Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
A great use for old pBooks

Saw this on Boingboing and I love the idea. A japanese company are selling (I think) hardbacks hollowed out as planters. Now you don't have to throw away those pesky old-fashioned books that are cluttering up your life so much. Just take the lead of the japanese, hollow out the book, and soon enough you could be growing strawberries in a copy of Moby Dick

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/02...-planters.html

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
That's kinda nifty I suppose. Too bad my "green thumb" is brown and wilted.

A bad use for old pBooks: Trying to keep a ferret out of little cubbyholes. (they will claw right through them)
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
It is a great idea! I have a tendency to make planters for small plants out of everything.
All types of cacti grow slowly, they are great to plant in anything, but my favorite is in soufflé ramekins, and also ivy in glass bottles, and I made tea cups filled with this cute plant (larmes de bébé in French - I know it's not baby's breath in English, but I have no idea of the name) for a friend last Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0002307[1].jpg
Views:	183
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	31584  
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Here an idea. Glue several books together, epoxy the pages, all except for the cover of the last book. Once it dries, set it on its end, open the cover, and carve out a deep niche. Now you have a small safe that you can hide in plain sight.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sacrilege! Nobody should treat books like that .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
They're cute, but are they waterproof? And I don't think they'd fit on a windowsill very well. Oh, and how about drainage?
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Plastic lining for waterproofing and I don't think drainage is necessary, although I'm pretty sure you could drill holes in the bottom and put varnish in to waterproof the holes.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I have to agree with Harry. Keep them as they are. They're much more valuable as books than as throw-away knick-knacks.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am afraid I just couldn't bring myself to do that to any of the books I own. Sorry. Kind of unusual though
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
...I made tea cups filled with this cute plant (larmes de bébé in French - I know it's not baby's breath in English, but I have no idea of the name) for a friend last Christmas.
Hi Verencat, yes, I think there's a plant called "Baby's Breath". The one I'm thinking about has feathery foliage, very small white blooms and is often sold with cut roses. But I don't think it's the same plant as the one in your photo.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote