Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #166
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Anyway eventually my oldest sister saw I was taking an interest and and gave me a book to read. It was called "Black beauty", it was about a horse (I think it was part of a series). Actually I hated that book and she quickly gave me "The Hobbit" to read, which I absolutely loved.
I love both. Perhaps you should give Black Beauty (by Anna Sewell) another go! It's really rather good, but not particularly intended for children.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #167
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I vividly remember when I became a proper reader, it happened when I was 15 years old. Up until then I didn't do much reading, some for my school work and the odd comic.

As I said, I was 15 years old. My dad just died and I had just about managed to complete my GCSE's in school, wasn't easy as my heart wasn't really in it at the time for obvious reasons. To take our minds off my dad, one of my aunts took my mum, sister and myself away on holiday (only Tenby in south-west Wales, but it was nice and quiet, surrounded by lovely countryside).

I was bored, so I wandered into town and ended up at a book shop, there wasn't much else for me to do, so I decided to by a book. I ended up buying "Domes of Fire" by David Eddings.

Since then I was hooked.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #168
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My mother was a reader and she always read us bedtime stories which I loved. I still remember my first time I read a word. It was "cat" from the Cat in the Hat. It was a revelation and I never looked back. Even early in grade school I was a voracious reader. We had a set of encyclopedias and I would take a volume and read the entire thing. The bookmobile which parked a block away let you check out as many as you could carry. I'd get a stack from my fingertips to my chin and have them all finished 3 weeks later when it came back.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #169
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
When I was 3 I always asked people to read comics for me, and although I had absolutely no idea what the words meant, I memorized them so well that I could recite exactly every speech balloon, including "Boom!" or "Vroom"

And then dad subscribed a children weekly magazine for me.

And also, I had an older sister who read all the time (so bad she doesn't any more). I remember going through all of her textbooks (literature only).

And then, The Count of Monte Cristo... I guess that's what defined my taste in books. I always prefer romantic stories.

P.S.: I hated my schools' libraries. Every single one of them. The librarians were cranky. I spent my days sitting in bookstores instead.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #170
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
Hi MaiAnh, you're 2 years younger than me but for sure you read far more books than me. I really admire people like you!
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #171
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
When I was 3 I always asked people to read comics for me, and although I had absolutely no idea what the words meant, I memorized them so well that I could recite exactly every speech balloon, including "Boom!" or "Vroom"

And then dad subscribed a children weekly magazine for me.

And also, I had an older sister who read all the time (so bad she doesn't any more). I remember going through all of her textbooks (literature only).

And then, The Count of Monte Cristo... I guess that's what defined my taste in books. I always prefer romantic stories.

P.S.: I hated my schools' libraries. Every single one of them. The librarians were cranky. I spent my days sitting in bookstores instead.
I loved the library as a kid. During the summer they'd have a reading program where you would set a goal of how many books you were going to read over the summer holidays and at the end you got a certificate of achievement if you reached your goal. I don't know what you got if you fell short. I imagine there must have been some sort of recognition for having participated, but I never did find out if that was the case because I always went zipping right past my goal. They also had field trips to the zoo or museums or some other such activities. One time they had a trip to a theater to see a play of Treasure Island with an all female cast.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #172
sophie1rachel
sophie1rachel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I was born one :)

I was born one . I always have had a knack for reading and now Kindle made me a rigorous reader and a writer as well
sophie1rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #173
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ How did the kindle make you a writer? Because you read self-published books and realized you may be able to do it as well?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #174
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well, I grew up in an abusive household and books were a great escape for me. I was also a skinny, beanpole of a kid (hard to believe today, from anyone who knows me) and was a complete nerd.

I grew up during the heyday of D&D; but by then I was already reading stuff that made traditional Sword & Sorcery look rather simple by comparison. So I found myself engrossed everyday in everything from Edgar Rice Burroughs, Zane Grey and Pat Conroy to Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Louis L'Amour.

As I evolved into my teens, I would take the bus to Santa Monica to see the authors I was reading speak at the late, lamented A CHANGE OF HOBBIT bookstore. That was the genesis of me becoming a writer...or a typist, depending upon whom you ask
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #175
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I've always read. I can remember being taken to the library when I was five or six and borrowing the Thomas the Tank Engine series. I haven't stopped since.

These days I read to pass the time during the daily commute and at home to relax.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #176
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
My mother always told me that she would drop anything she was doing f I brought her a book to read to me. My sisters would, too. They weren't sure when I learned to read because I had all the books memorized, but then they realized I was reading the Sunday comics by myself.
Mom was always reading, so I had a great role model.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #177
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
My mother always told me that she would drop anything she was doing f I brought her a book to read to me.
What a great mother!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #178
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
What a great mother!!
I agree. I still remember my own mother teaching me some basic knowledge. For learning one of the days of the week she asked me "how does your dad like his eggs?" The answer was Fried = Friday. A good mother does teach her children at least some of the basics I think. My own got me a library card when I was 3. It was still a few yrs before I learned to read, but she laid the foundation.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #179
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I loved the library as a kid. During the summer they'd have a reading program where you would set a goal of how many books you were going to read over the summer holidays and at the end you got a certificate of achievement if you reached your goal. I don't know what you got if you fell short. I imagine there must have been some sort of recognition for having participated, but I never did find out if that was the case because I always went zipping right past my goal. They also had field trips to the zoo or museums or some other such activities. One time they had a trip to a theater to see a play of Treasure Island with an all female cast.
I really wish my local library had done this when I was a kid..I would have surpassed the goal too.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #180
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
My mother always told me that she would drop anything she was doing f I brought her a book to read to me. My sisters would, too. They weren't sure when I learned to read because I had all the books memorized, but then they realized I was reading the Sunday comics by myself.
Mom was always reading, so I had a great role model.
That's fantastic! My parents always made reading fun and read to me all the time. I also picked up reading on my own- they gave me the newspaper to find out if I could read though. I think I learned because it wasn't presented as a chore, reading was presented as a fun activity.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote