Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Three years and counting

Just discovered that it is three years since I bought my first Kindle, so I went into my Amazon account to see how many books I've bought, turns out it is 16 pages, many of those purchases are multiple books. I checked my old regular book purchases and those were 11 pages over eight years. So all in all I'd say that Amazon's strategy of increasing book sales by providing a reader around cost is paying off for them.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Interesting points you make Kumabjorn

I've owned an ereader for 2 years now (Sony 650), and my purchase of hard copy books is about the same level as prior to the purchase and they consist of non-fiction.

However, my fiction book list has increased by maybe 300 because of all the freebies (Amazon, Kobo, Sony).

Yep - I've made some non-fiction and fiction ebook purchases (only using vouchers) and they may number 20.

So - the purchase of ereader devices has worked out financially beneficial for me.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Interesting. It'll be 3 years in September for me since my wife got me a kindle 3 for my birthday (after incessant unsubtle hints). I'd always snubbed my nose at ereaders - gimmick, waste of money, I like real books, don't want to read off a screen, etc. - until I saw the Kindle 3 was $139 and it now seemed like a real possibility and I learned about e-ink technology learned about places like Project Gutenberg and here, and suddenly I did a "180" and had to have one. I haven't looked back.

I'd say that I too buy more books than before, at least in terms of new books. I used to be a major troller of used bookstores, and to keep costs manageable I still do that to some extent, as well as check out library books, ebook if available, physical book if not. But I buy a LOT of Kindle books. And I'd read every single book as an ebook if it were feasible. In the last year or two I've really gotten into audiobooks in a big way as well.

I sometimes buy new physical books as gifts, but no more for myself anymore, not that I bought a lot of new books to begin with.

By far the biggest casualty of getting an ereader has been Paperback Swap. I used to use that site religiously, now only occasionally.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For those with detalied lists (or access to same) of purchases before and after, a worthy exercise would be to compare the total amount spent on books before and after and the average cost per book.

Me, I'm spending about the same but getting a whole lot more books, even though I never was a big hardcover buyer. What has almost totally dried up is my purchases to mass market paperback. I've long been into ebooks (since the PDA era) but finding good and affordable commercial ebooks was a challenge. You really needed to dig.

Now, all the skill needed is critical reading skills and knowledge of your own tastes.
I like it better this way.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've had my Kindle Paperwhite for only 7 months and have bought a total of 75 Amazon Kindle books.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I bought my first e reader in May 2010 and my first kindle in September 2010. So I've just passed my three year anniversary too.

In that time I've bought hundreds of e books.

Edit: The manage my kindle page says I've got 407 items. Some of them were free but most were paid for - at least 370. I spend more on books now than I did before I was reading ebooks. I've also bought books from the ePub stores too.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 06-18-2013 at 12:00 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I had my 3 year koboversary in May. I have purchased (for money, not freebies) 274 books from them. I have probably bought about another 50 books elsewhere.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I bought my 1st kindle (a k3) in 2011 (march 11th), and got my Paperwhite as a result of the winter contest this last Dec. and am enjoying it. Have got several 1000 free ebooks and a few that I couldn't resist buying.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not even want to know how much I have spent on books since I went digital. Of course I would still have spent more buying DT books if I had not gone digital.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I got my first Kindle in January 2010 as a birthday gift. On my Manage Your Kindle page it says I have 157 items. But I have purchased books for my Kindle at other places, so, I'm sure I'm over 200 ebooks purchased.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I got my first Kindle in January 2010 as a birthday gift. On my Manage Your Kindle page it says I have 157 items. But I have purchased books for my Kindle at other places, so, I'm sure I'm over 200 ebooks purchased.
Sounds like a great gift to get for a birthday. I know my pastor got his wife a Paperwhite for her last birthday.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I got my iRiver about two years ago this October, then the TF300 this past October. Pattern, maybe?

Either way, my book buying has gone up a little bit. Mostly, though, I've been downloading ebooks from Gutenberg instead of buying.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Is this a "support" type thread?

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I got my iRiver about two years ago this October, then the TF300 this past October. Pattern, maybe?

Either way, my book buying has gone up a little bit. Mostly, though, I've been downloading ebooks from Gutenberg instead of buying.
I get a lot of mine here at MR.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I got my Kindle 1 in April 2008. I'm up to 53 pages of Kindle books (789 books). I'll subtract 1 1/2 pages for Dictionaries and User Guides that I did not purchase but are included in the list.

A big chunk of those are freebies (1/3+?) especially from the first 2 years. I'll never read them all.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote