Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
trustno12003
trustno12003 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Buying Nook during Holidays in US

Hello

A friend of mine is going on holidays next week to US (we're from Spain) and he want to buy an ebook reader (one for him and one for me). We have doubts between nook and kindle, but taking into account that there`s no stock of kindle until sep 17th, nook (only wi-fi) seems to be the best option, but I want to be sure that there will be no problems using it in Spain later. These are my questions

1.- Do we need to register the device in order to use Wi-fi? We have another friend who lives in US. Would it be posible to register using her address?

2.- We're, probably, use the book with spanish books, so not buying books in B&N is not a problem. But, is it posible to upgrade the firmware outside US?

I suppose there's no other big problems using the reader outside US.

Best Regards
trustno12003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustno12003 View Post
1.- Do we need to register the device in order to use Wi-fi? We have another friend who lives in US. Would it be posible to register using her address?
It's possible to use Wi-Fi without registering.
It's also possible to register your nook outside US. You'll need a credit card (any, non-US doesn't matter) on your B&N account and set it as "default credit card".

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustno12003 View Post
2.- We're, probably, use the book with spanish books, so not buying books in B&N is not a problem. But, is it posible to upgrade the firmware outside US?
You can download the firmware using you computer and copy it to your nook (USB). If you register your nook, upgrading can be done via Wi-Fi, too.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
trustno12003

Thank you, Dominik. Regarding the B&N account, I suppose it's posible to have one outside US?

Regards
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
An US address is required to buy the nook online (bn.com). I don't know, if they verify your address while registering the nook. But I don't think so. In case they verify your address, you can still register for free at any forwarding agency (e.g. Borderlinx) and use this address...
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
trustno12003

Thabnk you, Dominik
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
smafra
smafra began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
I´ve bought mine without registering in B&N. My wife was travelling to US (we are from Brazil), and I just bought the Nook thru´ B&N, used my international credit card and delivered to her hotel at Orlando. Everything was OK!
smafra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Um, doesn't the B&N site say that its books are not for sale outside the US?
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Um, doesn't the B&N site say that its books are not for sale outside the US?
That is of course true, but given that the original poster says:

Quote:
We're, probably, use the book with spanish books, so not buying books in B&N is not a problem.
he obviously does not consider this to be an issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote