Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Question about the Nook HD Tablets

I hope this is not a naïve question but, can one install 3rd party apps on the Nook tablets or they need to be rooted first?
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You can install third party apps via Google Play. It will list the ones that will work on the Nook HD if you access GP via the device or are logged into a Google account when you access Google Play online, once you've registered your device with Google (I used one of my Gmail accounts).

While most of the offerings seem to work with the Nook HD, there are some that don't. I read somewhere (on MR perhaps?) that apps that need specific GPS access don't work because the Nook only provides location via the WiFi access point.

If you want access to every possible Android app, then you'll either have to root the Nook, or add the Clockwork Mod with the Unidentified Sources mod, or else buy one of the prepared SD cards that already have the Cyanogenmod Android version on it and which allows you boot into Android without rooting your device.

Personally, with the addition of Google Play, I haven't bothered to root my Nook HD because it basically does everything I need.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Thumbs up

Minor clarification: I believe you don't need to root to sideload 3rd party apps - you have to install ADB from the Google SDK and then get the tablet to connect to your PC. You can then "adb push <apk file>" to sideload apps. This allowed me to install apps marked incompatible by GP such as Swype and Wolfram Alpha.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to both answerers (is that a word?). I think I should use the word "sideload", because by 3rd party apps I mean applications which are not on Google Play.

Anyways, if I can sideload apk files then the tablets look very desirable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
Minor clarification: I believe you don't need to root to sideload 3rd party apps - you have to install ADB from the Google SDK and then get the tablet to connect to your PC. You can then "adb push <apk file>" to sideload apps. This allowed me to install apps marked incompatible by GP such as Swype and Wolfram Alpha.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanaco View Post
Thanks to both answerers (is that a word?). I think I should use the word "sideload", because by 3rd party apps I mean applications which are not on Google Play.

Anyways, if I can sideload apk files then the tablets look very desirable
As noted in the post above yours, you can sideload, but only through a PC using the ADB command. To be able to sideload directly from the device you would have to root and enable "unknown sources".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
guanaco
Recovering reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
As noted in the post above yours, you can sideload, but only through a PC using the ADB command. To be able to sideload directly from the device you would have to root and enable "unknown sources".
Thanks, I already have the SDK installed so I don't think using adb will be a problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanaco View Post
Thanks, I already have the SDK installed so I don't think using adb will be a problem.
I sideloaded an apk that is not on Google Play. It is a fave from Amazon Store that I use on my Nexus 7 and want to use on my new Nook HD+. When I clicked to install I got an error that Nook does not allow apps not from Play Store. May I have the Cliff Notes or a link on how to use SDK/adb. I do not know these abbreviations.

Also sincere apologies. I got excited when I saw this post and realized I hijacked the thread. It was not meant maliciously.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDan1 View Post
May I have the Cliff Notes or a link on how to use SDK/adb.
This may help...
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...thout-rooting/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thank you. Off to check it out.

Ok I am back. I read it but I am still feeling stupid. I already have the apk file on my Nook. It is just that when I clicked on it to install I got the error that I could not.

The text at the link reads as if this Nook APK thing is just to put the APK file on my Nook via PC. Or am I just reading it wrong? Must I download and install this Nook APK thingy to install my sideloaded APK file?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by SonDan1; 06-21-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: update
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, ADB is only able to push the apk from your PC (running ADB) to the tablet. So you will need to copy the apk from the tablet to some directory on your PC and then do: "adb push [Path+filename of apk]". Also, since this is an Amazon Appstore app, you will need to push the apk for it as well using the same mechanism as some apps require that running before they will run. I hope this helps you.

BTW, this would mean the following steps:
- Install ADB on your PC and ensure that your HD is in development mode. Connect the HD to the PC and type "adb devices" - it should respond with a unique serial number if it sees your device correctly.
- Find a copy of the apk that you are trying to install and copy it to your PC in some location, say "c:\temp". Also do the same for the Amazon Appstore apk.
- Type "adb push c:\temp\<app>.apk". This should install it on the HD.

Last edited by ab78727; 06-21-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
Unfortunately, ADB is only able to push the apk from your PC (running ADB) to the tablet. So you will need to copy the apk from the tablet to some directory on your PC and then do: "adb push [Path+filename of apk]". Also, since this is an Amazon Appstore app, you will need to push the apk for it as well using the same mechanism as some apps require that running before they will run. I hope this helps you.

BTW, this would mean the following steps:
- Install ADB on your PC and ensure that your HD is in development mode. Connect the HD to the PC and type "adb devices" - it should respond with a unique serial number if it sees your device correctly.
- Find a copy of the apk that you are trying to install and copy it to your PC in some location, say "c:\temp". Also do the same for the Amazon Appstore apk.
- Type "adb push c:\temp\<app>.apk". This should install it on the HD.
You should use "adb install <apk file>" instead of "adb push".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
jpisini
jpisini began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

You can also install the extras zip from the above post and then install any APK you want.
jpisini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
ab78727
Connoisseur

Red face

Good catch, thanks - push will just copy to the device whereas install actually installs it.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Does anyone know if I can keep the Nook HD interface and navigation just the way it is, but sideload an app? I would like to try sideloading the TV Guide Mobile app but I don't want to lose the Nook interface and navigation.

Which method of rooting/hacking would be best for this?

There seems to be a lot of methods people used to hack the HD/HD+ before B&N opened them up to Google Play and revised the firmware, and I'm not sure which method would be the easiest and safest for my purposes.

Also, for the method B&N describes for developers, does the sideloaded app appear in the list of apps just like any other normal app -- or is it somehow hidden?

I'm also wary of directions/methods that are older -- that were created on the old firmware. Would they still work on the new firmware without messing things up?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Instead of me typing I copied and pasted a reply I made to a different thread. You don't need to root to install apk's. You just need to enable unknown sources. I have the HD+ so you would have to use the appropriate download to create the sdcard.

I used this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

I downloaded sdformatter from the web to format an old sdcard that I had in the closet.
I also downloaded Win32DiskImager from the web and installed it on my computer and used it to install the following image file onto the sdcard

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1368660885

after that was created I just drag and dropped the following zip onto the sdcard

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...4&d=1367889100

My nook was powered down and I inserted the card and let the Nook boot up and installed the zip. It is not complicated at all. Most people think that they need "root" to enjoy their Nook. I had to root my old nook tablet to get it like I wanted it but the new Nook HD and HD+ are much better(IMHO)and don't need it.

Penny

Last edited by mystika1; 06-23-2013 at 01:19 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote