Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Everyone I have seen post on the subject has ended up owning up to some violation of Amazons terms of service.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Everyone I have seen post on the subject has ended up owning up to some violation of Amazons terms of service.
Of course they did. Although some account cancellations weren't always clear cut even after the reasons were exposed. Bottom line the odds of having your account cancelled are extremely remote. I agree this whole thread is much ado about nothing, but it doesn't hurt to have your books stripped of DRM and backed up for your personal use. One day your current reader will break and it is nice to have flexibility in deciding what reader you buy next.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed. At the very least, your books should be saved on your computer and some place else, like a cd. If something happens you have the choice of stripping the DRM or not.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #34
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think (or hope) they would dare make such a bold move. It reminds me of the Blu-ray specifications that theoretically allow for corporations to remotely disable your player should they find illegally downloaded movies on it or something. But after many years of Blu-rays being around, I never heard of such a scenario actually happening.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Those who had 1984 and Animal Farm deleted three years ago (the first publicly known instance of Amazon remotely deleting stuff) didn't. Not was Amazon in the wrong to do so, given that they had the ability to do so when the works in question were sold illegally. They handled it very, very poorly (and in violation of their TOS), especially after claiming they couldn't delete stuff off the device once you'd bought it, but given they ability, they had no choide but to do so. Their TOS now cover that circumstance.

But those people who had bought those books and had them deleted were innocent victims.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Some people are spamming the Kindle Paperwhite and other Kindles reviews with this misinformation. They trying to bring the rating down I think. I saw 10 spam reviews over there last night.

Do a search in the reviews for Defective by design and you will see there is some sort of smear campaign going on.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Those who had 1984 and Animal Farm deleted three years ago (the first publicly known instance of Amazon remotely deleting stuff) didn't. Not was Amazon in the wrong to do so, given that they had the ability to do so when the works in question were sold illegally. They handled it very, very poorly (and in violation of their TOS), especially after claiming they couldn't delete stuff off the device once you'd bought it, but given they ability, they had no choide but to do so. Their TOS now cover that circumstance.

But those people who had bought those books and had them deleted were innocent victims.
And they all got a free book plus the removed book.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #38
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
And they all got a free book plus the removed book.
And, as I recall, a $30 credit. I remember wishing I had gotten in on this.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I thought it was first a free book and then they added a choice of 1984 or a second ebook. The total value was $30.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #40
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I thought it was first a free book and then they added a choice of 1984 or a second ebook. The total value was $30.
Immaterial, no matter what they did to correct the error. The fact we are still talking about them removing the book is proof it was a PR disaster from which they haven't fully recovered.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #41
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
The first round of articles were full of incorrect information. Nearly every important point was, in fact, wrong. You're complaining about something that didn't happen.
The first article was just a huge quote of the lady, I doubt that it was wrong. It favored her view. Facts are facts. You who probably didn't read it, believe what you want. It was obvious what happened...
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #42
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Do a search in the reviews for Defective by design and you will see there is some sort of smear campaign going on.
Hehe, Makes me chuckle.

I'd like to interject, you say Defective by design. I prefer to say GNU/Defective by design.

I love Richard Stallman and muh freedums. Defective by design used to be focused on Apple. It's good to see it getting in on Amazon's drm.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Hehe, Makes me chuckle.

I'd like to interject, you say Defective by design. I prefer to say GNU/Defective by design.

I love Richard Stallman and muh freedums. Defective by design used to be focused on Apple. It's good to see it getting in on Amazon's drm.
It's for the wrong reasons they're using the story of that Lin who lied about removal of her Kindle content when her Kindle was really broken. I hate spammers of any kind. It one thing to write letters and email but to leave one star reviews is not the way to do this.

If people want DRM gone they need to bug the publishers! They are the ones to blame not Amazon. DRM is optional and Almost all KDP books are DRM Free. DRM is turn off by default when one uploads their book to sell by Amazon.

There is so much misinformation out there that these people need to grow up. You want DRM gone then bug and boycott the Publishers who use it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #44
Valentino
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's for the wrong reasons they're using the story of that Lin who lied about removal of her Kindle content when her Kindle was really broken. I hate spammers of any kind. It one thing to write letters and email but to leave one star reviews is not the way to do this.

If people want DRM gone they need to bug the publishers! They are the ones to blame not Amazon. DRM is optional and Almost all KDP books are DRM Free. DRM is turn off by default when one uploads their book to sell by Amazon.

There is so much misinformation out there that these people need to grow up. You want DRM gone then bug and boycott the Publishers who use it.
Ahh I didn't know that they were using this story to spread their message. It was obvious from the start that it was bogus. Their mission is to kill drm while munching on the linux kernel. This actually made me sad. I do like the GNU license and their spriit, some don't. I do hope they focus more on Amazon drm. This just makes them look bad though.

You are correct on every account, but this particular group will harass hardware vendors that are closed systems. They just want the public to know that if you buy into this ecosystem that you are screwed by drm.

I know Richard Stallman backed their efforts, and he is the proverbial warrior for our generation.

//edit imo.

Last edited by Valentino; 11-11-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Immaterial, no matter what they did to correct the error. The fact we are still talking about them removing the book is proof it was a PR disaster from which they haven't fully recovered.
Ask the average person with an ereader about 1984 and I would put good money on the fact that they have no clue what happened. The knowledge that said event happened is highly correlated to how frequently you post on boards like this. People here discuss it and so new posters learn about it but we are not even close to the average user.

We know that DRM exists, there are folks who buy an ereader and think that you can buy books from any store and put them on your Kindle. They are clueless about different formats, drm, and drm stripping.

If the average person knew about the 1984 incident and thought it was a PR problem, the Kindle would not be the top selling ereader In the US. People would fear this type of thing happening and would buya Nook, Kobo, or Sony. So either. Amazon did a great PR job and people are not afraid or Amazon did a Great PR job and most people are clueless because it is a nonissue for the average user.

Heck, it is a nonissue for most ereader users at this site.