Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
hecq
Enthusiast
hecq began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Rooting the mini?

Hi,

Is rooting the Mini possible at all? Which procedure should I follow?

Thanks,
hecq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
As far ad I know, rooting is an android specific procedure, and kobo readers are not based on android, so no, it's not possible.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
hecq
Enthusiast

Hmmm, maybe I used the wrong term.

I meant is there any way to hack into the Mini and add some apps or maybe an alternative firmware or anything of the sort?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The same processes should work that work on the Touch.

The main "trick" is using a file called "KoboRoot.tgz" to override existing files on the unit. Look at the threads here where people are working on a Weather plugin, or a general plugin for more info.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
The Mini boots from an internal micro SD card, so the best way to get started hacking
would probably be to take that card out, make a backup, and then start modifying files.
You should be able to get telnet access by following the directions for the Touch.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
hecq
Enthusiast

I tried modifying this rcS file but I must be doing something wrong because nothing happens.

I added this
Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh &
line at the end of the rcS file, then repacked it, Kobo says upgrading etc.
Then I put the run.sh script with these two lines inside
Code:
 cp /etc/inittab /mnt/onboard
 cp /etc/inetd.conf /mnt/onboard
I put this run.sh script in the same directory as where eBooks etc go, and I copied it to .kobo as well, just to be safe.

And reboot and... I don't have these two inittab and inetd.conf files anywhere.

What am I missing?

Last edited by hecq; 11-24-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
hecq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
The Mini boots from an internal micro SD card, so the best way to get started hacking
would probably be to take that card out, make a backup, and then start modifying files.
You should be able to get telnet access by following the directions for the Touch.
True, but I don't have the appropriate screwdriver and my Kobo is brand new, I'd rather not void the warranty.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecq View Post
I tried modifying this rcS file but I must be doing something wrong because nothing happens.
How did you get the rcS file? Did you do a factory reset and then grab it from
your Kobo after it downloaded the upgrade?

If you add the following line to rcS, does it create a text file on your Kobo?
Code:
echo hello > /mnt/onboard/hello.txt
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
hecq
Enthusiast

It seems I was tired and I packaged the rcS file by doing
Code:
tar czf KoboRoot.tgz ./rcS
which of course wouldn't put the rcS file where it should because it didn't include the full path.

I repackaged it using
Code:
tar czf KoboRoot.tgz etc/init.d/rcS
and it now runs whatever I put in the run.sh script.

Last edited by hecq; 11-25-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
True, but I don't have the appropriate screwdriver and my Kobo is brand new, I'd rather not void the warranty.
I would not be so sure that your warranty covers a rooted e-reader...
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
psi
psi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:

I added this
Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh &
line at the end of the rcS file, then repacked it, Kobo says upgrading etc.
Then I put the run.sh script with these two lines inside
Code:
 cp /etc/inittab /mnt/onboard
 cp /etc/inetd.conf /mnt/onboard
I put this run.sh script in the same directory as where eBooks etc go, and I copied it to .kobo as well, just to be safe.

And reboot and... I don't have these two inittab and inetd.conf files anywhere.

What am I missing?
I'm running into the same problem. I got my KoboRoot.tgz file by doing the factory reset and update thing. I'm running windows, so I repackaged the archive after making the edits to rcS by making a tar file of the whole extracted folder and running gzip on that.

The update runs, but the files that were supposed to appear after the reset never do. I also included the line that's supposed to create a hello.txt file, no dice there either. I'm not entirely sure where the files are supposed to appear but I've looked everywhere.
psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
hecq
Enthusiast

You should check in your archive if the rcS file includes the whole path. No need to repackage the whole KoboRoot directory though, only the rcS file is enough.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
psi
psi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo mini
I checked again and the directory structure was wrong as you suggested. Everything had extracted to a directory called KoboRoot and I had made that into a tar file instead of the 5 directories inside it.

After fixing that problem and running the update, I'm now getting a different problem. After the restart, the loading screen with the smiling kobo and animated boxes just displays endlessly.
psi is offline   Reply With Quote