Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Do Apps stay with a user account or a device ?

I currently use the Wifi iPad but plan to upgrade to the 3G one. I wonder if apps stay with a user account or a device. If I change my device, do I need to buy apps again?

Thank you.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
your app purchases are tied to your itunes user account. you can load them on any device you sync to that account.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
And I might add... My wife and I both have ipads, and I have an iPhone. All apps bought on the account are available to all three devices...... Except of course iPad only apps, they would not work on the iPhone anyway.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yeah. if an app is limited by platform you won't be able to load it. but as long as you sync to the same itunes account on the same computer, you can load up all purchased apps.

the exceptions being

1. two different itunes accounts on the same computer, it will load up the apps purchased with whatever account the device is synced to. if you try to swap accounts it will try to set up the device as a new device.

2. if you use the same account on two different computers, it will try to set up the device as a new device if you move it to a different computer. both of your computers can download the same apps free of charge (because they are on the same account) but a device can only sync with one computer.

hope this clears a lot up. my wife and i basically have 2 iphones and 1 ipad all syncing up with one imac under one itunes account so we can share everything.

Last edited by scottjl; 06-12-2010 at 01:08 AM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
3 iPhones, 1 iPad here..one iTunes account. No problems.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Thank you for the clarification. I really glad being able to use the same apps on my different iDevices!
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
To add to what has already been said, you can have your iTunes account authorized on up to 5 computers. Each iDevice can only sync with a single computer. This means you can share your iTunes account purchases with someone you trust (like a family member) by authorizing your account on the computer that the person you want to share with uses for syncing their iDevice.

Here's an example: My Dad had purchased LogMeIn Ignition for his iPhone and we wanted to test it on my iPad. He only has his iTunes account authorized on one computer (his laptop) so he was under the 5 computer limit. We logged into my Dad's iTunes account on my laptop, authorized his account for my laptop, downloaded LogMeIn Ignition (which was free since he had already payed for it), logged out of my Dad's account, logged back into my account, and then transferred LogMeIn Ignition to my iPad.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote