Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PW2
Reading punjabi books on the kindle paperwhite

Hi All,

This is my first ever post at this wonderful form which has provided me with a great insight into my first ever e-reader: the kindle paperwhite.

everything is working fine though except a major thing: I can not read any punjabi ebook on my kindle. that is not a show stopper as i am an admirer of english as well, but i want to read punjabi books on my paperwhite as well.

i have tried converting PDFs (the only format in which most of the punjabi books are available) but the result is total annihilation of text and fonts. the text is romanised and i cant make anything of it.

to add to my woes, there are NO punjabi books available on the kindle. can anyone help me over here?

this might not be the correct forum to put these questions, but since i am new here, i hope i will be redirected to the current sub-forum.
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Amazon (IN):

http://www.amazon.in/Books-Punjabi/s...n%3A1318395031
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

thanks dr. drib but these are not kindle editions. these are either paperbacks or hardcovers. can anyone please help in this regards?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
thanks dr. drib but these are not kindle editions. these are either paperbacks or hardcovers. can anyone please help in this regards?

You're absolutely right. I failed to notice that.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
loco
Connoisseur

so anything that can be done? every language has phenomenal writers and poets. and its a terrible shame that one can not enjoy their works which are available online.

eg: gaban and godaan by premchand (The best hindi novelist of modern era) has his books priced at pennies at amazon. yet, all of his works come under public domain as they were written more than 80 years ago...strange..
Advert
Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
loco
Connoisseur

one thing can be done is to jailbreak my pw2. but i am on a newer firmware and can not jailbreak. any help on this either?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
i have tried converting PDFs (the only format in which most of the punjabi books are available) but the result is total annihilation of text and fonts.
If the pdfs are not image based (i.e. if you can select text in them) try copying some text to MS Word or an editor. If the text is correctly encoded, maybe your Calibre settings are off.
If the text is garbled, the pdf was most likely encoded using custom fonts and non-Unicode encoding standards. In this case you'll have to find out what Punjabi text encoding schemes where used before the introduction of Unicode and try to find a converter that will convert the text to Unicode.
Also note that you can't embed fonts for Indic languages and that Indic languages are only supported in azw3 files. I.e. if you convert text, html or epub files with Calibre, you'll need to select azw3 instead of mobi as the output format.

If your pdfs are image based, give K2pdfopt a try. It's a language-agnostic tool that'll reformat .pdf files for Kindles.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
loco
Connoisseur

i am selecting azw3 but all i get is garbled roman. i have to install custom fonts on my pw2 imho. anyguesses???
Old 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
loco
Connoisseur

it works...works like a charm......with a few errors every 5-6 pages....but i can live with it............thank you doitsu.....thanks a ton...........
Old 10-06-2020, 05:19 AM   #10
jagdeepmarahar
jagdeepmarahar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
it works...works like a charm......with a few errors every 5-6 pages....but i can live with it............thank you doitsu.....thanks a ton...........
Hi brother can you please explain how you successfully converted punjabi book for kindle. Thanks.
jagdeepmarahar is offline   Reply With Quote