Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Charging Stopped

I hope this isn't a sign of troubles ahead...

I took out my prs-650 out of my bag this morning and it had a "Charging Stopped" screen saying my USB was connected but it couldn't charge.

The odd thing was there was no USB connection, in fact I hadn't connected it in over a week...and I'd been reading on it fine yesterday morning with still half a charge showing when I put it in sleep mode yesterday

I tried resetting and it wouldn't clear the screen...so I waited until I got home...connected the USB...it took a couple of tries plugging/unplugging for it to turn to a "Charging Battery" screen.

Anyone else having problems with the reader locking with a "Charging Stopped" message when it wasn't charging?

Last edited by Boston; 12-09-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Have you tried charging it with the charger, not the computer?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Have you tried charging it with the charger, not the computer?
I think its charging fine now that its hooked up to the computer (I will see).

The problem is why it suddenly thought it was connected to a USB cable (and not charging) when there was no cable connected and I only had the battery drained 1/2 way according to the meter. Worse, it wouldn't even let me reset the device. Totally locked up.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds more like the batter was dead. Any thing can happen then...
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Boston
Fanatic

nope...I let it charge for a few hours and now it won't turn on at all
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
kennyc

Was this connected to the computer? And is that the way it has been charged in the past? The reason I'm pursuing this is that some computers will discharge instead of charge the reader.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic

Nope...it happened while in my bag

I called Sony Support...he said "Oh, this happens all the time" He then walked me through reseting it (I didn't realize that you needed to flip the power switch 3 times after reseting).

I expressed concern that this is not unusual. I need to check the exact date of purchase but it's real close to the 90 day warranty period ending. He said that there is a note on my account and if it becomes a problem that I will be covered.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
kennyc

Well, glad you got it worked out.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
Can you describe the reset procedure you followed?
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #10
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogman View Post
Can you describe the reset procedure you followed?
Push the end of a paperclip into the reset hole at the bottom...and hold for 5 seconds. Then remove and immediately flip the power/sleep switch [B]3[B] times.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
At least in the manual for my 350, they have you only slide the power switch once after the pin in the RESET hole. Maybe the procedure they instructed you to follow is something new.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
kennyc

This whole thing is pretty strange. I'm not sure reliable communication is taking place.

The manual says: Troubleshooting
If the Reader does not function as expected, try the
following steps to resolve the issue.
1 Reset the Reader by pressing the RESET hole
with a small pin or clip slide the power
switch to restart the Reader.
The content and settings stored on the Reader are
not affected by resetting.
Notes
 The bookmarks, highlights, handwritten memos, or the
setting information may be deleted by resetting.
 The screen will not change after pressing the RESET
hole. Slide the power switch to restart the Reader.
 Do not push the RESET hole with a breakable point,
such as the graphite of a mechanical pencil. It causes
the RESET hole to be blocked.

http://docs.sony.com/release/PRS650.pdf

It also mentions the "Charging Stopped"

Last edited by kennyc; 12-11-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would do is contact the store I bought the 650 from and see what they will do especially if it's a SonyStyle shop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Boston
Fanatic

KennyC and Doogman,

I had already tried what was stated before calling Sony support.

First I tried just this
.. Reset the Reader by pressing the RESET holewith a small pin or clip slide the power switch to restart the Reader for 5 seconds.

Then I tried doing this and then flipping the Power Switch.

Neither worked.

~~~

The customer support rep immediately asked "Did you hold for 5 seconds when pressing the RESET hole and press the Power Switch 3 times?" I said, that I didn't try the power switch 3 times. He said I had to do that and to try it that way. I did and it worked. He then reiterated that the "5 seconds" and the "3 times" were important.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I would do is contact the store I bought the 650 from and see what they will do especially if it's a SonyStyle shop.
Unfortunately, I bought it from someone who bought it from an on-line retailer. But it did come with the original receipt for warranty purposes.