Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
HUskerMn
HUskerMn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPhone
Fictionwise on Mac

Is there a Dummies Guide to Getting Fictionwise Content on Your Kindle Using a Mac?

I've read almost every thread I could find and am thoroughly confused.

I'm a geek but I don't really use the Command Prompt in Windows or the Terminal on my Macs.

Basically, I'm looking for a fairly straightforward, intermediate-level way to do this.

Thanks all.
HUskerMn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buy the book from the FictionWise web site. Download it to your Mac with the web browser. Copy it to the Kindle using the USB connection.

Which part of the process are you having problems with?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
HUskerMn

DRM

Everything I've read indicates a lot of the Fictionwise content is DRM's and can't even be purchased on a Mac
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUskerMn View Post
Everything I've read indicates a lot of the Fictionwise content is DRM's and can't even be purchased on a Mac
That's not true. You can use a Mac to buy two of the three DRM formats that Fictionwise sells with little trouble. You can also buy the third format (MSReader) from a Mac; just not without running Windows.

Now, reading the ebooks is another matter.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
HUskerMn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's not true. You can use a Mac to buy two of the three DRM formats that Fictionwise sells with little trouble. You can also buy the third format (MSReader) from a Mac; just not without running Windows.

Now, reading the ebooks is another matter.
Good to hear, but the last statement is the crux then.
Advert
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUskerMn View Post
Is there a Dummies Guide to Getting Fictionwise Content on Your Kindle Using a Mac?

I've read almost every thread I could find and am thoroughly confused.

I'm a geek but I don't really use the Command Prompt in Windows or the Terminal on my Macs.

Basically, I'm looking for a fairly straightforward, intermediate-level way to do this.
The most relevent thread is probably How to make Igor's script work. This is using Igor's hack to allow MOBI files registered to your Kindle's PID to work on the Kindle. The thread is for a Windows Desktop, but a Mac should be similar (I think Python is probably already installed, which should help). The bottom line is that currently the command line is the only approach available, but it should not be too difficult if you give it a try.

A GUI wrapper (on Windows or OSX) is certainly possible, but someone would have to write it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
HUskerMn

It just works! I feel like an idiot

Well, after all this consternation and research, it turns out, that for the books I want (right now), it just works. I already have a Fictionwise account and was looking at some stuff I bought and never got around to downloading from years ago. I picked MOBI (Kindle compatible format) and downloaded them.

Then, I plugged in the Kindle and dragged them to the documents folder on the Kindle. That's all there was to it. I didn't even have to buy anything new to test it.

HarryT was right with the original response. I guess I just got scared off by all the DRM talk and reading about Igorsk's scripts.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Fictionwise will email your multiformat books to your Kindle. You just have to go to your account settings and add your Kindle's email address. Remember to add kindle@fictionwise.com to your allowed email list. This is the easiest option and the one that I went with. If you don't want to pay the .10c, just download the books in mobi format and transfer over yourself.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Are we talking about their "Multiformat" books? I have the impression that the "Secure ebooks" format doesn't work as-is with a Kindle. (Ignoring any possible alteration scripts.) Am I right about this?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Are we talking about their "Multiformat" books? I have the impression that the "Secure ebooks" format doesn't work as-is with a Kindle. (Ignoring any possible alteration scripts.) Am I right about this?
You're right. Without the alteration scripts their secure books don't work at all.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote