Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
isis
Enthusiast
isis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Elonex, Imagin
Converting books to mobi

Hi
I have been adding books to Calibre and converting them to mobi for the kindle 3.

When I open the kindle folder in My Computer I get 3 files all for the same book, 1 is a .apnx 2 is a .mobi and the 3rd one is a .apnx, all for the one book, is that right ? Can I delete the .apnx files?

On some books I only get 2 files, they are .mbp and .mobi

Some are formatted okay some aren't formatted very well at all but are still readable.

Can anyone advise me please?

Many thanks to you xxx )
isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I am pretty sure the apnx files are for the page numbers. There is also as far as I can remember a file with bookmarks and the last page read on the kindle as well.

As far as the books being poorly formatted, calibre can often fix poorly formatted ebooks if they are not DRMed. This takes a bit of practice on the users part but is well worth it.

One of the nicest things about ereaders and calibre is that 99% of my books are formatted according to my preferences. The hardest part was figuring out what my preferences are.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
isis
Enthusiast

Hahaha that is so true Helen, thank you for the information, very helpful - I won't be deleting the files lol
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis View Post
Hahaha that is so true Helen, thank you for the information, very helpful - I won't be deleting the files lol
Listen to Helen. That was excellent advice. Learn your Preference before rushing into a wholesale conversion.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
isis
Enthusiast

Cheers Ducks x x x
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you convert ePub books to Mobi, very often the margins mess up and you end up with a very large left margin, and all the text pushed off to the side. To fix this, make sure you have the "Ignore Margins" box checked on the Mobi conversion page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
isis
Enthusiast

Thank you Harry
Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you convert ePub books to Mobi, very often the margins mess up and you end up with a very large left margin, and all the text pushed off to the side. To fix this, make sure you have the "Ignore Margins" box checked on the Mobi conversion page.
Thanks for the tip Harry. I've created some collections of books in Sigil and converted them to Mobi only to have the text show up lopsided like that. I never thought to click that box. Will have to see if using it will correct the problems I've had with some projects.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool edit css

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Thanks for the tip Harry. I've created some collections of books in Sigil and converted them to Mobi only to have the text show up lopsided like that. I never thought to click that box. Will have to see if using it will correct the problems I've had with some projects.
when that checkbox doesn't help i've been able to open the css and set the margin-left: to 0 in one or more instances.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That explains a couple of things. Thanks.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote