Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
fnatic
fnatic began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 350
The Sony Prs-350: Pros and cons?

im looking for my first Sony Ebook Reader. my friend is getting me a deal on this sony model and trying to see if its worth it. Im not a big reader but am hoping this will help me read a bit more. Is this a good model. Can i buy from different online book stores. Please just give me whatever pros and cons of this device that u think would help in my decision.

The Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-350SC ($ 180, the Model "SC" is silver, while the "PC"is the designation of the pink version) uses optical technology to Sony to allow the fingers to operate its 5-inch E-Ink Pearl.

With only 0.2 kg, is easy to hold in one hand while lying on the couch. I found the screen brighter and dramatically sharper than previous Sony technology touch screen with better contrast and clarity, more halftone images of high definition. To select only needs very light touch. You play to turn pages, as well as to get one of 12 emerging dictionaries.

Below the screen are several buttons, including zoom and options. The pen is built on the top right. The unit charges through a micro-USB port. Has slots for Memory Stick and SD Card, plus 2GB of storage. Wholesale electronics.

The options let you adjust the contrast and brightness, a novelty among the electronic readers have seen. You can also choose cheap electronics from six font sizes, from XS to XXL.

A major shortcoming is the lack of 3G and Wi-Fi. The Amazon Kindle latest Wi-Fi and 3G will sell for only $ 10 more and add an inch to the screen. You pay a high price for the ornate design of the highly portable Pocket Reader Edition.

However, among readers electronic 5-inch screens, which include models from lesser known and Bookeen Aluratek, this Sony has jumped to the head of the group. If you want an e-reader the size of paperback book, the Sony Reader Pocket Edition is the best unit you can get.

Last edited by fnatic; 12-22-2010 at 08:01 AM.
fnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Welcome to the site, fnatic.

Your device will read books from any site that sells books in Epub (preferred) or PDF (okay, but not perfect) formats except Barnes & Noble books, that are Epub, but "coded" differently. You can also get books from public libraries that offer e-books (from Overdrive).
Amazon Kindle books will not work (Epubs and PDF's don't work on their units either).

The 350 is a nice device that you'll find easy to carry around with you -- but get a case for it!

Other members will give you more details, but I wanted to get you started at least. After you get it, you'll likely have lots more questions ("Can I do this?" and "How do I do that?").
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Welcome!

you might want to do a search for "350" as there are a lot of threads where people are raving about them.

I love mine and can't think of a single "con." Some find the stylus fragile but it's been fine for me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast
Dixiemsala began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle 2
I got my 350 just for library books. I use my Kindle for everything else. I love the small size of the 350, but personally don't care for the touch screen. It does have page turn buttons but I can't seem to get used to the position of them. Reading on the 350 is fine.
Dixiemsala is offline   Reply With Quote