Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Could touch technology improve your reading experience?
Yes 58 65.17%
No 12 13.48%
Maybe 19 21.35%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
PVI adding "touch" to eink

Standard touchscreen functionality for new eink stuff

Quote:
Leading global ePaper display vendor PVI will announce new product Touch EPD in the 2008 Society of Information Display Exhibition in Los Angeles. “Touch Reader combines innovative touch panel technology and PVI’s existing e-paper product.” says PVI Chairman and CEO Scott Liu, “By humanizing e-paper’s user interface, we expect this new product to spur demands for e-books and solidify PVI’s leadership position in the global ePaper market.”
PVI is now the leading vendor for all the available e-book products in the world. Until now none of the major e-book reader products targeting on consumer electronics marker has combined the touch technology with e-paper. One of the strengths of ePaper is that, as a reflective display, reading it does not strain the eye the way reading a traditional computer screen would. However, because e-paper emits minimal backlighting, when combined with traditional resistive touch panels (which has the light throughput of only 80 – 85%), the book becomes too dark to read. Combining capacitive touch panels is also not ideal either, as the cost is too high and stylus handwriting recognition does not work.
http://www.pvi.com.tw/en/news/news_view.php?lists=8
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does anyone know that this means:

Quote:
Combining capacitive touch panels is also not ideal either, as the cost is too high and stylus handwriting recognition does not work.
Wacom-type touch screens, such as are used on the iLiad and on Tablet PCs, can certainly be used for handwriting recognition. Is this not what's meant by "capacitive touch panels"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Wacom-type touch screens, such as are used on the iLiad and on Tablet PCs, can certainly be used for handwriting recognition. Is this not what's meant by "capacitive touch panels"?
Wikipedia knows http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_screen#Capacitive
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
By "don't work", I assume they mean "don't work well". I've owned a couple of Tablet PCs. Handwriting recognition is something that has to work perfectly, or it isn't worth it. At first you think it does, you start to use it, and then things start to go "Point Blimfark", to borrow a phrase recently exposed here.

A few words are misinterpreted. Ah, no problem, I'll just "train" it a bit more. Then a bit more, then a bit more, before you realize you're in a Cassini fractal of irreducible error, and that you've spent so much time on this that you are thoroughly behind the curve on all those supposed productivity gains, and that you can type faster, anyway.

Then there is the "lag" factor, which you can only accommodate by retraining your brain to accept a temporal delay in the action/reaction feedback loop.

They "don't work".

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-20-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Handwriting recognition is something that has to work perfectly, or it isn't worth it.
It can never "work perfectly", I don't think - or at least not if your handwriting is as bad as mine. I can't read my own handwriting a week after I've written something, so I wouldn't expect a machine to be able to .

Seriously, I think that "perfection" is a rather unrealistic goal.
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
By "don't work", I assume they mean "don't work well". I've owned a couple of Tablet PCs. Handwriting recognition is something that has to work perfectly, or it isn't worth it. At first you think it does, you start to use it, and then things start to go "Point Blimfark", to borrow a phrase recently exposed here.

A few words are misinterpreted. Ah, no problem, I'll just "train" it a bit more. Then a bit more, then a bit more, before you release you're in a Cassini fractal of irreducible error, and that you've spent so much time on this that you are thoroughly behind the curve on all those supposed productivity gains, and that you can type faster, anyway.

Then there is the "lag" factor, which you can only accommodate by retraining your brain to accept a temporal delay in the action/reaction feedback loop.

They "don't work".
Oh, I don't know. I've got a tablet with Vista at work, now. Although, almost everybody is complaining about this OS - the included handwriting recognition is superb. Without any training, it recognized my terrible "spider crawlings" almost perfectly. Since I don't usually use handwriting, that "almost" didn't bother me. But, I was really surprised at the quality of recognition - it gave really a VERY low percentage of errors and you have no idea how terrible my handwriting looks (even to me - or should that be "to myself"?).
Usual disclaimers apply - not associated with MS just the usual unhappy customer ;-)

Cheers,
Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
See what you think in a month. Note - I'm not vested in my position. I'd love to hear that it works nowadays.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I use hardwriting recognition a lot on my iPaq. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I think they mean that a plastic stylus will not work with a capacitive touch panel rather than handwriting recognition itself (the assumption being that you will want to write with a plastic stylus so as not to scratch the display). The plastic stylus will work with the resistive touch panel but the light transmission is too low to use on a reflective display. If it is only 80% transmissive and the light has to pass through it twice then one third of the light is lost.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is presumably what Astak will be using in its touch screen versions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
They are going to demonstrate the touch panel at SID International Symposium today and tomorrow. Anyone going to be there?

Quote:
The zTouch 3.0 demo unit -- as well as a 15" point-of-sale device -- will be on display at the SID International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition from May 20-22 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. F-Origin and PVI will be exhibiting the zTouch 3.0 demo unit at booth number 627 on the showroom floor. In addition, Scott Liu will be speaking at the Exhibitor Forum to explain the details and benefits of the F-Origin solution for PVI's ePaper displays. The forum, titled "A Human Interface for eReader -- PVI's Innovation in Making eReader more User Friendly," will take place in West Exhibit Hall B at 12:00 PM on May 20th.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
They are going to demonstrate the touch panel at SID International Symposium today and tomorrow. Anyone going to be there?

Yes, I saw it in person. The touch screen is awesome!
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
Photos pleeeeeeeease!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
In what way does it differ from the iLiad's touch screen?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
Jason
Jason began at the beginning.

e-ink epson electrical paper demonstration

video 2008 display in tokoy :

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e ink, pvi, touch screen