Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #166
monstermummy
monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle
And the costin the UK is £119 which comes to $186 if my currency converter is not letting me down

Considering now to get the t1 as I can get that for £100 (at least yesterday when I last looked)
monstermummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #167
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Sorry tomn - you obviously missed the relatively important rider on all products supposedly on offer - "This product is no longer available" ..............

It's certainly a new twist in marketing, even by Sony standards ....

[ * and also interesting - even though there aren't any to actually sell - is the apparent reluctance to denote the actual model in the "hook" initial description of any of them.
Not (superseded/old generation) 501/650/300/350/etc.... but a generic "Reader" description. ]
They were available but must have sold quickly. I looked the day before and there were none listed at all
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #168
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermummy View Post
And the costin the UK is £119 which comes to $186 if my currency converter is not letting me down

Considering now to get the t1 as I can get that for £100 (at least yesterday when I last looked)
Typical. If I remember correctly the normal excuse is that vat rates are different in the us. I don't actually know if that is true
Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #169
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
Typical. If I remember correctly the normal excuse is that vat rates are different in the us. I don't actually know if that is true
Not to the tune of 50%, no.
But yes, States that have sales tax tend to be lower than European VAT rates.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #170
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I find it disappointing, no real improvements comparing to the TRS-1 or the 650; the bezel is still very large, the screen is still 600x800, and no frontlight.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #171
thomasn75
Groupie

I will be interesting to see what amazon comes out with. Unfortunately for Sony i think they will be more likely to innovate rather than just reissue last year's model
Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #172
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
As now are more deatails available I partly have to revert my first impression:

The black frame looks quite good (if it's not just rubberized shiny plastic), but the other 2 colours are glaring like the T1. Not impressed...

Obviously there still exits the old glitch with bold and italic letters when changing fonts. Very unprofessional as skilled users are able to fix it and a company like Sony isn't able to manage it.

On the other hand, reading the handbook, I can hardly see much inovation in the software.

So I see a slightly better frame, perhaps better buttons at the price of audio.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 08-17-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #173
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
just remember...
only the black version has the matte finish.
white and red are glossy.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #174
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not to the tune of 50%, no.
But yes, States that have sales tax tend to be lower than European VAT rates.
I can think of two big things for the major difference in price:
- We don't list tax on any prices here, so VAT will account for some the difference.
- The US' tariff system is kinda goofy, and I'd be surprised if the tariffs in the UK weren't higher than the US on Chinese-made consumer goods.

There's gotta be a bean counter around somewhere who knows the real answer.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #175
thomasn75
Groupie

well 139 dollars = £89 * 1.20(vat) = 106.8

dont know what the rest might be but could be import duty as you say(or just profiteering by sony
Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #176
rubentje1991
Enthusiast
rubentje1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Euro price

I got an e-mail from Sony today, that pre-ordering of PRS-T2 was possible now - at a price tag of €140 (I live in Belgium)...

I think my brother's going to have an ereader (chance is high it's going to be that one).... but I'm not going to upgrade (my Gecko cover simply covers the shiny bezels, so no problems there - and the "opened" android is now working stable)
Only persuasive thing is the better battery in the new version (but it's good enough in mine)... Maybe next year for me...
rubentje1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #177
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Pictures...

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ebouquin/7801250134/

I think, i'm going to starter a new thread with this pictures.

Last edited by ersott; 08-18-2012 at 03:27 AM.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #178
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijac View Post
My daughters have the T1, but we never found out to hack the T1 to use a file manager to navigate a folder structure and launch ebooks from there. Can you tell me more?
And how to disabled the scan modus from the sd-card?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks

If you have some Android experience, you could try this one:
http://sonyfmngr.sourceforge.net/prsT1.htm
Then you can add the File Manager of your choice and whatever reading apps you like.

I've been running Boroda's minimal root set without issues since december: It installs Coolreader3, Zeam Launcher, and the Root explorer File Manager.

One of these days I might try one of the newer ones but this one does what I need: run Kindle, Audible, and Coolreader. I rarely use the native Sony reader app.

Your Mileage may vary, as usual.

Good luck!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #179
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
it looks very nice actually...

http://i.imgur.com/fn4Ve.jpg
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #180
thomasn75
Groupie

I agree. I found this German video on YouTube. I was curious about the page turns as the flashing on the t1 bothers me sometimes. To me it actually looks like they have improved it quite a bit. Generally it seems to be a faster machine.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFjoeVzlAGk