Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #46
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
What the. Okay, I had no idea this was a thing, and I'm pretty freaking nerdy. The Kandles take CR2032s, though, and a quick google doesn't turn up much except scrounging them from PC mobos.
I'm quite a geek myself, and have myself bought cheap batteries (9V, 12V, 32V), taken them apart and used the button cell batteries in my gadgets. It's a lot cheaper than buying button cells one at a time.

The "name" of tha battery doesn't matter. Voltage and physical dimension is all that matters. The battery you mention is 3V, and I don't think 3V button cells batteries are used to make bigger batteries, so you might be out of luck in this case
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #47
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can turn the light off on the Paperwhite too -- just not with the slider.

Using a launcher of root shell, the commands to read or change the screen brightness (including completely off) are shown here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2252313

The screen brightness values are 0 to 255, but the slider only goes form 1 to 254. I am not sure if that was by design, or a coding error in the firmware.
Hmm, interesting. Anyone got a picture of their paperwhite with the light off?
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #48
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Pictures - also crazy how great the contrast of the K4B is in comparison!! The bright spot on the K4B is from reflecting back my camera lens.
I bought the red leather case for like 10 bucks on Ebay, and it already came with the right slits in it, but, as you can see, you can also clip the light to the front cover when folded over, though it is not as fixed in that position.
Guys, please don't think my PWs look that great, because they don't. I have a hard time photographing the defects with my camera.
Going by those pics, and my PW as well reading with an attached light on my K2, I'd much rather read on the PW. The contrast, in terms of the difference between the the background and the text, the PW is better, also helps that it's more even. The text looks darker on the K4B but the background is also much darker.

Obviously it's whatever your personal tastes are, good thing there is the option there for people.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #49
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuceman44 View Post
Hmm, interesting. Anyone got a picture of their paperwhite with the light off?
You really cannot tell the difference between screen brightness 1 (slider minimum) and 0 (off) unless you are in a dark room.

The light is also completely off while displaying a screensaver. You can turn the light ON in screensaver mode, using an SSH shell and the commands at my posted link.

To me, with screen brightness minimum or off, my PW screen looks about the same as my K5 (other than slightly increased screen resolution).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
What the. Okay, I had no idea this was a thing, and I'm pretty freaking nerdy. The Kandles take CR2032s, though, and a quick google doesn't turn up much except scrounging them from PC mobos.
FWIW CR2032s are everywhere and you can get the batteries at walmart, walgreens, radioshack, your neighborhood grocery store etc.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #51
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
FWIW CR2032s are everywhere and you can get the batteries at walmart, walgreens, radioshack, your neighborhood grocery store etc.
When I referred to googling, I meant regarding the original topic of 'hacking' (scrounging batteries that have been bundled into other batteries, link upthread), not acquiring them in the normal form. Thank you though. I usually buy the cheap ones in bulk on Amazon or eBay. I fall asleep with the light on frequently so it's better for me to waste cheap batteries with a low lifespan than a $7 pack of name brands.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #52
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Are we still talking lights ? If we are, then check the verso I todl you about, the arc one. It charges over usb and I was very happy with it for my k4, as I was with the m-edge light too.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Although it probably will be a while before the Kindle Paperwhite will be available in Europe I've decided that when Amazon opens their Dutch store (which should be this month) I'm going to get the new Kindle 4. My KK is working great, however I would like a reader that is smaller and since I'm not using the keyboard that much I've decided to get the K4B.

If Amazon gets their act together and has solved all the problems of the PW I might get it when it's available in Europe but I'll probably wait until the generation.
The K4B is a great little reader! You'll love it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #54
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Are we still talking lights ? If we are, then check the verso I todl you about, the arc one. It charges over usb and I was very happy with it for my k4, as I was with the m-edge light too.
Thanks, checking it out, although the Verso Arc light review score is pretty poor. Gonna read and find out why.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #55
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, checking it out, although the Verso Arc light review score is pretty poor. Gonna read and find out why.
it was if i remember well because of the usb. I never had trouble with it though...
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #56
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
it was if i remember well because of the usb. I never had trouble with it though...
Lots of recent reviews saying it stopped holding a charge (or never started).
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #57
aceflor
Wizard

oh. I never had this... but I got mine a while ago.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #58
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
After all the good stuff I've heard on the K4B (mostly from you, Blossom), I really wish they would make a K5B or KTB or whatever you would call a second generation Kindle Touch. If I could get the K4B as a touch, I would be happy.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #59
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Thanks for responses so far (I'm reading everything that gets posted.) Good to know there is a smaller Mighty Bright (Brite?).

For reference, I've been using the Kandle, although I think mine is an older model than pictured. It's really not too bad, except for batteries. It uses watch-type batteries that you pretty much have two options on:

1) Buy very expensive name-brand ones

2) Buy a whole lot of super cheap import ones that don't last nearly as long

I have a habit of falling asleep while reading, so I went with #2. It's still annoying as you have to haul out a jeweler's screwdriver (they provide one) to swap batteries. Overall it's been 'acceptable', but if I have the refund from my Paperwhite I wouldn't mind trying something more expensive (assuming I keep the Kindle Keyboard rather than go with a different lighted reader). Having the ability to recharge batteries myself would be nice though.

We both currently have the Kandle configuration, so we both grudgingly tolerate occasionally being blinded by the other person. (I've gotten in the habit of sleeping with a pillow over my head as I get older anyway.)
I wonder if by any chance you have IKEA shop near you? Because they sell those batteries and cheap. And they have decent life. To unscrew I use a small knife or even a pointed nail file. And I also have the older model of kandle for my K3 (I clip it on the left, it covers the left back button)
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #60
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I wonder if by any chance you have IKEA shop near you? Because they sell those batteries and cheap. And they have decent life. To unscrew I use a small knife or even a pointed nail file. And I also have the older model of kandle for my K3 (I clip it on the left, it covers the left back button)
Not close, but I'll be going to a concert out of town in a few weeks with an already-scheduled stop at the nearby IKEA the next day. Thanks!