Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #46
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I really think the whole lcd vs e-ink is subject to the user. It is true that for some people an lcd screen can cause issues for them. I get migraines if I look at an lcd screen for too long (like my computer screen), but for some reason I can read on my phone for hours. The only time it bothered me was if I already had a headache. Some people can really have serious problems with an lcd screen. Some people will never have those problems even if they read 12 hrs a day. It seems obvious to me that if you have problems with lcd screens you shouldn't get a reader with one. For others, it doesn't matter what they read off of so it comes down to their personal likes only.

As for lcd and outside, I agree with cutterjohn42 that lcd can be harder to read. There are some things you can do to help like anti-glare film, but it would not be as easy to read for me as an eink. Some people may find that there eyes can adjust and find it perfectly acceptable. Also, some people may never plan on reading outside as they may do mostly indoor or nighttime reading, so the point is moot.

So the whole lcd vs e-ink still comes down to personal health, taste, and needs. What works best for me isn't necessarily what works best for Joe Blow down the street.
Yay! Someone gets it. My rationale has absolutely nothing directly to do with any possible health related problems potentially induced by LCDs, but by simple readability in brightly lit conditions.

This is why I always have two devices now, one eInk for daylight/sunny/brightly lit indoor & outdoor reading, and something with an integrated backlight(color or mono LCD, mono being more versatile as it's also useable in the same cases as eInk) for poorly lit/night conditions. DPI is nice to a point, but remember I started off with a very low res/low DPI IIIx so this doesn't bother me as much as how lighting conditions affect overall readability/usefulness.

I also decry non-easily user-replaceable batteries(gTab , NC, iPad, etc.).

Bottom line here until Pixel Qi and/or mirasol screens become de facto standard on readers/tablets I'm ALWAYS going to want options.

Forgot to mention the relatively slow refresh of eInk screens, which some people find to be so annoying/distracting that they will NEVER buy current eInk devices... something which doesn't affect LCDs, excepting very old ones which exhibited "ghosting" effects, but those are long ancient history and even the cheapest LCD screens have pretty performance characteristics today...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #47
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
For what it's worth, I personally carry my eInk Nook with me wherever I go and use it to read novels.
I only use my color Nook at home, and then mainly to read graphic novels, manga, and watch movies.

my two cents worth...
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #48
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
it is a fact, that LCD screens, even the modern ones, create eye problems like astigmatism and other eye strain issues.
I rather suspect that HAVING an astigmatism is more likely to cause eye strain, but I doubt very much using your eyeball to look at stuff, whether it is to read or take in the view from a mountain top actually CAUSES astigmatism.

Astigmatism is a physical distortion of either the cornea or the lens and accrediting the media upon which you read as a cause is as ridiculous as saying a glass window will distort if you look thru it constantly. Kind of like when my dad always said (as a joke, of course) that if you try to shoot a .22 as far as a .308, you'll strain the barrel of the .22.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #49
Towerblock
Semi-Noob
Towerblock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 3, Nook Color
LCD's cause eyestrain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
So, is your source saying that astigmatism didn't exist prior to computers? I ask because I had astigmatism since I was a little girl having never used a computer. Practically born with it.
Poster said LCD's could cause astigmatism, not that it was the ONLY cause of it. LCD's cause eyestrain..talk to people who have been looking at them for 20 years. Talk to any HR department in any decent size company and look at the requests for glare reduction screens etc. Or, do you believe all those people with problems are "making it up"?

EInk is easier on your eyes. Different people will notice it to varying degrees, just like some people notice the difference between a big mac and a good steak and some don't (not that the NC is a big mac).

I love my Nook Color for web surfing and watching videos, but I read books on my Sony 350 or Kindle 3. My eyes are grateful when I switch back to an eink device, yours may not see the difference. The Nook wins in certain areas and loses in others, mainly readability for me. Actually there are a LOT of things about the Nook that could have been done better (pinch zoom, forward btn in browser, better speakers and volume), but for the price point I think it's a good value and I'm happy with it.
Towerblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #50
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
So how does one know that astigmatism came from an LCD?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #51
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
So how does one know that astigmatism came from an LCD?
Because you are forcing your eyes to read and focus, and focus, and focus several times, ending with that particular problem. LCD produces an artificial light that creates glare and eye strain.

Please, why people can be so passionated about something? Gosh! ... my own doctor just confirmed this to me. If you read or use your NC for extremely short period of time you are not forcing your eyes at all. But the minute you start using such devices for several hours, several days during the whole week, the whole year, everything change. And with no doubts you are not going to use your NC for 30 min a day and turn it off until next day, are you?

What do you guys want or need to believe it? A signed document by an ophthalmologist?

Anyway, I move on on this topic...honestly ...

Last edited by jocampo; 12-20-2010 at 04:24 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #52
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because you are forcing your eyes to read and focus, and focus, and focus several times, ending with that particular problem. LCD produces an artificial light that creates glare and eye strain.

Please, why people can be so passionated about something? Gosh! ... my own doctor just confirmed this to me. If you read or use your NC for extremely short period of time you are not forcing your eyes at all. But the minute you start using such devices for several hours, several days during the whole week, the whole year, everything change. And with no doubts you are not going to use your NC for 30 min a day and turn it off until next day, are you?

What do you guys want or need to believe it? A signed document by an ophthalmologist?

Anyway, I move one on this topic...honestly ...
How does one know astigmatism came from an LCD and not some other factor? Like I said, I had astigmatism prior to using computers (since the 80s). It has nothing to do with being passionate about anything. How can one say with certainty "you astigmatism came from using computers"?

At one time televisions were to blame for vision problems.

Last edited by SCION; 12-20-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #53
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
FWIW --- Directly from the Mayo Clinic: Astigmatism is a common, mild and easily treatable imperfection in the curvature of your eye. The condition can cause blurred vision.

Astigmatism occurs when the front surface of your eye (cornea) or the lens, inside your eye, has a slightly different surface curvature in one direction from the other. Instead of being even and smooth in all directions, the surface may have some areas that are flatter or steeper

In most instances, astigmatism is present at birth. Sometimes, astigmatism develops after an eye injury, disease or surgery. Astigmatism isn't caused or made worse by reading in poor light, sitting too close to the television or squinting.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #54
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
FWIW --- Directly from the Mayo Clinic: Astigmatism is a common, mild and easily treatable imperfection in the curvature of your eye. The condition can cause blurred vision.

Astigmatism occurs when the front surface of your eye (cornea) or the lens, inside your eye, has a slightly different surface curvature in one direction from the other. Instead of being even and smooth in all directions, the surface may have some areas that are flatter or steeper

In most instances, astigmatism is present at birth. Sometimes, astigmatism develops after an eye injury, disease or surgery. Astigmatism isn't caused or made worse by reading in poor light, sitting too close to the television or squinting.
This is the same thing ALL of my eye doctors have told me. Never was a computer or television mentioned.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #55
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post

So, know you now more than my ophthalmologist?

FYI, there are several types of astigmatism, one of them is the one created by eyestrain and the continue use of LCD devices.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #56
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

FYI, there are several types of astigmatism, one of them is the one created by eyestrain and the continue use of LCD devices.
You just can't let it go, can you? How is that particular "strain" of astigmatism identified?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #57
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
This is the same thing ALL of my eye doctors have told me. Never was a computer or television mentioned.
Wrong!

I did not have this problem before and I was not born with such eye problem. No one on my family (dad or mom) had astigmatism.

I started working with computers at 1994... soon after .... I developed astigmatism. It was confirmed by two doctors, one here in USA, another one on my country. Actually, because same reason I need to take short breaks from monitors and LCD displays in order to avoid the problem getting worse.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #58
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I started working with computers at 1994... soon after .... I developed astigmatism.
Sounds like a rehearsed script.

I'm busting your chops because when other people say their experience is different from yours or those of people you know, you always make it seem as if they're not being honest. Now you know how it feels.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #59
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Wrong!

I did not have this problem before and I was not born with such eye problem. No one on my family (dad or mom) had astigmatism.

I started working with computers at 1994... soon after .... I developed astigmatism. It was confirmed by two doctors, one here in USA, another one on my country. Actually, because same reason I need to take short breaks from monitors and LCD displays in order to avoid the problem getting worse.
I've had astigmatism ever since the first grade. Computers were't in every household but we did have these kindle like electronic game devices that bleeped.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #60
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:

Um....No.....the ophthalmologists at THE MAYO CLINIC knows more than "your" opthalmologist. Astigmatism is a physical abnormal curvature of the lens and cornea, which is not caused by eyestrain, although astigmatism can CAUSE eyestrain.

Last edited by leday; 12-20-2010 at 04:54 PM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote