Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #31
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Some news

nytimes.com

engadget.com

paidcontent.org
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #32
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I hear these two models are coming soon but when? I don't want to be buying the PRS-600 today and next week the PRS-650 comes out which potentially is a sour investment.
From Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/s...entire-reader/

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #33
Jer
Jer doesn't litterJer doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
Here's the 350. Man I hope the 650 is as excellent as it's looking.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666257813
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm looking at the 950 maybe. If it's also using the Pearl screen and no touch layer, then it would be a really nice size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #35
Jer
Jer doesn't litterJer doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm after the 650 myself. I mostly read during night shifts which consists of paperwork (usually done by midnight), training, and rounds. Something of the in-between size with the better screen... My credit card is already glaring at me. I just hope the machines are as good as the screen shots are suggesting. The Kindle screens look a little better, but not so much more for me to jump ship from Sony.

Last edited by Jer; 09-01-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #36
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm looking at the 950 maybe. If it's also using the Pearl screen and no touch layer, then it would be a really nice size.
Me too. Probably would replace my PRS-900 although still high price.
9.7" will probably be PocketBook 902/903.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #37
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Waterstones UK have the 350 & 650 listed for pre order at £159.99 ($245.42) and £199.99 ($306.78) respectively. Some mark-up!!!!

Neither Play or W H Smith are listing them yet, still showing old models.

Last edited by columbus; 09-01-2010 at 09:47 AM.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #38
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Waterstones UK have them listed for pre order at £159.99 ($245.42) and £199.99 ($306.78) respectively. Some mark-up!!!!
I'm visiting Canada at the end of the month. Does anybody know if they're likely to be cheaper there?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #39
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
So, the best news, I think, is that touchscreen is not wacom, yet it doesn't affect screen quality and can be used with fingers.

But I'll miss the next/prev page buttons.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #40
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
What are you talking about? The paging buttons are still there.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #41
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Why "Some mark-up" Never heard of VAT and Customs Duty???

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Waterstones UK have the 350 & 650 listed for pre order at £159.99 ($245.42) and £199.99 ($306.78) respectively. Some mark-up!!!!

Neither Play or W H Smith are listing them yet, still showing old models.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #42
lithprinter
lithprinter began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Maybe Columbus means in respect of the older models: 300 is/was £99, 350 then is an increase of 60% if this price is correct.
lithprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #43
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Down at the bottom of the page, it sez eInk Pearl with anti-glare touch. Clears up some questions.

Now.

About that price...
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #44
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I'm visiting Canada at the end of the month. Does anybody know if they're likely to be cheaper there?
Yes. I believe that the 650 is priced at $250, and the 350 at $200 CAD. (Or at least, that's the price that I recall being mentioned on another Sony thread here at MR). You will also pay an additional 5-15% tax (depending on the province) on top of that price.

p.s. - have a good time in Canada!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #45
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Yes. I believe that the 650 is priced at $250, and the 350 at $200 CAD. (Or at least, that's the price that I recall being mentioned on another Sony thread here at MR). You will also pay an additional 5-15% tax (depending on the province) on top of that price.

p.s. - have a good time in Canada!
Thanks. I make that about £154 and £123 (+ whatever provincial tax is applicable, although I may be able to claim that back I think).

I'm sure I'll have a good time in Canada (Vancouver to be precise). My younger brother lives there and we're going over for his wedding.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote