Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
lorraineg57
Enthusiast
lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Iphone 4
I thought expired library books stayed unless...

I thought expired books stayed on the nook unless you hooked up to ADE (where they would then register as expired?). I could swear I read that somewhere!

Glad I stayed up 'til 1 a.m. finishing this book last night because when I turned the nook on this afternoon, the book was expired!
lorraineg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
robert23
robert23 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
That's the way it works. They are still on the Nook but you can't read them anymore.
robert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
lorraineg57
Enthusiast
lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert23 View Post
That's the way it works. They are still on the Nook but you can't read them anymore.
Oh, silly me. I thought I'd read that they didn't "register" as expired unless you re-synced with ADE...

Oh well!

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
windycitygal
windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor
Be glad you can get library ebooks. Here in Chicago the wait lists are so long I probably won't get one until the end of the year.
windycitygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
From what I have heard, AUDIO books you get from the library only become expired on an MP3 player when you connect the player to your computer. But, as described above, ebooks expire on a Nook even when it hasn't been connected. I take that to indicate that the Nook firmware has the ability to detect DRM characteristics and abide by them, whereas MP3 players are really stupid. Too bad the Nook is so smart!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all lorrianeg needs to do is to remove the DRM from the book(s) that were borrowed and the books can be read again.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I would think so. I doubt if a particular epub file fills itself with garbage just because it expired. Anyone actually try this?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Calibre can do that for you for $0, you will need Calibre and a few of the plug ins all costing $0.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
lorraineg57
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitygal View Post
Be glad you can get library ebooks. Here in Chicago the wait lists are so long I probably won't get one until the end of the year.
Yeah, the wait isn't TOO bad here. Between the two libraries I belong to, I can usually get a book within a month or two. Then all of them become available at once. I've had 5 books become available in two or three days. One of them was over 500 pages and I knew I wasn't going to be able to get through them all.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
lorraineg57
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Calibre can do that for you for $0, you will need Calibre and a few of the plug ins all costing $0.
I have Calibre, which plug-ins would I need?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
RAH
Guru

Do a Google search on "Alf's Blog" and click the Jan.13th entry "Ebook Formats..." Follow the instructions. It's easy.

Last edited by RAH; 04-04-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
I've had luck getting an extra day or two out of a library book by turning of WiFi.
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraineg57 View Post
I thought expired books stayed on the nook unless you hooked up to ADE (where they would then register as expired?). I could swear I read that somewhere!

Glad I stayed up 'til 1 a.m. finishing this book last night because when I turned the nook on this afternoon, the book was expired!
I believe that is how it used to work, but over the past few weeks they have changed it so that it will officially expire even if you don't connect to your computer.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
lorraineg57
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxgeek96 View Post
I've had luck getting an extra day or two out of a library book by turning of WiFi.

Really? What would wifi have to do with it?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
WiFi shouldn't have anything at all to do with it. It's NOT a syncing issue with ADE. It's NOT ADE that "expire" your book. Time for expiration is embedded in the file (that's part of what's in the DRM) and is checked on the reader's system clock. I'm guessing there may have been issues with the system clock in the past, explaining why some people may have been able to use books past expiration.

Edit: I never sync with ADE or Reader Library so I really don't know what that does and doesn't do. I do know that my library books expire on due date totally independently of my computer though!

Last edited by Asawi; 04-06-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote