Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Sonist, are you referring to the 10 days' battery on idle, etc.? That sounds less than iPad. I'm greedy about battery life. I'm willing to switch devices, but I won't give up a minute of battery life to do it.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Personally, I am willing to sacrifice some battery life to have Windows 7 on a tablet/slate. My Samsung netbook will run a solid 7 or 8 hours, I would be okay with 6 hours on a tablet/slate if I can have Windows 7.
8-10 hours is my ideal.

I don't really want Windows 7 though. I want something that's slick and really built around touch Navigation.

I wouldn't do any real computing work on it. Closest would be reading and marking up PDFs and Word Docs.

The iPad is damn slick in terms of navigation. I just hate the lack of a file system, drag and drop and all the other crap that comes along with Apple's walled garden. And I really want an 11-12" screen so I can read A4 docs in portrait with no scrolling or super small font size etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #18
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
See my post regarding the new Atom Z6.

Windows will NOT be an option initially, but only Android.

The battery life numbers put forward by Intel are pretty impressive, IMO.
I was talking about existing netbook atoms or other intel chips and win7, while many do not want win7 on a tablet there are actually plenty of pluses to it to counter the performance/batterylife issue.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
emt
Nameless Being

Next Crop of Tablets...

Are likely to be uniformly similar to the current netbooks and mediocre unless:

1. They have Android 2.1/2.2 - No Windoze spoken here
2. Don't have a lot of crapware (unfortunately in order to defray costs most manufacturers sell out to the likes of Adobe, Norton/Symantec, Microsoft, etc.. who install the famous "trial version"That's why we need Android (no virus) and mostly, no bloat.
3. 2 GByte of RAM or at least the option to upgrade from 1 to 2
4. Capacitive Screens

Otherwise all you have is a netbook without a keyboard

Just my $0.02 worth
Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Otherwise all you have is a netbook without a keyboard
I do think that's what we'll get from the look of things currently with the JooJoo, Dell Streak, WeTab etc. looking that way.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...ilies/cool.gif
So again, Google is my biggest hope for getting something that's more than a 16x9 netbook with a touch screen and netbook processor.

I really just want someone to make something with the screen size off the Skiff reader, but iPad like functionality in a nice capacitive touch screen with an open file system etc.
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #21
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think you should underestimate the wetab, that definitely seems to be staying away from the whole idea of netbook without a keyboard.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard

Maybe so.

16x9 screen pretty much kills it for me. I'd mainly use a tablet in portrait mode and 16x9 just isn't good for that, especially in smaller screen sizes.

Hopefully some company will pull their heads out of their asses and realize there's a huge amount of people who spend most of their time working with 8.5"x11" documents and make a tablet with that sized screen.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #23
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
I've never even considered an Atom product before, but the new Intel Atom Z6xx series is a different animal altogether.
My answer to that is "maybe". It's still crippled with the GMA600, and they're only claiming five hours for video/web browsing. And I don't believe it can handle accelerated video encoding as the Tegra 2 can (Which has some interesting uses along with a camera).
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #24
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Sonist, are you referring to the 10 days' battery on idle, etc.? That sounds less than iPad. ...
The 10 hours idle is with a current Blackberry battery.

I'd imagine a battery comparable to the size of the iPad's lithium-ion one will do better.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #25
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
The 10 hours idle is with a current Blackberry battery.

I'd imagine a battery comparable to the size of the iPad's lithium-ion one will do better.
Comparable battery life, plus other advances, would be great. I'm all for competition.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #26
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Hopefully some company will pull their heads out of their asses and realize there's a huge amount of people who spend most of their time working with 8.5"x11" documents and make a tablet with that sized screen.
I am sure such things (or A4 since it is the international equivalent) will show up in time when companies expand, but tablets have flopped so many times in the past that it is understandable that they go for the cheaper mainstream options to start with, the smaller screens will also make it easier for them to hit weight and battery life targets too after all.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #27
dmaul1114
Wizard

To be fair, tablets have flopped in the past as they've mostly been laptops with flip around screens, or Slates that cost more than laptops etc.

If someone can go with the 8.5x11 or A4 tablet and get it out in the $500-800 (iPad) range, I think it would really take off as that screen size is simply a necessity for any heavy document work, and is a huge plus for magazines, newspapers and comics as well.

Battery life will probably be a bit lower than iPad--but maybe not since they can put bigger batteries in it (batteries take up most of the room inside the iPad case).

Cost shouldn't be much more as it doesn't really need more processing power, the iPad is fast already and the only difference here is a bigger screen. And hopefully some things like an open file system, drag and drop etc. which don't use more resources really etc.

But you're right that it will likely unfortunately be a while before we see those as most companies will opt for smaller, cheaply available 16x9 netbook and laptop screens and try to price devices under the iPad to get sales.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
This sounds interesting. I really would love to have a wireless full-function tablet...may be a pipe-dream, but looking forward to Google announcement next week and this one next month!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm very interested in tablets or convertibles, as long as they are 11-12". And it should run windows. I've absolutely no use for android or linux. Battery life isn't that important to me, as I wouldn't take it with me on camping trips, but rather use it at home, mainly for study purposes.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #30
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
They wouldn't have flopped if manufacturers weren't fixated on either the smart phone or the netbook end of things. Why couldn't tablets be stationary, e.g. attached to the refrigerator, to check on your emails, things like that.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote