Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #346
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I got a replacement Paperwhite yesterday which has a much better screen than my current one so I have cancelled my pre order now. like you I am torn between an upgrade (when I have another two years warrenty of my one) and the new Kobo Aura as I love the idea of Pocket integration. I'm going to wait now until I can see both devices in person.
You should check out Instapaper. If you create an account(free) you can sync it with your kindle by placing tabs on your browser bar that you click on and it will instantly send an article to your kindle. Instapaper also creates magazine collections of articles and will wirelessly send it when you have enough articles. I think it acts pretty much the same as Pocket.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #347
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
You should check out Instapaper. If you create an account(free) you can sync it with your kindle by placing tabs on your browser bar that you click on and it will instantly send an article to your kindle. Instapaper also creates magazine collections of articles and will wirelessly send it when you have enough articles. I think it acts pretty much the same as Pocket.
I already have over 1000 links in Pocket, plus Pocket syncs automatically to Pinboard. I've been using it for years. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #348
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Okay I caved and pre-ordered a PW2. I've got at least 3 weeks to decide whether to keep it on order. I figured I should order now so I can get it before November, which would probably be the ship date if I waited until October to order. I was kind of surprised they gave me an Oct 1 arrival date since I waited until today to place the order. So I lucked out there.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts and see your pics!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #349
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Does anyone know why there are feature differences between the US and UK models of the new Paperwhite?

For example the US page mentioned inline-footnotes whereas there is no mention of this on the UK page. The same with Goodreads integration.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #350
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Good spot Robmonster......
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #351
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
Thank you stutzj, I've just tried this and it really works well, all I need to do now is open up each Pocket Link in Safari and save it to Instapaper.

I never knew this was possible so it's a game changer for me
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #352
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thank you stutzj, I've just tried this and it really works well, all I need to do now is open up each Pocket Link in Safari and save it to Instapaper.

I never knew this was possible so it's a game changer for me
No problem. I probably do half my reading with instapaper - I catch up with all my internet articles without the computer. The Instapaper subscription is totally worth the dollar per month - you can send issues with 50 articles instead of 20 with images as well.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #353
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a problem with instapaper in that it keeps including previously sent artices in it;s email. Does that happen for you?

For example, I add an article one day, and that arrives in my daily email. I add another article a few days later and /that/ days email has both articles.

This goes on untl I manually archive the article on the Instapaper site.

It never /used/ to do this I'm sure. Does it do this for anyone else?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #354
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi everyone,

I am also thinking about pre-ordering the PW2. Just a question:

I read somewhere that jumping between chapters was not supported anymore by PW1. I use this functionality quite often on my Kindle Keyboard 3.

Is the chapter jumping supported now? At least it seems to work in the new preview feature that I have seen in the IFA videos.

Thanks,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #355
Robmonster
Wizard!

On a PW1 you can jump to chapters via the Go To option. The new one seems to have a new way of doing this.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #356
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
I have a problem with instapaper in that it keeps including previously sent artices in it;s email. Does that happen for you?

For example, I add an article one day, and that arrives in my daily email. I add another article a few days later and /that/ days email has both articles.

This goes on untl I manually archive the article on the Instapaper site.

It never /used/ to do this I'm sure. Does it do this for anyone else?
I don't know yet for sure but my understanding of the settings is you can get 10 (and that number isn't changeable, unless you subscribe when it jumps to 50) but then you select how many new articles, mines set at 5, so I would expect I would keep getting the older articles up to 10.

Maybe the only way round that is to set the new article minimum to 10, then every email will only have new articles, but you'd probably get less emails.

The two I sent today went straight into Archive after the email was sent.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #357
Robmonster
Wizard!

Hmm, I just added an article, clicked the Send Compilation To Kindle Now button, and the article is still showing in the Unread section.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #358
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
On a PW1 you can jump to chapters via the Go To option. The new one seems to have a new way of doing this.
Using the "Go To" option sounds very inconvenient compared to just pressing a single button on the kindle keyboard. So hopefully they provided some fast access to the next chapter. It is very useful when reading newspapers as you can quickly browse the articles.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #359
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
Using the "Go To" option sounds very inconvenient compared to just pressing a single button on the kindle keyboard. So hopefully they provided some fast access to the next chapter. It is very useful when reading newspapers as you can quickly browse the articles.
this is what I got from the Benutzerhandbuch (für Dich auf Deutsch sogar ) and its equivalent from the User guide (the extensive one) from the UK page. From these explanations and the video from the IFA I saw, it looks much easier to me to navigate on the PW2.

You can find and download those guides on the product page, next to the pic of the device with its dimensions, under the subpoint "Documentation". I did a quick comparison between the Spanish, German, English and French one and so far can't find any differences. I need to download from .com though (I only downloaded from .es, .fr, .co.uk and .de) to checkproof if there is any mention of goodreads or other functions.

I am interested in the Flashcards function (yeah, you all know that already ), and it will be available on every device according to the user guides, so I am happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu kindle d.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	110833   Click image for larger version

Name:	menu d2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	110835   Click image for larger version

Name:	menukindle1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	110836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Menukindle2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	110837  

Last edited by aceflor; 09-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #360
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
this is what I got from the Benutzerhandbuch (für Dich auf Deutsch sogar ) and its equivalent from the User guide (the extensive one) from the UK page. From these explanations and the video from the IFA I saw, it looks much easier to me to navigate on the PW2.
It is a shame they took away the method used in the Kindle Touch to page to the next/previous chapter. If I want to go to the next chapter I just do a long vertical swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen. A long vertical swipe downwards from the top of the screen goes to the previous chapter. In this case, less is more and simpler is better.