Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
MHC
MHC began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, old Kindle
"Upgraded" to iBooks 3.2 – Bold fonts are extra-bold, italics are now bold-italic

I updated an iPad 2 from ios6 to ios 7.06 today and also updated iBooks to the latest version (3.2). I now have the following problems in all of my books:

Bold text (serif in this case) is now a very heavy extra bold.
Regular italics are now bold italic.

Are other people seeing this? Any fixes?

I'm a designer and my bosses are set on using iBooks to review epubs for approval. There is no way they'll approve new books for publication looking like this!

I checked my files in Marvin and ADE 2.0 and they look fine. CSS file looks normal, too.
MHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It's displaying normally here, but on a current iPad, not an iPad 2.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't normally use iBooks, but I tested this out for you. On all but one serif font iBooks seemed to be displaying italics in normal weight, that is, not bold. However, if I select the font Charter then italics is displayed in bold. I suspect there is a problem with Charter. I'm using an iPad mini Retina.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
MHC
MHC began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, old Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't normally use iBooks, but I tested this out for you. On all but one serif font iBooks seemed to be displaying italics in normal weight, that is, not bold. However, if I select the font Charter then italics is displayed in bold. I suspect there is a problem with Charter. I'm using an iPad mini Retina.
That was it! What a simple thing that I didn't even think to try - I'm quick to assume the problem is with my code because there is so much that I don't know.

Thank you for taking the time to help a stranger.
MHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
That was it! What a simple thing that I didn't even think to try - I'm quick to assume the problem is with my code because there is so much that I don't know.

Thank you for taking the time to help a stranger.
You are welcome. I'm glad that helped. BTW, you should probably test out ePubs in other apps as well to make sure they are displaying correctly. iBooks might display a little differently than Marvin or Bluefire. Using multiple apps will better your chances of identifying any problems.
Advert