Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
LCD?

I just filled my car up at the pump, and noticed that the displays were LCD and perfectly readable.

Is anything using this technology for e-books?
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTrickey View Post
I just filled my car up at the pump, and noticed that the displays were LCD and perfectly readable.

Were they in direct sunlight?

I noticed those too, but usually they are covered by the pump's roof so there is no reason for them to be readable.

Even on a very sunny day I can read outside in my 770 if I am in shade...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

But, LCD takes more battery then eink. So your battery life would be a lot less.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, LCD takes more battery then eink. So your battery life would be a lot less.
It's not the LCD that's power hungry. It's the backlight.

People with PDAs have known for a while that one battery-power-saving method is to turn the backlight way down.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
It's not the LCD that's power hungry. It's the backlight.

People with PDAs have known for a while that one battery-power-saving method is to turn the backlight way down.
LCD still takes more power then eink. Forget the backlight. IT makes no matter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:

Ummm... wouldn't the gas station miss those LCD's? Not to mention, there are a ton of cameras around, so you might want to use your PDA to throw a glare into them before making your move.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Many LCD displays are quite readable in full sunlight. The color ones rely on backlighting because of the filters used to set the color for each pixel. Touch screens sometimes impair reflectivity, but not by that much. I still use my Palm IIIxe and it's perfectly readable without the backlight in normal room lighting or in sunlight. In fact, I very rarely use the backlight.

LCD displays do use more power than e-ink, but I'd be willing to bet a backlight uses even more. The issue I consider at least as important when comparing LCD to e ink is the pixel size. For reading books consisting primarily of text, LCD works fine. For books or other documents with extensive diagrams, significant changes in fonts and symbols (e.g. mathematics texts), or a need to support a wide variety of languages, the finer granularity of the e ink display becomes critical.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote