Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Blood Oath an O Positive read

Who says you can’t judge a book by its cover? Blood Oath is a great new novel by Christopher Farnsworth. It caught my attention because of the great cover. It has big white text with a dark red wax/blood seal for the president of the United States but with a bat instead of an eagle. The sub-title “The President’s Vampire” is just something that says “pick me up; you know you want to look.”
Ok, so it is loosely based on a “true” story. Huh? Well there was supposedly a sailor who washed ashore in New England with the bodies of several shipmates and he had drained them of their blood. The sailor is sentenced to die in an insane asylum. But secretly President Andrew Johnson pardons him and binds him to serve the office of the president forever.
The story focuses on the exploits of the vampire Nathaniel Cade and his liaison to the president Zach Barrows; who is sure this assignment is punishment for sleeping with the president’s daughter. Cade is a vampire super agent that out-Bauers Jack Bauer and out-Bournes Jason Bourne and out-Fishers Sam Fisher. He is not a cuddly, sparkly, kind of guy, he is just out to do his job by any means he deems necessary, and that job is protecting the president and the welfare of the United States. He is ruthless and has been given an opportunity to use his given skill set in a profession where that is acceptable. He fights terrorism on both human and supernatural levels.
I don’t want to delve into the plot for fear of giving too much away, suffice it to say it revolves around an assassination threat to the president by supernatural means and the undead uber-soldiers created by Dr. Johann Konrad who is immortal and the model for Dr. Frankenstein, as well as a shadow agency from within our own government.
Farnsworth is a writer who has honed his craft as a journalist and because of that his writing is tight and concisely told. I know it is a cliché but this book is a page turner. I tried to go slow to savor and enjoy this book but once I started I just had to keep reading. This book is a little “X-Files”, with a bit of “24” it is a little Dan Brown meets Vince Flynn with some Charlaine Harris meets Dean Koontz and Tom Clancy. It is a political, Black Ops thriller with vampires, werewolves, and the undead.
Chris has a three book contract with the second novel in the publishers hands right now and he has at least eight more plotted out. This book is fun and I am really looking forward to the next installment, but don’t just take my word for it; Read it. Read it now.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I am reading this now. Author is very very good and I really like how he is handling the premise. Excellent buy so far and have a feeling I will be eager for the next book in the series when done.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I really enjoyed it too, my wife picked it up yesterday and is more than halfway through it already. I will be getting his next book as soon as it hits too.
Edit: Chris just announced on his blog the rights to his book had just been picked up in Portugal. 6-25-10

Last edited by Billjr13; 06-28-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added info
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Bill - thanks for this. I don't usually go for blood suckers, but this one did sound kind of neat.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NX7OC8/

Not available outside the USA it seems. At least, it's not available to the UK market.

It looks like the UK publisher is going to be Hodder and Stoughton, publishing paperback and hardback simultaneously on 8th July 2010. No news on whether the book is going to be available then in the UK or not.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert