re-arranged PDF file.
There are now 4 "small" old pages (organized as 2x2) on one "big" new page.

On the big M92 screen this new file can be read quite comfortably in the "portrait" orientation (although the characters are a bit too small for my taste).

Now, I would like to get this new file working in the "landscape" orientation.
Well, I need a magic sequence of option settings to do it ... I can "rotate" the screen ... but then I cannot find any option to customize the zoom to exactly the half of the height of the pdf page ... so that at first I see the upper 2 "small" old pages (upper "row" of my new file) and then it should nicely switch to display the lower 2 "small" old pages (lower "row" of my new file). Of course, I realise that it will not use the whole width of the screen, but I don't care (actually it should use almost the whole width).

Thanks in advance,
Pepe.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

I've finally found a suitable temporary solution.

Please find attached the "pdf2xXpdf.sh.tar.gz" archive file.
It contains two bash shell scripts.

pdf2x1pdf.sh - creates a file.2x1.pdf from the input file.pdf
(2 "small" old pages, organized as 2x1, on one "big" new page)

pdf2x2pdf.sh - creates a file.2x2.pdf from the input file.pdf
(4 "small" old pages, organized as 2x2, on one "big" new page)

Usage: pdf2x{1|2}pdf.sh [-a] file.pdf [author] [title]
-a : utilise acroread (default: use pdftops)
author : file's author (default: just someone)
title : file's title (default: the basename of the input file.pdf)
(Note: the "author" and "title" strings must be ASCII, no UTF-8 allowed)

Both bash shell scripts need ...
awk : gawk
sed : sed
pdfinfo, pdftops : poppler-tools or poppler-utils or xpdf-tools or xpdf-utils
pstops : psutils
ps2pdf : ghostscript or ghostscript-library
acroread (optional) : AdobeReader_enu or adobereader-enu or acroread
Attached Files
File Type: gz pdf2xXpdf.sh.tar.gz (1.6 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 02-21-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
i may be wrong being a newbie but i suppose you could have edited the pdf file in calibre also
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote