Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Lancelot
Enthusiast
Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Nook DRM PDF files

Hi All,
I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this problem. It appears currently if you purchased a DRM Nook "PagePerfect" PDF, you can't download it to your desktop to read via Nook for PC app!

Can someone else confirm I'm not crazy yet? This is insane paying for a book and completely restricted to the device itself. A physical book I can lend to anyone, hide it under my bed or simply sit on it without this lockdown business! DRM in ebooks needs to go away! Publishers have not learn anything from music industry? Really?

If I did my research correctly, this is what Nook for PC is supposed to do....
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The devices came out before the desktop updates. In the mean time you can read the files in ADE 1.8 (which you can get from labs.adobe.com).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
dak4482
dak4482 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Can this ADE 1.8 be used on the NOOK Color itself to read LARGE adobe PDF's? I have tried using EZPdf and it takes MINUTES to load each page on a large book (40-50 megs) as you turn the page - totally useless. If it can be used, what is the installation procedure? I am using a rooted Nook color with software 1.01. (Yes, I'm aware of the updates but havent gotten around to them yet. So much hassle to unroot.lol)

Dan
dak4482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
ADE 1.8 was made for the desktop platforms (Mac/Windows).

And the 1.4 update (I'm not sure it's available yet) includes a lot of enhancements in B&N (ie not QuickOffice) PDF Reader.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Lancelot
Enthusiast
Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I tried both ADE 1.7.1 and the best 1.8...neither can recognized the downloaded book after detecting the device.

So far, Nook for PC/Mac desktop app doesn't allow download of this title to my desktop. This will likely be the only title I ever buy from B&N or anyone else with DRM until the issue has been resolved.

Bottom line is this, if you must add DRM then at least make it easy and intuitive for the buyer/customer to transfer the ebook to different reading devices...we paid for them after all!
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I tried both ADE 1.7.1 and the best 1.8...neither can recognized the downloaded book after detecting the device.

So far, Nook for PC/Mac desktop app doesn't allow download of this title to my desktop. This will likely be the only title I ever buy from B&N or anyone else with DRM until the issue has been resolved.

Bottom line is this, if you must add DRM then at least make it easy and intuitive for the buyer/customer to transfer the ebook to different reading devices...we paid for them after all!
Like Jim Lester already told you: When the current Nook for PC desktop app was released the PagePerfect format did not yet exist. This format only became available when the Nook Tablet was released.
You will have to wait for a new version of Nook for PC with support for PagePerfect books. And it could be there will be no such support for Nook for PC. Some of the special formats are only available for the Nook devices, because they depend on stuff that is only available in the Nook O.S..

The Nook apps are not a replacement for the Nook devices. The apps and the devices have different features.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Lancelot
Enthusiast

There isn't much to do until BN release new updates for desktop apps to verify this. My statement shows how displeased I am with the roll out of new device but lack backward compatibility.

Regardless, DRM need to go away or be easier to manage. You can quote me, publishers will learn the hard way like music industry did. This time, there won't be a Steve Jobs to save them.