Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #31
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Considering that Amazon seem to have forgotten to get Apple to make the Kindle iPhone app worldwide I'm not holding my breath waiting for a PC app.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #32
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Why should I go with a company who are only doing the minimum after being forced into it by their competition outplaying them?
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #33
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Mobipocket stops accepting new publishers; the Kindle goes international; and now there is finally a Kindle Reader on my PC. I guess Amazon really is going to kill off Mobipocet.
Not likely. Mobipocket Reader already does most of the stuff they note for Kindle Reader PC (KRPC?). What do you want to bet the "development process" is primarily authorizing PIDs with "$" in addition to "*"? Oh, yeah, and a global search-and-replace for "Mobipocket" with "Kindle". The Mobi bookstore will probably be terminated, but by merging it into the Kindle store, AKA Amazon.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
From my observations of how TOPAZ ebooks display on a Kindle's screen, they seem to contain an embedded font as bitmaps in six fixed sizes and the "font" is based on scans of the actual document (so some letters could appear twice if it does not scan well and the OCR software ends up with two canonical glyphs). This embedded font is then used for more or less conventional OCR transcription into "text". However, this could be completely wrong. So far as I know, Amazon has never discussed TOPAZ in public.

Is the iPhone font anti-aliased? It isn't on the Kindle, which is one reason I think there are actual bitmaps in the ebook.
I think we're kind of talking at cross purposes here. I agree that on the Kindle, Topaz books display as bitmaps. I thought it was different from how they look on the iPhone, but now, I'm not so sure. Perhaps I was confused because, IMO, the Topaz books don't look nearly so bad (and navigation is much faster) on the iPhone.

Sorry for the confusion.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Why should I go with a company who are only doing the minimum after being forced into it by their competition outplaying them?
Again, this has likely been in the works for awhile. And every vendor responds to the competition, that's how things work.

For example, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that B&N is getting into ebooks and releasing their own device (years late) because they were "outplayed" by others, or that Sony plans to add wireless because they were "outplayed" by Amazon, and so forth. If anything, it's a good thing that all of these companies are pushing each other, since it will overall improve the field as a whole.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #36
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It strikes me that this is a move in the direction of -- instead of having DRM-free books available for any device, there will be Amazon DRM-ed books readable on any device (except other competing ereaders). So, no need to worry about netbooks, tablets, etc. - one store can serve all. :
One store to rule them all... yessss my precioussss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
For the non-tech buyers, why buy a new ereader with a new DRM to deal with? Just load the Kindle reading software on your current devices. A brilliant follow-up to freeing the ereader from the PC for buying/downloading books. ...

Bezos seems to be following Gates' path to monopoly: put your software on everything, or make it run on everything, and let consumers buy their way into your kingdom.
The wonder is it took him this long to figure it out. He should have started this way. And if he's smart, there'll be "Kindle on my Nook" one day soon. SDK bedamned.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
Considering that Amazon seem to have forgotten to get Apple to make the Kindle iPhone app worldwide I'm not holding my breath waiting for a PC app.
Well, I can't hold my breath for more than a few minutes anyway, so...

Don't forget that in addition to whatever time Amazon takes with its developers -- who are probably pretty busy lately -- Apple takes its sweet time in approving apps.

Plus let's face it, they announced the international service what, less than a week ago? Though I concur that Amazon is not the speediest software writers in town, a tiny bit of patience might be in order.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #38
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Plus let's face it, they announced the international service what, less than a week ago? Though I concur that Amazon is not the speediest software writers in town, a tiny bit of patience might be in order.
Amazon are a big company and would easily have the clout with Apple to get app store approval pushed through ahead of Fart App #3245. At the very least they could tell us "We're working on it. It'll be here soon".

A bit of communication goes a long way.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #39
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
One store to rule them all... yessss my precioussss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle
The wonder is it took him this long to figure it out. He should have started this way. And if he's smart, there'll be "Kindle on my Nook" one day soon. SDK bedamned.
Bezos did figure this out from the start, again the plan is to make money both from the devices and from the ebooks and treat them as separate businesses and revenue streams.

He's also said he would allow Kindle on "other devices" as long as they're willing to add Whispernet support. I can't imagine any ebook readers would accept that, so I'd assume from a practical perspective this will mean Kindle apps on more smartphones and, eventually, for OS X and possibly even Linux.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #40
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
Amazon are a big company and would easily have the clout with Apple to get app store approval pushed through ahead of Fart App #3245. At the very least they could tell us "We're working on it. It'll be here soon". A bit of communication goes a long way.
Considering that Apple has done stuff like hold up Google applications, and that Apple is not the type of company to respond to pressure like that, I don't think Amazon could do much about it. The app is free, too, so it's not like Apple will lose revenue based on a one-week delay.

And patience is also a virtue, last I checked...
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #41
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
The Amazon Kindle Facebook page/person/whatever just said a mac version would be out in a couple of months, too.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazon...8401557?ref=nf
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #42
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Cool, may use this on my netbook.

Looks like they're opening the Kindle Store to the masses!

Probably in response to the B&N thing I'll bet.
That's exactly where I plan on using this application, my netbook! Great minds, think alike!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #43
Flub
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
And patience is also a virtue, last I checked...
And communication gives you a better relationship with your customers. It's a bugbear of mine how companies are just so bad at it when 5 minutes does more to de-annoy customers than ignoring them.

Patronising doesn't help either mind, last I checked
Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #44
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Do the words "running scared" come to anyone elses mind???
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #45
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Hopefully they can crank this out pretty quickly. I think the Kindle experience is far superior to reading on a PC, I think it does open up a few interesting possibilities. (For one thing, there are periodicals for Kindle that would really benefit from a color screen.)
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote