Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
jimbbq
jimbbq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3: merging annotation with the PDF file??

it looks like the annotation/highlight is stored in a separate file called clipping.txt. is there a way to integrate the annotation with the PDF and compiled it into a single file? thanks!
jimbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can certainly do it 'by hand' by opening My Clippings.txt and the PDF in question on your computer, and doing some copy/paste to create PDF annotations. And that migration could probably be automated with a script using an open source PDF library (maybe even with a calibre plugin?).

Still it is disappointing that Amazon chose just to mirror their existing annotation features rather than extending it to include support for actual PDF annotations (at least for now). It limits Kindle's usefulness in participating in PDF review workflows, etc., but at least there is something, and hopefully they'll add more annotation features in the future (it would help to have a touch screen for this purpose however).

Sony Reader is way ahead of Kindle in terms of its PDF features, including annotation. But their entire line now has touch screens, so it makes annotation features more accessible and obvious.

That said, there's probably nothing better for portable PDF functionality right now than an iPad.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
jimbbq
jimbbq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I do think kindle desperately needs a touch screen to completely replace my use of paper!
jimbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
drk
drk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
I agree that the Sony Reader is ahead in terms of PDF annotation. I have a Sony PRS-900 (Daily Edition) and just got a Kindle 3 3G for my girlfriend. Neither device will incorporate annotations into the PDF file, which is understandable since the file would have to be re-written, but I really wished the desktop software which come with the devices (Reader Library and Kindle Desktop) would do that as post-processing.

Sony Reader annotations are stored as XML files and I hope some enthusiastic programmer or 3rd party developer (or even Sony themselves maybe?) will come up with a tool to merge these annotations into the actual PDF file. The Kindle annotation file seems a bit more difficult to hack since it contains both binary and ASCII data.

Anyway just wanted to make a call to all hackers & enthusiasts out there who are familiar with PDF rendering, please give it a go!!

I believe that thousands of users would be more than happy to make a donation when such a tool is available

Last edited by drk; 11-22-2010 at 04:05 PM.
drk is offline   Reply With Quote