Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #331
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think it would cut way down on any color/shadow blobs that might exist. I've tried in the past to use CSS to create a book with this night mode for my Kindle Touch, but Amazon's FW either overwrites or ignores a black background turning it white.
Make an image (take a snapshot of a page), reverse the black and white and insert it into a pdf. I'd be interested to see how it looks in a dark environment.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #332
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Make an image (take a snapshot of a page), reverse the black and white and insert it into a pdf. I'd be interested to see how it looks in a dark environment.
As stated above, I did that via an image file a few years ago with an older eInk reader, I think perhaps a Sony reader. It didn't look very good on the older pre-Pearl, non-lighted screen when viewed in a well lit room. I don't have a PW with front lighting so I cannot test it out on one of those in a dark room. If someone wants to test it out on a PW they could probably use a darker cover image from one of their books. Or as you suggested create a PDF and sideload it.
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #333
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
As stated above, I did that via an image file a few years ago with an older eInk reader, I think perhaps a Sony reader. It didn't look very good on the older pre-Pearl, non-lighted screen when viewed in a well lit room. I don't have a PW with front lighting so I cannot test it out on one of those in a dark room. If someone wants to test it out on a PW they could probably use a darker cover image from one of their books. Or as you suggested create a PDF and sideload it.
Easier to just take word doc and change the colors that way. I've actually had KDP books like this!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #334
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
CNET did a video preview. Not sure if anyone has posted this yet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-35827154.html
Just saw it. Thanks!
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #335
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, I presumed you had a PW. I remember your high expectations and disappointment before and after receiving your PW last year. I'm looking forward to see if Amazon change the lighting tech in the PW2.
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #336
Rizla
Member Retired

Funny how none of these video reviews show the lighted screen in dark conditions. That's what everybody wants to see.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #337
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Funny how none of these video reviews show the lighted screen in dark conditions. That's what everybody wants to see.
I think part of the problem with these early reviews is that they are mostly done my electronics and/or high tech websites rather than hardcore eInk aficionados like us. That is, the reviewers are jacks of all trades but masters of none. In other words, they probably are not as well versed on eInk readers as we are, nor as interested in them. Also I noticed that some of the videos were shot at some sort of electronics show and thus more restricted in what they could do. But I agree, I wish someone would make a good video of the PW2 being used in a dark room.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #338
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay I caved and pre-ordered a PW2. I've got at least 3 weeks to decide whether to keep it on order. I figured I should order now so I can get it before November, which would probably be the ship date if I waited until October to order. I was kind of surprised they gave me an Oct 1 arrival date since I waited until today to place the order. So I lucked out there.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #339
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I agree. The ultimate most objective test would be to test PW2 in a dark room. Open a blank page, turn the LED all the way up, bring it to a dark room and compare it side by side with PW1 with the same setting.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #340
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I agree. The ultimate most objective test would be to test PW2 in a dark room. Open a blank page, turn the LED all the way up, bring it to a dark room and compare it side by side with PW1 with the same setting.
That'd be the worst test ever. Nobody in their right mind uses a KPW on full blast in a pitch black room. Besides, you'd only be able to see which one is less bad, because they'll probably both look awful.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #341
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Okay I caved and pre-ordered a PW2.

I was kind of surprised they gave me an Oct 1 arrival date since I waited until today to place the order. So I lucked out there.
Why? They're not sold out. It still says shipping Sept 30.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #342
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Why? They're not sold out. It still says shipping Sept 30.
I was surprised they still had a shipping date of Sep 30. I thought if they were selling very fast that the ship dates would start moving out, and no doubt they will at some point. By the time I got my WiFi only PW1 last year they had no more of them in stock, so when I asked for a replacement they sent me a 3G model at no extra charge. Others here and at KindleBoards (now KBoards) reported the same thing.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #343
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Okay I caved and pre-ordered a PW2. I've got at least 3 weeks to decide whether to keep it on order. I figured I should order now so I can get it before November, which would probably be the ship date if I waited until October to order. I was kind of surprised they gave me an Oct 1 arrival date since I waited until today to place the order. So I lucked out there.
Amazon did not announce this one with as much hoopla as with the original PW. Also, I suspect that whose who received satisfactory PWs will see little reason to upgrade, as the improvements seem modest, and it is not clear whether any of the new functionality will be provided to the original PW via firmware updates. Will be interested to see how you like it when it arrives.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #344
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
I am still unsure if I want to buy a PW2 or go with the Kobo Aura. I live in Canada to the price difference won't mean much to me. The only thing I am worrying about the Aura is if the touch screen is not very good, my other worry about PW2 is the lighting will still be an issue.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #345
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
I am still unsure if I want to buy a PW2 or go with the Kobo Aura. I live in Canada to the price difference won't mean much to me. The only thing I am worrying about the Aura is if the touch screen is not very good, my other worry about PW2 is the lighting will still be an issue.
I got a replacement Paperwhite yesterday which has a much better screen than my current one so I have cancelled my pre order now. like you I am torn between an upgrade (when I have another two years warrenty of my one) and the new Kobo Aura as I love the idea of Pocket integration. I'm going to wait now until I can see both devices in person.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote