Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #46
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
Really, because I can do it just fine using the cord it came with, dropbox, or with the calibre server. Not to mention a sd card that expands my HD+'s memory. I cannot figure out your problem. Please explain.
I do have problems with Linux (though it's really a Linux problem), but I have no trouble using Calibre Companion. Fills up the SD card just fine.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #47
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I keep saying and no one thinks it's possible but Nook is going to swallow up Kobo.. Nook and B&N have their Nook in the Marketplace.. Plus MS in their pocket.. I will be passing out crying towels in the months ahead.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #48
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I keep saying and no one thinks it's possible but Nook is going to swallow up Kobo.. Nook and B&N have their Nook in the Marketplace.. Plus MS in their pocket.. I will be passing out crying towels in the months ahead.
Troll. Troll !!

But seriously, I sincerely hope you are wrong.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I don't really get why anyone would think Nook would "swallow up Kobo." Kobo is owned by Rakuten, and the main reason they bought it was to release it in Japan and compete internationally. B&N doesn't have much cash on hand, so I don't see how it would buy anything. The reverse might be possible, but I don't know if Rakuten would go for that when it seems they are doing better in the US thanks to the indie bookstore partnership.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #50
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Olympus deserves death.
Seriously rotten inside and run like a criminal organization.
Only someone who has no interest in photography would say that. Their cameras are beautiful.
Even though I am a longtime Minolta/Sony user I have found myself lusting after the Olympus D.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Only someone who has no interest in photography would say that. Their cameras are beautiful.
Even though I am a longtime Minolta/Sony user I have found myself lusting after the Olympus D.
Just because Olympus the brand dies doesn't mean their tech vanishes.
Remember, the deathwatch is on brands and companies, not products.
Just as Nook could vanish with the ebookstore surviving, so could Olympus' camera and medical imaging products survive under new stewardship.

The point of the list is to highlight seriously mismanaged or fading products and companies. And Olympus is one seriouly mismanaged facade of a company, practically a hollow shell. To the outside all is bright and shiny, useful products, but the inside story is one of declining sales and losses, mismanaged assets, and possibly criminal manueuvers. One very sick operation.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #52
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Right now I would cheerfully hold their corporate head underwater until the bubbles stop...

No warning sent to me...They shut down the Nook to PC portal. So I can't download to my PC and then sideload to my preferred reader.

And they deleted my PC library when I tried to sync...

I don't have a smart phone (by choice), I don't use a B&N Nook, and I don't use Windows 8.

So now they don't have a customer!!!!!

Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #53
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post

No warning sent to me...They shut down the Nook to PC portal. So I can't download to my PC and then sideload to my preferred reader.
Can't you still download directly from your account on the B&N website? This is what I have always done, download and drop into calibre.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #54
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Right now I would cheerfully hold their corporate head underwater until the bubbles stop...

I don't have a smart phone (by choice), I don't use a B&N Nook, and I don't use Windows 8.

It's appalling that they deleted the books you had existing when you tried to sync, but have they also removed the "download" buttons from your book list? The last time I looked, I noticed they moved it to the very last option (they're really pushing the "cloud reading" option, which has concerned me), but it was there.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #55
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

I just went to my Nook Library online and was able to download all but about three or four of fiction/non-fiction books I hadn't downloaded previously (45 of them), using the download option. This was using Windows Vista and the most recent ebook was purchased on June 9th, so I don't understand what the problem is.

Did you try to sync your BN Desktop Reader with your library, and that's when the deletion occurred? I haven't sync'd that program recently, but a new update available window popped up when I opened it up a couple of minutes ago.

I have version 2.1.1.1 on it.

-------------

Of course, none of my Fictionwise purchases have yet been transferred to my BN library.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #56
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Al Capone sold some fine used furniture also.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #57
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, for what it's worth, I opened up my Nook for PC application (2.5.6.9575) and (after backing up my folder) tried to sync it.

It synced, updated my booklist, and downloaded 6 books that I hadn't yet downloaded.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #58
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Wasn't this thing on the deathlist last year, too? So was another couple of brands where that have locations where I live. Still here.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #59
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I'm not an expert in these sort of things but wouldn't it help if they opened the Nook to international level? Any idea why they haven't?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #60
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Opening a store and selling products in other countries is expensive. Not to mention the fact that Kindle, Kobo, and Sony are already in a lot of the richer countries (with varying degrees of success).

Given that much of the market share Nook has in the US is because of the B&N stores and the B&N brand, I'm not sure how it would fare in countries where there are no B&N stores and where B&N isn't a famous brand.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote