Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
505 TOC from PDF to EPUB/LRF

Hello all,

I have been experimenting with my new device and I converted one file from doc to pdf through pdflrfwin (Calibre would not allow me to convert any doc file). The resulting pdf was really good to me with the TOC working properly (on the PC, since I do not think I can use a TOC on a pdf through the Sony Reader). Now when I converted the pdf to epub and lrf, the TOC was preserved BUT it was a total chaos. It was organized and all, but when I click on any of them, it would take me to the beginning of the book instead of to that chapter.
Anybody knows how I can preserve the TOC in this situation and to have it work properly? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, I appreciate your help.
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm confused. pdflrfwin, as its name implies, converts .pdfs to .lrfs, not .docs to .pdfs.

Anyway, you'd be better off converting the .doc to an .epub directly rather than using a .pdf as an intermediary. If you want to use calibre, use Word or OpenOffice to convert the .doc to an .rtf or .html file first. Or try one of the other tools around here, such as BookDesigner or BookCreator.

However, Sony Readers should support TOCs in PDFs if properly made. (Mine does, anyway.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Smile

I will try all that, thanks

I converted to pdf through word 2007. Then pdflrfwin to get the lrf.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you still have the Word file/ If So, try to save it as Web Page, Filtered and then use Calibre to convert to ePub and then you can edit the ePub to fix anything that needs fixing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Ok I tried doing that. I converted to rtf through word, then I converted to both epub and lrf to see how they worked on the reader. The lrf had no TOC, the epub did, but again it didnt work. It takes me to the first page instead of going to each chapter. The TOC works on word, do I have to do something specific while I convert through calibre in order to have the TOC correctly?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't save as RTF. Save as HTML the way I said and then convert.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Thanks JSWolf, I will try that right now.

*I saw your first message after I converted it, that's why I dind't try it the way you suggested.

Last edited by wayamauro; 09-25-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Ok I did all that. Now the links are there too, but they won't work as they shold. They take me to the page that is not supposed to. Would you mind telling me how I can edit an epub?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Interesting. I opened the epub on calibre and the TOC works perfect, Through the Sony Library it does not. Neither it does on the reader.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ePub uses the ZIP format for it's container. So all you have to do is unzip the ePub, edit what file(s) need editing, put them back in and go.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
wayamauro
Connoisseur

I am trying to edit the toc.ncx but it wont let me anyways. What I wonder is why it is working well on calibre and it is not on sony library and the reader. I have tried transfering from calibre to the reader too, same results.
Any suggestion?

Thanks for your help

Ok, I got it, but the way I did it was converting to lrf. The TOC will work on lrf on the reader but not on epub, I wonder why?
JSWolf you seem to like epub very much, what is the main difference with lrf?

Again, thanks!

Last edited by wayamauro; 09-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ePub allows me to easily edit the eBook and I can use the fonts of my choice. I have more control over how the ePub looks then I do with LRF.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayamauro View Post
JSWolf you seem to like epub very much, what is the main difference with lrf?
EPub files are HTML files, zipped, with some metadata attached to make them read as ePubs. They are customizable and user-editable, by anyone who knows how to edit HTML files, especially with CSS. (Which doesn't include me, but it's hardly an obscure skill.) EPub files are readable by many devices and with many programs, and because they're HTML-in-a-package files, easily convertible to other formats, if that's desired.

LRF files are only readable on Sony devices and by a couple of programs (Sony's library and Calibre, neither of which is designed as a just-a-reader program), and aren't as customizable in layout or other details.

That said, the Sony series renders LRFs better than ePubs; it doesn't support all of ePub's options (like fully justified text), and it puts the ePub page numbers over the text. And a lot of commercially made ePubs are poorly designed, with wide margins that get wider when the text is made bigger.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Oh I see the differences guys. Well I like epub too, but I couldn't find out why the TOC did not work on it while it worked on lrf. It is odd to me, if it works on one it should work on the other, I guess.
I have also noticed lrf looks a bit better sometimes, but, and please correct me if I am wrong, it seemed to me that an lrf takes longer to open on the reader than an epub file.
Thanks for your explanations, very useful.