Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
schnidrig
schnidrig began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-650
create Periodical from HTML with ebook-convert.

Hi

I'd like to convert a regular web-site (not RSS enabled) into a Sony PRS-650 compatible periodical (just like recipes do) with ebook-convert <from>.html <to>.epub

this creates a working epub with a TOC. However, the Sony reader will not accept it as a periodical.

Is there a way to achieve this? Am I missing some cli option?

Thanks
christian
schnidrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Christian, I'm not sure if this is what you want, but I think Instapaper (www.instapaper.com) can do this, without any additional software.

The steps are as follows:

1. Save the web pages in Instapaper (the easiest way to do that is to install the Instapaper bookmarklet).

2. Go to Instapaper, log in, and copy the pages that you just saved to a folder (which you previously created; you only have to do that once).

3. Click the ePub icon. This will download the articles as a single ePub publication, complete with ToC.

4. Copy the downloaded file to your device.

I have never actually done this, so I can't be sure that the above will work. But I do a very similar procedure every week to get a bunch of magazine articles to my Kindle, and that works fine.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
schnidrig

Thanks for the suggestion.
However I seriously doubt, that instapaper can do that. Sony periodicals are not just epub files. They need some additional Sony proprietary metadata. Ebook-convert can generate that metadata if you use recipes, however, that feature is turned off for regular html to epub convertion.

Since instapaper does not even mention Sony, there is little (if not to say no) hope that this will work.

Thanks anyway.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, you have to use a recipe to acheive this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
schnidrig

Is there a technical reason for that, or can one expect this to be added some time in the future?
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no technical reason, I just don't care enough about it to implement it separately. Be aware that for a file to be recognized as a periodical the extra markup is not enough, you also have to modify the ondevice XML db to tell the SONY to treat the file specially.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
schnidrig

ok. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnidrig View Post
Since instapaper does not even mention Sony, there is little (if not to say no) hope that this will
I'll take your word for that. As I said, I have never tried it myself. It works well for the Kindle, but I suppose that's a simpler format.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
drewvonadasmith
drewvonadasmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Sony Periodicals

Hi,

It's really a drag that I can't convert my .PDF magazines and load them to the Sony as periodicals. You mention using "recipes". How do I do this?

Thanks!
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, you have to use a recipe to acheive this.
drewvonadasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Recipes are short code snippets that tell Calibre how to download news from certain web sites- in effect, they define news sources. There's a manual page describing the news feature.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
drewvonadasmith
drewvonadasmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
So this will not allow me to download my PDF magazines and convert them to Sony periodicals? If not. is there anyway to do this? This seems to be a very frequent request, but I cannot find a clear answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Recipes are short code snippets that tell Calibre how to download news from certain web sites- in effect, they define news sources. There's a manual page describing the news feature.
drewvonadasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvonadasmith View Post
So this will not allow me to download my PDF magazines and convert them to Sony periodicals? If not. is there anyway to do this? This seems to be a very frequent request, but I cannot find a clear answer.
The clear answer is "No, you can't do this." If you want to do it, you will have to write the code yourself. It won't be easy and it probably won't work for multiple sites.

Recipes can handle web pages and EPUB formats only. I have seen some attempts to handle pdfs where the structure of the pdf is well-known in advance, but they haven't been very successful.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote