Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Aura: font options for side-loaded content?

Hello there,

on the Kobo Aura: which of the various font settings can be applied to side-loaded content? Since I cannot test the device I'd love to get confirmation on this before ordering.

Also, it was reported that it is possible to download books via the built-in browser to the library (e.g. from a personal catalogue). Can this be confirmed?

Many thanks, miquele

P.S. I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere, but with the massive amount of posts in the relevant threads searching is quite ineffective.
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
on the Kobo Aura: which of the various font settings can be applied to side-loaded content? Since I cannot test the device I'd love to get confirmation on this before ordering.

Also, it was reported that it is possible to download books via the built-in browser to the library (e.g. from a personal catalogue). Can this be confirmed?
I have a Glo, but it should be the same in these matters.

All font options can be applied to sideloaded (epub) books, provided the book wasn't constructed in a way that prevents it. If you come across a book that prevents a font option taking effect (such as one that has fixed linespacing) then you will need to tweak the book's stylesheet before sideloading if you want it to be adjustable.

You can download books with the built-in browser, e.g. from a Calibre web server. Some of book's metadata (such as series information) will not be loaded if you do it this way though, connecting via the USB cable -- allowing Calibre to access the device's database directly -- will give you more options.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
FGont options are pretty much the same for sideloaded books. Some books they work in and some they don't.

It is said that Kobo will always respect the authors formatting, but if this is the case why allow any changes?

You can download from a public library or a calibre library.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It is said that Kobo will always respect the authors formatting, but if this is the case why allow any changes?
Why allow any changes? Probably because there are quite a few ebooks out there that are poorly formatted. I have one I downloaded from the local library where the chapter number/heading lines overlap and the body of the paragraph has descenders overlapping with ascenders. I can't edit the book without breaking the DRM which I really don't feel like doing for this book -- I originally read it a few years back and have been reminded why I never kept the dead tree copy of the book -- a rarity on my part. The line spacing slider has been moved from the left side to increase the line spacing which is also a rarity around here.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for your answers, sounds promising :-)
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kobo aura, side-loaded