Notices

Old 09-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
problem with shell access

Configuration: ER0140/002 v 2.10.2

I have not been able to get the shell access to work. Here's what I've done so far:

I have configured the first page of "iLiad Settings" according to the user and password I previously set up for myIrex.

I setup a wireless profile. I press the connect to IDS button and apparently successfully connected to IDS since when I visit http://myirex.irexnet.com/user.php/developer the MAC address for the iLiad is available in the drop-down list.

I then press the "send developer package" button and arrive at http://myirex.irexnet.com/user.php. I then again press the IDS button on the iLiad and the iLiad shows "connecting to server" and then rather quickly shows "--download complete--". The iLiad then displays the "Download History" screen with the single entry being the "Release Notes v2.10.pdf".

The iLiad doesn't restart as the web page at http://myirex.irexnet.com/user.php/developer says it should but having read various and sundry threads I restart the iLiad both by just turning it off and then on and also by pressing the reset button.

In any event I have put the unzipped mrxvt on both a CF card and on the internal memory of the iLiad. I've also tried gnuchess, the x48 calculator and the gpe applications. In all cases nothing much happens when I tap on the folder containing mrxvt and so on. The green status light may flash once or not at all when I tap on the item in the contentlister.

The folders show up with the png icon appropriate to the contents and the title is the application title and there is a subtitle "Command Shell". All of this would seem to me to indicate that some code is detecting the presence of the png and the run.sh. From the directions I have read in various threads I was expecting the folder to simply open so that I could tap on the run.sh entry; however, the folder doesn't open. It appears as though there is some attempt to treat the entire folder with contents as an executable object but the launch is failing somewhere along the way.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what I have overlooked or am otherwise doing incorrectly.

Thanks
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the obvious question, but are you double-tapping the folder to open it? It should indeed open and you'll see the files inside it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
You should only have to select it once from the contentlister. In the contentlister, if it has an icon and description, you shouldn't have to open that folder to select the script. The Manifest should already point to it.

Perhaps iRex's request website isn't working correctly, or maybe they've pulled the hack in anticipation of 2.11. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly on your end.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
In the contentlister, if it has an icon and description, you shouldn't have to open that folder to select the script. The Manifest should already point to it.
You can't open such prepared folders. The selection of the entry starts the script. The png file, run.sh etc are invisible in Contentlister.

As Adam B. said, maybe Shell Package Server is down or so.

Last edited by yokos; 09-24-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: not invisible != invisible
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
xristy
Connoisseur

doubling tapping doesn't work

I have tried double tapping to no avail. The green status light (upper left corner) may come on for around a second or sometimes for a considerably shorter time. It looks like an access is being made to something and then a failure occurs. It has a feel like launching an application in Windows or Mac and having it check the environment and then quickly terminate for some reason.

I take it that from the information that I've given, you would say that the shell access was downloaded? It seemed likely to me but then I didn't try installing the applications until I had already tried to download the shell access so I didn't have a before and after to compare with.

Thanks,
Chris
Advert
Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
xristy
Connoisseur

Thanks Adam. You and Yokos replied while I was making my reply to Harry T. Perhaps my query at the iRex forums will be answered by someone from iRex regarding the availability of the shell access.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by xristy View Post
I take it that from the information that I've given, you would say that the shell access was downloaded? It seemed likely to me but then I didn't try installing the applications until I had already tried to download the shell access so I didn't have a before and after to compare with.
If your iLiad did not automatically reboot after requesting and downloading the package, then it most likely isn't installed.

A post on the iRex forums may be your best bet.

You don't happen to have a Chinese iLiad do you? I read that the shell package isn't available to those.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
xristy
Connoisseur

Adam: the iLiad is a western iLiad purchased in the US from ereaderoutfitters.com.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I had a problem like this that turned out to be CF card corruption. You might want to backup and reformat your card.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I've also just tried to set up for shell access, without success. The download server thinks it has downloaded the package succesfully, though the "Recent Downloads" folder is now empty (but I've got all the previous update PDFs under docs). What should I look for (and where) to know that the download has worked?

Or even better, since this is almost certainly down do an incredibly stupid mistake, is there a good "HowTo" or FAQ I should consult?

Many thanks

EDIT: URK. Me being usual fool with the MMC cards. I've got mrxvt running on the iLiad, so I assume it is all okay. Now to try and get access from putty, and get a web browser on the device (recommendations?...)...

Last edited by LazyScot; 09-25-2007 at 09:34 AM.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
hoolio
hoolio began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, HTC Herald
Hello all, I thought I'd make my first post ever by resurrecting this thread

I just received my iRex 2nd ed (v2.12) this past Friday and have been trying like mad to get shell access to work. My initial attempts to download the developer package were somewhat similar to xristy, the original poster, however it just stayed on the IDS page and froze with the "--download complete--" message. The iLiad didn't restart by itself, it just hung on the IDS page. I let it sit for 10mins with that status screen. I had to manually reset. These attempts were done via WiFi.

Next set of attempts were made with a wired ethernet connection. After downloading the developer package, it went to the "Download History" page and then rebooted (by itself) yay! On to installing some applications. First off was the ubiquitous mrxvt and shell-test. Like xristy, the folders show up with the icon and description in the contentlister. Single tapping and double tapping would make the status led blink, then the loading status bar on the bottom appear for 1 second (8 boxes on each side of the page selector, 16 total). Nothing would happen. I then tried installing fbreader and and ipdf_installers_2.12. Same deal.

I then went to check to see if I could reflash via CF. This is only possible with shell access right? After reflashing, all of my settings appear to be defaulted to factory settings, the network profiles I created were gone.

I then proceeded to re-request and install and developer package. It installed some updates as well as the Release Notes v2.12 document, rebooted itself and went back to IDS by itself. It then downloaded the developer package and rebooted itself. I tried executing mrxvt and shell-test...same deal LED blinks and status bar on bottom flashes for a a couple of seconds. And after that nothing happens.

After that I tried different CF cards and also tried reformatting them as well. No luck, I'm stuck. Any ideas folks? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
hoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
godidog
Iliadist
godidog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad (broken screen fixed after 3 months), Treo
No help, I'm afraid, just to say I have the same problem and have raised a ticket with iRex about it.
godidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
There seems to be a problem with shell access at the moment. If you don't have it yet you'll have to wait until iRex fixes the download.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
hoolio
hoolio began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, HTC Herald
Thanks for the replies godidog and daudi. So I guess I only got subpar-shell (partial) access then. Hehe bad joke, I know. At least I know how to CF reflash my iLiad. Man what a bummer, I'm leaving for a trip to China tomorrow and was hoping to have some goodies installed for the long flight. Oh well.

Do keep me posted godigog when iRex replies to your ticket. Hopefully the fix will be soon! And thanks for the inside scoop daudi. Cheers!
hoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
If it helps folks in troubleshooting, I downloaded the developers kit a week ago today...and shell access works fine on my iLiad (v1, v2.12)

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote