Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
So, should I ask for a replacement?

I've got the screen fade thing. Visiting the in-laws in bright (but cool) Phoenix, sitting on the patio, areas of the screen look like they were printed with an elderly toner cartridge (or a dry tape in a typewriter, for those who remember back THAT far!). Not a problem if I tilted the screen during the refresh so it was shaded while rendering the next page. Honestly the gesture was a bit like turning a page in a pBook, so not a deal-killer by any stretch.

But do the screens with the light-fade problem tend to get worse with time? Do they have other problems, or just the screen fade? Anyone have a screen with this problem that they've just decided to live with?

If I decide to exchange it, would I be better off getting a new unit shipped from Sony or just swapping it at Best Buy. i.e. if I get it from Sony will they know the next unit is from a "good" run of screens, whereas the Best Buy's stock is likely to be from the same batch?
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
If you want, you can. My 505 has the fade issue, but it isn't that bad (there are varying degrees) and it hasn't gotten worse. I usually just angle it so that shadow covers it. I even took it to the Bahamas with me and didn't have much of a problem working around it. It just wasn't worth the hassle returning it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't think your unit should have gotten worse within the few months it's been available. (I don't when you bought it.)

It may be a defective unit.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Is there a way to test this inside? There isn't a lot of sun here at this time of year, and when there is, its not very strong.

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't think your unit should have gotten worse within the few months it's been available. (I don't when you bought it.)

It may be a defective unit.

Don
It's brand new, just had it a week today, and today was the first time I've tried to use it under such bright conditions. From reading some other threads it seems like there was a bad batch of screens produced at some point?

Since others do not have this problem, my assumption is that it is a defect. Question is, is it enough of a defect to go about the hassle of returning it?
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Don't worry many other users have confirmed the fading effect when reading under intense sunlight and it's due to the way the e-ink technology works.
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If it was mine I would find someone else with the same unit and see how his reacted under the same conditions. If yours is similar accept it as a characteristic of the device. I do know mine works a heck of a lot better under those conditions than my far more expensive laptop does.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
ziegl027
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
I do know mine works a heck of a lot better under those conditions than my far more expensive laptop does.

Robert
Absolutely. My laptop would've been hopeless out there. There are times in my indoor, tree-shaded office in Minnesota that I can't read the screen of the laptop.

I'm leaning toward just dealing with it, but I know some have reported this as an apparent defect and I don't like companies "getting away with" selling things with known defects.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If you're within the time frame for a replacement, I say go for it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote