Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
to update or not to update?

Hi,

Like many of you, I had software problems when the Kindle 3 arrived. Mainly it froze and rebooted or it rebooted spontaneously. It was also quote slow.
Then the kind folks from Amazon released the improved 3.0.1 version which has cured my Kindle of any hangups (no freeze or reboot since).
Since I'm so relieved that it's working ok, I'm feeling a beet leery of updating to the 3.0.2, being of the mind that if it "ain't broke, don't fix it."
How is the 3.0.2 version working? Are there any noticeable improvements? Should I update or should I just stick with the 0.1 version?

Thanks for the advice.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
3.02 only seems to fix the problems that some of us had with 3.01 - the slow page turns outside in the sunlight.

Personally, I didn't have any problem with 3.00, so it was a mistake for me to go to 3.01 (where I had the sun problem). Even though 3.02 fixed it, it still doesn't seem as good as 3.00 was.

So, if you are happy with 3.01, I wouldn't update.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have 3.02 and have had no problems. I didn't have problems with 3.0.1, either.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I have not had problems with my K3 with any of the firmware versions.

I updated to 3.02 from 3.01 earlier this week and all seems stable still. I haven't noticed any changes yet, but I have only been using it for reading.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is 3.0.2 being pushed out over the air yet? I've not had it yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I see as an "official release" now on the K3 update page, that's why i'm asking. I know there was a thread about the 3.0.1 but i found little about it in the fora.

thanks everyone!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
always update
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I recieve my k3 with 3.0.0 on it and updated to 3.0.1 before even adding a book. I never had any issues 3.0.1. When 3.0.2 preview was on the Amazon site I downloaded it and have had not issues and really never noticed any differences between it and 3.0.1
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always wait for updates to be pushed out over the air.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I had no problems with 3.01. I manually updated to 3.02 - still no problems.

I don't know if 3.02 is going to be pushed out over the air - the page on the website just had the directions on how to manually update, but didn't contain the usual paragraphs stating that it would be pushed out gradually for automatic updating via 3G or Wifi. So I would guess you have to manually update to get this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Seems not so far in UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When the Kindle UK website said that 3.02 was now official I switched on my wireless for a few days expecting it to update automatically, but it didn't. Therefore, I just did a manual download.

As I have said, I have not noticed any changes as a result of the upgrade.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Pretty sure the Kindle devices have a USB fallback which makes them virtually unbrickable, similar to apple's I-devices (i-pad/i-phone-i-pod)

Can't you just force recovery and format/copy new firmware and force reloading of it over usb?

I assume that firmware is just a binfile thrown on the the flash somewhere before the fat partition, you could probably extract/write it yourself if you knew the locations (not 100% sure of this), but that's how you can access firmware in most portable devices with nand/usb fat partitions.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Aiadi
Aiadi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Well the question is really not relevant when the update is pushed out over the whispernet, is it? We will be forced to update whether we like it or not.
Aiadi is offline   Reply With Quote