Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #21586
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ok, sorry for not paying attention in class, but what is the deal with the charcoal?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #21587
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It acts as a filter for my big water dispenser for tea
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #21588
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Water. I'm getting lots of work done, I hope I can keep this up!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #21589
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Congratulations to Stitchawl on his flights. A rather nice photo of him too!

Coke Zero in my cup. A very late one and definitely the last one of the day.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #21590
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Congratulations to Stitchawl on his flights. A rather nice photo of him too!

Coke Zero in my cup. A very late one and definitely the last one of the day.
Yeah -- I was admiring the beard in the photo more than the one in his avatar. Very sharp!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #21591
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LOL got my cell phone bill and I used TEN TIMES the data on my iPhone that Mrs Vydor did on my iPhone last month, but she used FORTY TIMES the amount of minutes that I did!

Gonna go make me a Cafe' Mocha in my tigger mug!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #21592
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It acts as a filter for my big water dispenser for tea
One solution that may be less expensive, and yet equally effective, is "activated charcoal" for aquariums. This is usually granulated (good use of one of those make your own tea bags), and because of the activation is porous in exactly the right range to clean up off-tastes, etc.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #21593
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm sitting on top of the world,
Just rolling along
Just rolling along
I'm quitting the blues of the world
Just singing a song
Just singing a song

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnzhb3evSc )

Good morning, everyone! Happy Ides of October. Halloween is on the way so get your costumes ready! I'm drinking a wonderful cup of East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" tea, along with half a chicken breast and some raw broccoli. Weird breakfast mood today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Stitchawl - welcome back and so glad that you had a fantastic time. Thanks for the photos and I am looking forward to some more. Is folding the chute as complicated as it use to be with the old regular parachutes?
There is no 'packing a chute' for paragliders. That complicated stuff is for sky divers who need their chutes to deploy correctly in mid air. Paragliders start with the chutes spread open on the ground and the control lines going over the arms into the hands. Then it's just -run like the Devil-look up to get yourself centered under the canopy, release some of the control lines-pull on other control lines while still running like a madman, pull the control lines just enough to configure the canopy to catch more air- rise up into the sky like a little happy birdie! (See photo sequence below. Kudos to my wife for taking these pics under such difficult lighting conditions!) The only packing comes at the end of the day, putting the chute into a duffel bag making sure not to get all the lines tangled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
One solution that may be less expensive, and yet equally effective, is "activated charcoal" for aquariums. This is usually granulated (good use of one of those make your own tea bags), and because of the activation is porous in exactly the right range to clean up off-tastes, etc.
That is a BRILLIANT solution!! The little chunks for aquariums would be perfect inside a large tea bag, metal tea strainer, or better yet, sew a little pocket out of some cloth, as the charcoal will keep working for a year or two. Paper teabags might not last as well. Just be sure to rinse off the charcoal 'dust' before you put it into the pot.

Time for one more mug of tea, then it's off to take some more photos of Cosmos fields. Very popular flower here in Japan, and there are huge fields of them in bloom all over!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingA.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	94185   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingB.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	94186   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingC.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	94187   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingD.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	94188   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingE.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	94189  

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-15-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #21594
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
That is a BRILLIANT solution!! The little chunks for aquariums would be perfect inside a large tea bag, metal tea strainer, or better yet, sew a little pocket out of some cloth, as the charcoal will keep working for a year or two. Paper teabags might not last as well. Just be sure to rinse off the charcoal 'dust' before you put it into the pot.

Time for one more mug of tea, then it's off to take some more photos of Cosmos fields. Very popular flower here in Japan, and there are huge fields of them in bloom all over!

Stitchawl
Yes, a simple cloth bag would be perfect. Though I don't think I'd count on it working for that long. I'd set 6 months or so as the upper limit if your water has very much in the way of off elements. (Chlorine, or worse, chloramine are both significant contaminants.)

Finished up my pot of Keemun Xian Zhen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #21595
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Stitchawl - Thanks for explaining. Your wife did a great job on the photos and it looks like it was a beautiful day for flying.

Tea in my cup tonight.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #21596
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Stitchawl - Thanks for explaining. Your wife did a great job on the photos
If you saw the size of my wife (really tiny) and the size of my camera and lens (really huge,) you'd really be amazed! I usually use a monopod or tripod when using that rig as it's so heavy it's difficult to hold steady to get a clear shot even with the vibration-reduction lens. She was using it without any support, shooting in middle-of-the-day sun, with dark mountains and bright sky... Not an easy task.

Quote:
it looks like it was a beautiful day for flying.
We had two perfect days and one fairly rotten one. On the last day there was no wind at all and a lot of humidity, making the air very heavy to try to drag a filled canopy fast enough to get lift. I've been rubbing Tiger Balm into my shoulders ever since we got home!

Now, with a cup of Keemun tea, it's back to work on the photos. We promised to send copies to each of the students, and there are dozens of photos of each of them!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-16-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #21597
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
If you saw the size of my wife (really tiny) and the size of my camera and lens (really huge,) you'd really be amazed! I usually use a monopod or tripod when using that rig as it's so heavy it's difficult to hold steady to get a clear shot even with the vibration-reduction lens. She was using it without any support, shooting in middle-of-the-day sun, with dark mountains and bright sky... Not an easy task.
More pictures please, including one of the tiny photographer if poss .

Kudos to you for setting an example to us all. There are people in the care home my wife works at that are a decade younger than you who can hardly get about without assistance, due in many cases to years of self abuse (not that kind...more overindulgence and lack of exercise), and there you are risking life and limb. Keep it up!

Coffee milkshake in my cup.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #21598
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
More pictures please, including one of the tiny photographer if poss .
Here's one that I took when setting up the camera for her before class began. She's closer to the camera so should really look taller than the girls standing much further back, right? But that's not the case...

Quote:
Kudos to you for setting an example to us all. There are people in the care home my wife works at that are a decade younger than you who can hardly get about without assistance, due in many cases to years of self abuse (not that kind...more overindulgence and lack of exercise), and there you are risking life and limb. Keep it up!
I regret that I only have one life to give for my pursuit of hedonism. Between motorcycle riding, scuba diving, jungle trekking, paragliding, and now hill walking once again, there just isn't enough time for one life to do it all! I need two of me!

With that in mind, tonight I'm drinking Bombay Sapphire for the first time in almost two months... And I may just have a second glass!

EDIT: Why don't the photos come out sharp and clear here?!? This one is pin-sharp on the computer! Grrrrr!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying8.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	94213  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #21599
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
EDIT: Why don't the photos come out sharp and clear here?!? This one is pin-sharp on the computer! Grrrrr!

Stitchawl

I am sure the forum is set t reduce the quality to save space. Post them to flikr or some other site, then you can link them with the [ IMG ] tags and not loose quality.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #21600
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Here's one that I took when setting up the camera for her before class began. She's closer to the camera so should really look taller than the girls standing much further back, right? But that's not the case...

I regret that I only have one life to give for my pursuit of hedonism. Between motorcycle riding, scuba diving, jungle trekking, paragliding, and now hill walking once again, there just isn't enough time for one life to do it all! I need two of me!

With that in mind, tonight I'm drinking Bombay Sapphire for the first time in almost two months... And I may just have a second glass!

Stitchawl
Thank you. You know what they say about the best things and small packages .

Coffee, again.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?