Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
buckm56
buckm56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
[Old Thread] Kindle 2.5.2 and Calibre Collections

From what I have read it sounds as though we may not be able to create collections for the Kindle using Calibre? Do we know this to be true? I have created a few collections since installing the 2.5.2 update but if I could assign books to collections using Calibre I would prefer to wait a while if an update to Calibre will facilitate an easier organization.

Thanks
buckm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
appasgirl
appasgirl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
quick question

Hi,

I do not know the answer to your question but you seem very smart in calibre and I am new to it. Do you know how to change a .mobi name in calibre so it shows up in my directory in the k2? thank you.

patty
appasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
buckm56
buckm56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Changing a name

Patty

I assume you mean 'title'?

Make sure you have a copy of the file on your computer.
Double click on the title and change it to what you want. Then delete the book from the Kindle and replace (send) the book from calibre back to the Kindle. I don't believe you can change the information of the book on the kindle.

Last edited by buckm56; 06-14-2010 at 10:57 PM.
buckm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there is no known way to create collections outside the Kindle (except one very cumbersome way that involves rebooting the kindle each time).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
appasgirl
appasgirl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
thank you that is what I meant, "title" and it worked great!
appasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I used Calibre to create my collections as follows:

1. I created a collection, e.g., Mystery and Thrillers
2. I filtered Calibre to bring up only those books tagged Mystery, Thriller and Suspense
3. I clicked on the top 10-50 books I wanted to read. Browsing through my books in Calibre brought a lot of books to my attention.
4. I attached my kindle and downloaded those books
5. Bring up the collection, click add/remove books, and you can put entire pages of books in the collection.
6. Rinse and Repeat
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Steven_m64
Insane Programmer
Steven_m64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No there is no known way to create collections outside the Kindle (except one very cumbersome way that involves rebooting the kindle each time).
even if it is cumbersome could support for editing collections in the json file be supported in calibre?

would be real nice to have when editing a large batch of books.
Steven_m64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_m64 View Post
even if it is cumbersome could support for editing collections in the json file be supported in calibre?

would be real nice to have when editing a large batch of books.
Sure, open a ticket and I'll get to it when I have the time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Steven_m64
Insane Programmer
Steven_m64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Done: http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5847

I'm pretty competent with python if i had more time i could have looked into calibre's structure some more and submitted a patch with the feature added.

Last edited by Steven_m64; 06-15-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Steven_m64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #10
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
It would indeed be nice to have a way of editing Kindle collections via Calibre, even if it were a chore. Since I'm in a country that does not have Whispernet, my Kindles show up as unregistered on the settings screen = I'm not able to go into the settings at all (all I get is the register screen). SO I don't have a way of editing collectiosn on the Kindle itself. ( I'm assuming that once the collections are created, I'd be able to browse collections without whispernet.) The only other option for me is to take my Kindles and travel to a country with Whispernet, to get my devices registered... sigh
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
beady
beady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Since I'm in a country that does not have Whispernet...
Sorry about bringing this thread back from the dead a little, but I'm in the same situation, and as such I'd also like to voice my support for this patch request!
June, I definitely feel your pain... I'm definitely taking my Kindle on my next trip away from home!
beady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
max666
max666 began at the beginning.

Hi June and beady,

a very "Simplest method to register .." is described in:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87686

I also live in a country without whispernet, so I tried this and it works just fine. Now I can make collections on my Kindle DX v2.5.2, but it would also be nice to have at least a cumbersome way in calibre, because I also have a large batch of books.
max666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Kindle collections management in Calibre

It would definitely be great if it could be programmed to manage the Kindle Collections in Calibre. The current method on the Kindle is a step in the right direction but is pretty clunky when you have lots of books on there.

There almost needs (not in Calibre per se) some sort of emulator like there was on PDAs, where you could connect the PDA via USB/dock and an image of it, would show up on your pc, you could operate it using the mouse and keyboard so that typing text in was a lot quicker.

It looks like there are emulators out there for publishers to check what a book looks like, but not to remotely operate a Kindle via it's USB connection.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Ebenist
Ebenist began at the beginning.

Question Kindle "Collections"

I've just updated the software for my Kindle DX.
No problem creating headings for Collections on the Home Page, BUT, how do I transfer books (a) already on the Kindle? (b) new books; into these newly created Collections.
I would have thought Amazon would have provided some guidance!!!
I'll be grateful for any help.
John
Ebenist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Malcolm
Enthusiast
Malcolm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K4PC, Kindle 2, Droid Eris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenist View Post
I've just updated the software for my Kindle DX.
No problem creating headings for Collections on the Home Page, BUT, how do I transfer books (a) already on the Kindle? (b) new books; into these newly created Collections.
I would have thought Amazon would have provided some guidance!!!
I'll be grateful for any help.
John
Hello John. Your Kindle ebooks already on the DX are added to a Collection by selecting the Collection, then press Menu, then Add/Remove Books (a new collection may just say Add Books). You get a view of all your ebooks on the DX. you just scroll down thru the ebooks and click on any you wish to add to the collection. When you have finished selecting go to the bottom of the page and select Done. This returns you to the Collection itself and from there you hit Home to be back at the Home page. Those books are now part of the Collection.

With new ebooks added you do the same thing by entering the collection then add that ebook the same way.

Note that a book which is in a collection is no longer on the home page but will show up when you go into any collection to add ebooks because a book can be in multiple collections.

John, hope this helps and Amazon does answer this fully in the new KDX Users Manual found Amazon Kindle Support page.

Malcolm
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote