Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Mutts
Mutts began at the beginning.

Device: Binatone readme
Adobe epub pdf and URLLINK.acsm

Im not happy
I have a binatone Readme - that works rather well but
if I buy books in epub or pdf format, I can used adobe digital editions to down load the file to my reader. All i get is a URLLINK.acsm.
If Digital editions cant see my device, then I'm cattle-trucked
Calibre will convert them - no probs - if i had the actual epub or pdf file and not some @~#king url link
HELP PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Mutts
Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutts View Post
All i get is a URLLINK.acsm.
Try right clicking on the .acsm file and select open with Adobe Digital Editions. Desktop ADE should read the .acsm file and download the associated PDF or ePub for you.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

If Digital editions cant see my device, then I'm cattle-trucked
Calibre will convert them - no probs - if i had the actual epub or pdf file and not some @~#king url link
HELP PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Mutts
  • As wallcraft mentioned, you don't have to use ADE to transfer to reader — only to download the real file; it'll be placed by default into My Documents\My Digital Editions folder
  • It'll be DRM-ed, so Calibre won't be able to convert it to another format, although it'll be able to transfer to device
  • You can also use the Sony Reader software to open the URLLink.acsm and download the file if you find that it works better than ADE for you.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that the Binatone Readme does not support ADE. What it supports is ...

Supported formats TXT, EBX, EBM (TBC)

So if you want support for ePub, you'll have to buy another reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Mutts

hi
That is what i tried to do except....
ADE does not recognise/support the Binatone Readme
The Calibre software supplied by Binatone does not recognise a URLLINK.acsm file.
I have found out that if I could downlaod a epub or pdf file, I cant use the Calibre software as those two formats use DRM (digital rights management) on books as an anti-piracy copy lock.
I could strip the file of its DRM, with a bit of 3rd party software but that not only defeats the object, but also could be illegal.
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Mutts

Thanks dmapr
I think that may well be worth a try
Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mutts, the Binatone Readme does not say it supports ePub or PDF on the website. So for wanting to read ePub and PDF, you will have to by a different reader.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks dmapr
I think that may well be worth a try
Mutts,

as long as the target where you want to read does not support Adobe DRM there's nothing you can do "legally".
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Mutts,

as long as the target where you want to read does not support Adobe DRM there's nothing you can do "legally".
Actually, we are not sure if it is legal to strip the DRM (fair use) and then format shift (again fair use). It's never been contested in a court of law.

But yes, one would have to strip the DDRm and then format shift in order to use ePub on a Binatone Readme. Why it supports such a poor format set, I have no idea.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, we are not sure if it is legal to strip the DRM (fair use) and then format shift (again fair use). It's never been contested in a court of law.

But yes, one would have to strip the DDRm and then format shift in order to use ePub on a Binatone Readme. Why it supports such a poor format set, I have no idea.
That's why I put legally in quotes Yes, the DMCA and fair use are at odds with each other, certainly with the content you bought. Time-limited DRM such as books borrowed from a library is a different subject, I believe it'll be harder to argue the fair use point in such a case.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
duhhuh58
duhhuh58 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i bought my daughter a kindle. i also bought a book from feedbooks not knowing that the kindle does not support epub books. it has a .acsm extension and drm security. is there anyway i can convert it so it will be read on the kindle? feedbooks support is not helpful at all.

thanks!
carol
duhhuh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
This may be a little off-topic but here goes..
Right. You're web browsing with Firefox. You've decided you want that ebook. You know, the one you've been eyeing for a while. There are two situations:
1) You get a bland link to a URLLINK.acsm file.
You click on it, it pops up a window asking you to save the file or open it with another app. It defaults to Digital Editions. Since I want to open it with Sony Reader software, I look in the little popup, but no Sony Reader mentioned.
You're forced to save it. Windows doesn't have a default file type for a .acsm file, so you'll forced to run the Sony Reader software and 'drag and drop' the acsm file to download your ebook.
Or worse yet, you anticipate, plug in your Sony Reader and both Digital Editions *and* Sony Reader software launch automatically, cluttering up your screen and generally bebothering you.
2) You get to click on a little button in a Flash program that promises to download your ebook with Digital Editions. Okay, you think, but it's a pain. You click your button, it launches Digital Editions. Then Firefox pops up a window asking you to save a acsm file or open it with another app. It defaults to Digital Editions. Since I want to open it with Sony Reader software, I look in the little popup, but no Sony Reader mentioned.
You're forced to save it. Windows doesn't have a default file type for a .acsm file, so you'll forced to run the Sony Reader software and 'drag and drop' the acsm file to download your ebook.

Both scenarios make things rather sloppy from a user perspective.
I could well imagine someone without a technical mind might find things rather confusing. In terms of the original poster, sorry mate it won't work unless you can strip DRM and convert it, which may prove more confusing; best to contact the manufacturers and complain. Maybe if you complain loud enough, they'll get with the times and provide an update so you can access our pool of ebooks in formats supported by Adobe Digital Editions (i.e. the EPUB or PDF file formats) and join us reading!

Last edited by AprilHare; 03-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhhuh58 View Post
i bought my daughter a kindle. i also bought a book from feedbooks not knowing that the kindle does not support epub books. it has a .acsm extension and drm security. is there anyway i can convert it so it will be read on the kindle? feedbooks support is not helpful at all.

thanks!
carol
Yes, you can. You need to follow the steps in this thread.
1. Download and install Adobe Reader (ADE)
2. Authorize your PC (important!)
3. Open the .acsm file with ADE, the book will be downloaded.
4. Strip the DRM of the epub (search on this forum for hints how to do this, remember Cabbages and Alf...)
5. Convert the epub to mobi with Calibre.
6. Put the mobi on the kindle
7. Complain to Amazon that the kindle does not support ePub.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But before you let Firefox download that ACSM file, you can change what app opens it before you click OK.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
doods
doods began at the beginning.

Device: binatone readme mobile
Please Help, have just brought the binatone reader mobile and having trouble reading books. When I go onto ebook and buy the books they say that they have gone onto my bookshelf, when I click on them it says I need to install uncuva which I have done but then it says that I cannot read the books because there is no device. PLEASE HELP
doods is offline   Reply With Quote