Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
bschase2
bschase2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch Cover with Light

Hello all-

I recently received a Kindle Touch as a gift. I have had the Kindle 2 and 3, so I am happy to have a new one!

I am looking to buy a case, and the amazon one with the light seems very helpful, however I am concerned about the angle of the light. I purchase this one http://www.octovo.com/category/kindl...reader-light-0 for my Kindle 2, and had to replace it. The angle I read at results in the light shining in my eyes. The Kindle always seems to be leaning slightly backwards, the bottom closer to me than the top.

So, I purchase another (The Kandle http://www.amazon.com/Kandle-Ozeri-D.../dp/B0031116K8) which is good as I adjust the angel of the light.

My question is, does the case with light work like the octovo, and the angle is not adjustable, or like the Kandle, which is.

Thanks for the advice!
bschase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
There is no angle adjustment on the Amazon Kindle cover and if you lean the device back it will shine in your eyes. It is convenient because it is powered off the devices battery, but the angle of the light is poor. Some people have made little shrouds from tape, but for $60 I don't think you should need to do that.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
ron0909
Enthusiast
ron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with others

Device: K-3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite
Just curious...does the Kindle Touch mount to the Amazon cover in the same way as the
K3 does? (2 clips on left side, one of them spring loaded?) The reason I ask is that I'd like to purchase a Touch soon and I make my own lighted covers.

Thanks
Ron
ron0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ron0909: Nope, it works like the K4 instead (2 points of contact on the lower back).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
There is no angle adjustment on the Amazon Kindle cover and if you lean the device back it will shine in your eyes. It is convenient because it is powered off the devices battery, but the angle of the light is poor. Some people have made little shrouds from tape, but for $60 I don't think you should need to do that.
Exactly that. I got one as a present. The plus is the fact that it powers off the device, so there is no need for separate batteries (but battery life does suffer - I recharge my Kindle ever 3-4 days when using the cover at night).

The angle of the light is fixed, and it stinks. You need to apply something (tape?) so it does not shine into your eyes when reading in bed. And the light is not very uniform - it is not as much of a horizontal problem, as a vertical one (the right and left edges of the screen get less light than the middle).

Also, the cover scratches VERY easily. And I mean, VERY. I have one and two of my friends do as well. All of the covers got scratched coming out of the box. It's so soft, it get scratched putting in-and-out of a backpack - even if you are careful.

In terms of color, the dark purple looks very nice - I guess it's subjective, but I like it a lot, and so do my friends.

It's hard to take off, but I guess you don't really need to do that very often. But the other side is that it offers great protection, as it 'envelops' the device. Of course, it adds some weight, but the weight is much more balanced than other covers with lights I have used (such as the SONY).

The arm is sturdy and, even after heavy use, I see no signs of it loosening. the light also turns off when putting the device in standby, which is great if you have the habit (like me) of falling asleep when reading in bed.

Overall, I would give it a thumbs-up, if not for the awkward fixed angle. As it is, I prefer reading in bed with my SONYs with lighted covers.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
ron0909
Enthusiast
ron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with others

Device: K-3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ron0909: Nope, it works like the K4 instead (2 points of contact on the lower back).
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll need to see one up close. Luckily the non lighted
K3 cover had the same clips as the lighted one and I was able to make my own
flex neck removable LED light. I'm off to the local Radio Shack to see the covers. Hopefully there is a better cheaper solution than the Amazon lighted cover. Sorry to barge into the thread guys.
Ron
ron0909 is offline   Reply With Quote