Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
kinghippo
kinghippo began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Kurzweil 3000

Hello

I am using a program called Kurzweil 3000 to read my textbooks in school. It is for disabled students who are physically unable to read from a book. As you may know many textbooks are not available as e-books. Whenever my textbooks are unavailable as e-books I have to purchase the textbook and the university scans the book page by page destroying it in the process.

I have bought many text books over the years and have accumulated quite a few books that I would like to keep after graduation. The problem with that is Kurzweill 3000 has to be renewed each semester with a custom serial key. I am graduating next year and it bothers me that I'll be unable to use these books once I've graduated.

The file extension is .kes. I tried searching the forum but I couldn't find any previous threads about Kurzweil 3000.

Thanks
kinghippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghippo View Post
The file extension is .kes. I tried searching the forum but I couldn't find any previous threads about Kurzweil 3000.
According to this Kurzweil 3000 can save to a number of different formats.

But I know nothing about the program otherwise, so don't take my word for it :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
My husband is blind so we use Kurzweil 1000 to scan documents into a format he can access, either .doc, .rtx or mp3. If you open the .kes files you can save them in any of these formats, although I'm not sure Kurzweil 3000 has the option for mp3. Once saved they can be opened in any word processor or converted to a preferred ereader format using Calibre if you intend to use an ereader. Hope this helps.
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
mdroush
mdroush began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you are a US citizen, I would suggest you look into getting a Bookshare membership (bookshare.org). This will support access for you during school, and after you graduate.

On the Kurzweil issue, I'll have to take a look at a computer around here that has Kurzweil 3000 on it to see all the "save as" formats... but I remember it being pretty inflexible. The good news is, even if the best we can get out of it are image files of the scanned pages, you can use something like Google Docs (Drive) with an extension like Read&Write to do some of the same basic things Kurzweil 3000 does (scan pages, convert to text, read and highlight spoken text), and they don't cost a cent.
mdroush is offline   Reply With Quote