Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #271
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8x8 View Post
Of course there's no guarantee they won't come up with some simple '[secrets expunged]' magic some day.
ESPECIALLY after they read your post, eh?

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-09-2016 at 09:35 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #272
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
RIGHT!

I thought we agreed to stop giving Lab126 lessons, years ago.

If someone wants to help them, go to their web-site -
they have 17 pages of job openings in software engineering
and 33 pages of job openings in total.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2016, 04:21 AM   #273
Steve8x8
Steve8x8 began at the beginning.

Device: PW
I've deleted the offending content. @geekmaster: can you do the same? Thank you.
Steve8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #274
snitbit
snitbit doesn't littersnitbit doesn't litter

Device: PW2
FYI: I have the backdoor lock installed (through KUAL) but my Kindle PW2 just updated from 5.7.2.1 to 5.7.3 last night. My fault for leaving WIFI on, but I felt confident. with previous jailbreaks, the backdoor lock was very secure and I didn't need to leave it in airplane mode all the time. So I guess I need to be more careful from now on.

I do want to report that in spite of the update, KUAL was still there and all I had to do was reinstall my screensaver hack. Worked like a charm. So yay for that, and thanks to the developers who created these tools!
snitbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #275
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I am sure it was the snack that triggered it (or turning your back on it).

Thanks for your testing, slow, tedious, but the only way we know of to learn that:
firmware 5.6.5 can not defeat a directory of the name: update.bin.tmp.partial
Apparently, dinner will also trigger an OTA update
  • On March 6, I put an empty folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" in the root directory of my Kindle Voyage 5.7.2.1. I turned WiFi on and left it on 24/7 for over a month. I also plugged my KV into a/c for 24-48 hours on more than one occasion to see if it would trigger an OTA update. Nope.
  • Today, April 9, I deleted the update.bin.tmp.partial folder then went to eat dinner. When I returned an hour later, my KV had auto-updated itself to 5.7.3. Coincidence?

P.S. update.bin.tmp.partial survives reboot on 5.7.3

Last edited by odamizu; 04-09-2016 at 10:55 PM. Reason: P.S.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #276
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
[*]Today, April 9, I deleted the update.bin.tmp.partial folder then went to eat dinner. When I returned an hour later, my KV had auto-updated itself to 5.7.3. Coincidence?
I've just deleted the udate.bin.tmp.partial folder from my PW3 on 5.7.2.1, I'll let you know if I get an auto-update (and how fast it happens)
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #277
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Well that's pretty conclusive I think... PW3 is auto-updating already, just a few minutes after going to sleep with the magic folder removed and wifi on.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #278
el_topo50
Connoisseur
el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (5.7.2.1. JB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Well that's pretty conclusive I think... PW3 is auto-updating already, just a few minutes after going to sleep with the magic folder removed and wifi on.
Good to know! Thank you so much for experimenting and sharing the results!!!
el_topo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #279
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
If anyone's interested, update.bin.tmp.partial survives reboot on 5.7.4

(I didn't have the patience or inclination to run this experiment again on 5.7.3, so I went ahead and updated to 5.7.4)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #280
DropDeadAlex
DropDeadAlex began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, PW3
testing... in PW1
DropDeadAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #281
gdude
gdude began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As far as I can tell, the app on the first page does not create update.bin.tmp.partial and it doesn't work reliably on, for example, 5.6.5. Perhaps it could be updated or at least the description updated to reflect this.
To update it the app, I think all that's needed is to add "mkdir -f /update.bin.tmp.partial" to the file lock.s (this is my quick and dirty suggestion without much real reflection).
gdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #282
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
As far as I can tell, the app on the first page does not create update.bin.tmp.partial and it doesn't work reliably on, for example, 5.6.5. Perhaps it could be updated or at least the description updated to reflect this.
To update it the app, I think all that's needed is to add "mkdir -f /update.bin.tmp.partial" to the file lock.s (this is my quick and dirty suggestion without much real reflection).
Thanks for the reminder -
I'll include that (the blocker directory name) in step 7 with my next edit of the directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #283
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Random tidbit that I can't remember if we ever tried: Does a /var/local/system/SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK flag file help?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #284
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Random tidbit that I can't remember if we ever tried: Does a /var/local/system/SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK flag file help?
Which reminds me, there is a bunch of cool stuff that is not removed along with factory files before shipping -- just disabled by removal of a flag file in root '/'. The scripts themselves show the factory enable flag filename which I do not recall. Good not just for exploring the factory firmwares, but also some left-over factory options on consumer firmwares. I discovered those when I found a new way to display text on the titlebar (like the 5.6.5 JB does) on the 5.7.4 firmware. I was trying to fix the battery extension hack, but did not get that far (though I did find some cool UTF-8 symbols like an airplane icon you can display in the title bar text). Repeated long term "not allow to post here" events halted my progress (and interest) in that line of research. I know I published the details here in *some* thread (but not previously about the root flag file).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-07-2016 at 01:46 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #285
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
... I discovered those when I found a new way to display text on the titlebar (like the 5.6.5 JB does) on the 5.7.4 firmware. I was trying to fix the battery extension hack, but did not get that far (though I did find some cool UTF-8 symbols like an airplane icon you can display in the title bar text). Repeated long term "not allow to post here" events halted my progress (and interest) in that line of research. I know I published the details here in *some* thread (but not previously about the root flag file).
do you mean this?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock