Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
karlbx
karlbx began at the beginning.

Device: nook
gaps between pages PDF to epub conv.

I have unwanted breaks between pages (threads I searched only spoke of missing breaks). I'm converting a picture book (just images [text is part of picture]) from PDF to epub for Nook and ipad. I assume these unwanted gaps will appear in Nook if my epub file has them.
I read something about changing breaks in HTML to after (or before) pages (but the only place I see to edit HTML in Calibre is the metadata.
karlbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlbx View Post
I have unwanted breaks between pages (threads I searched only spoke of missing breaks). I'm converting a picture book (just images [text is part of picture]) from PDF to epub for Nook and ipad. I assume these unwanted gaps will appear in Nook if my epub file has them.
I read something about changing breaks in HTML to after (or before) pages (but the only place I see to edit HTML in Calibre is the metadata.
That 'Edit' applies to HTML in the comments section of the Metadata.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlbx View Post
I have unwanted breaks between pages (threads I searched only spoke of missing breaks). I'm converting a picture book (just images [text is part of picture]) from PDF to epub for Nook and ipad.
Two questions?

What version of calibre are you using?
What is your (Preferences - Common Options - Page setup) Output profile set to?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
karlbx

page gaps

I'm using the latest version: 0.7.52
everything is on the default setting (I'm converting from PDF images to epub).
(to clarify my ignorance: the only place I see to edit HTML is in the "comments" of edit meta data--no sign of page breaks in that HTML)
Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That will be a function of the epub reader you use inserting page breaks. In anycase there isn't any point converting a collection of images from pdf to epub. They should both render the same on the Nook.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
karlbx

Yes, but Apple and Nook want me to upload epub files (in a reply to my inquiry, Nook didn't mention pdf--only that they accept HTML, .txt, .doc, or epub--or where they being mindless and didn't get that I only have images?)
Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If you're converting to create production quality ebooks then you shouldn't really consider Calibre as your final tool regardless. If all you have is pdf then Calibre is a perfectly good tool to do the initial conversion from pdf to epub, but you should consider that a starting point, not the end point.

Unfortunately you're going to need to learn a little bit about the epub format, or find someone to do it for you. Creating commercial products that work on the iPad and on the Nook will take a bit of effort, and due to the fact that Apple doesn't conform to the epub spec in a number of ways means there may be some special handling required.

Do your conversion using Calibre, then edit the epub using Sigil. The epub sub-forum would be the best place to go for advice on creating a commercial grade epub and the people who regularly monitor those forums will have the best advice for you. There are a number of other threads where people have had to deal with Children's books, I recommend doing some searches and reading up on past experiences as a starting point.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaps, page breaks, pdf, spaces