Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
masa
masa began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
How do I reset my bookreader?

Suddenly my PRS-500 reader stopped.
I pressed reset button, but it does not work.
Screen still shows texts.
How do I restart my crazy book reader?
masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
masa

I got it.
I pressed power button, than it working now.

But I already disassemblied my book reader. -_-
Advert
Old 12-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Glad you got it working. If you still have it disassembled and a camera is handy, how about a few more pics for us of the internals to add to the other ones that were posted?!

BTW, there is that one paper clip hole button (plus power as you discovered) for a soft reset. But there is also a hard reset process that has been posted here in another thread in case you are desperate. You may lose all contents with the hard reset, however, so a soft reset is preferable for first attempt.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
masa

Thank you for your kindly advise.
But I don't want same situation again
Old 12-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Is it possible to reset the reader back to the original software (books and book excepts) that came with the reader? I've tried a hard reset and that didn't restore the books. I either didn't get it right or a hard reset doesn't restore the books and I've yet to an explanation for hard reset except it "restores default settings." Any idea?

Thanks for your help!
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
jimbobuk
jimbobuk began at the beginning.

crap.. i've just tried resetting my reader after loading a new RTF came up with a page of hex and wasn't responsive.. I didn't have the manual pdf to hand (installed on another PC) but i saw what looked like the paper clip hole. reading this i saw it was to do with the power button as well and i tried pushing something into the hole gently and moving the power button.. i could feel something happening, but no reset... what is the right thing to do?

THe thing is then i noticed the power button is now sticking and no longer returning automatically to its up position, i'm assuming that hole is near the spring for that switch and i've moved it off the button.. its not even been given as a present yet and i've broke it!!!! CRAP!

I can live with the spring, hopefully it'll be repairable, i can slide the power switch back up again manually.. and back down again.. it doesn't quite make it all the way to the bottom when sliding it down, can't remember if it did before either though.

So i'm stuck at the moment

Any help?
jimbobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
jimbobuk

having found the manual i can see that me trying to press into the hole NEXT to the power switch was NOT the reset button!!!! ohh crap..

Can anyone who's taken them apart comment on the structure around the power switch.. and how easy it would be to play around with the button and its spring?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #8
jimbobuk

well after reading the manual, and managing to read how to remove the reader from its cover i reset it ok.. was then able to slide the power on and up and it all worked fine.. so the "break" that i've done is only cosmetic and a bit annoying at the moment.
I would still like to know the opinions on the feasibility of taking it apart and fixing this, from those that have taken it apart.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
jimbobuk

i'd charged it earlier today, but i've realised on a reboot following another reset that i was sticking the pin into the LED hole!!!! it still seems to flash ok.. its too late to do anything else about it.. you're help right now is REALLY appreciated.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
But there is also a hard reset process that has been posted here in another thread in case you are desperate. You may lose all contents with the hard reset, however, so a soft reset is preferable for first attempt.

Hi, where are those instructions for a hard reset of the Reader? I haven't had much luck getting any response from Sony so far ---- I still have an e-mail in from them. I'm thinking my problem with Connect suddenly not working with the Reader could maybe be solved by a hard reset even if I do lose all the content. I could put it back on, after all, from the Library.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8118

and here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8101

are two locations, there may be others,

Hmmm. Maybe that should go in the Wiki, now that I think about it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, it's in the wiki now too.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cate...t_Instructions
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Great, thanx. I did a hard reset with additional aid from a tech support guy at Sony, but that just killed all my books, it didn't fix the problem with Connect. Next step, sending it back, see if they can fix if.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
Quantum
Quantum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-reader
and now it's just a paperweight...

long story short - don't know why (only thing I can't think of is that it didn't like the books stored in the SD card I inserted), but my reader has stopped working, and only shows the startup screen (big logo and "starting up") - tried soft reset, does'nt work. tried hard reset, it actually allowed me to "reboot" it, but now it's stuck on th start page again. it's been like this for a week. the only thing I can think of is waiting for the battery to dry out and then maybe it will be off, but since I know digital ink devices only use power when changing the image on the screen, the reader could be on forever (well, not forever, but a long time).

any suggestions, other than sending it to sony (which is a huge problem, since I'm in Israel, and I would need to send it to their U.S support)?
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #15
foxyjax
foxyjax began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
I bought a Sony eReader i Canada and live in Australia. Does anyone know or where to find how I reflash my eReader?
foxyjax is offline   Reply With Quote