Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
New Pixel Qi device announced

This is only the second device I've read about that will have the Pixel Qi screen. The Innoversal Lattice. Engadget says that it will be available in September with a reported price of US $530.

Engadget report:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/i...medium=twitter

Company site with specs:
http://translate.google.com/translat...m.tw%26hl%3Den

Last edited by gastan; 06-04-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: clarify device
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
And we'll see if they actually bring it to market. Still waiting on Notion Ink as well.

I was really hoping Asus or some reputable company would have gotten on board with Pixel Qi, but apparently that's not the case.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Notion Ink is beginning to look like a no show with a rumored release now stating November which was previously June/July. So sad because the prototype they showed a couple of weeks back looked more or less ready, but I have to say the pictures of the Innoversal looks really nice. But then again I don't get my hopes up before I see a finished product out on the market.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'd really like to see PixelQi in a tablet made by Dell or another name that can deliver the goods in a timely manner.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Mach1.9pants
Mach1.9pants doesn't litterMach1.9pants doesn't litter

Device: DR1000S
AFAIK many of these devices are waiting on NVidia Tegra 2, which is still not in full production, and who knows when it will be.

Such a pain because I really want to upgrade from my DR1000S to a more multi-media device and there is nothing yet but the iPad.. no thanks to proprietary stuff with fixed storage memory.
Mach1.9pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Innoversal runs on Atom not tegra.
(Choice of Win 7, Android, Ubuntu, etc)
No reason why they can't ship by Sept *if* Pixel Qi is real.
Price looks good for an Atom-based design, too
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I was really hoping Asus or some reputable company would have gotten on board with Pixel Qi, but apparently that's not the case.
Ditto.
This is not a good sign for Pixel Qi. It could be that the production capacity for the screens isn't good enough for larger companies to take them on.
Let's hope that's the case, and not something sinister.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Mach1.9pants
Mach1.9pants doesn't litterMach1.9pants doesn't litter

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Innoversal runs on Atom not tegra.
(Choice of Win 7, Android, Ubuntu, etc)
No reason why they can't ship by Sept *if* Pixel Qi is real.
Price looks good for an Atom-based design, too
I was more talking about the Adam and other devices that are slowly slipping backwards. I don't think they are doomed (as thinkpadx does) but they are in a hard place.
Mach1.9pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1.9pants View Post
I was more talking about the Adam and other devices that are slowly slipping backwards. I don't think they are doomed (as thinkpadx does) but they are in a hard place.
My guess is that the hardware has proven to be the easy part. Getting seamless software working takes a bit more work. Last interview I saw (several months ago) it appeared that Adam/Notion Ink had a bare bones software capability and were hoping for third party developers to add capability.

Similarly the reports on the Joos (??) were that it might look good, but that the software didn't really work.

Anyway, I think getting a mature tablet O/S and a core set of applications will be the big hurdle. Maybe as Android becomes a more stable tablet (not phone) O/S or maybe with the introduction of Chrome things will get better. In either case, I'd expect it to be the end of the year or mid-year next year before real progress is made.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Anyway, I think getting a mature tablet O/S and a core set of applications will be the big hurdle.
Looks like it's going to be Christmas before we will see any mature tablets out. In the meanwhile Apple keeps shuffling out iPad's in ultra speed: 2 million devices in 2 months, it took years for Amazon/Kindle to get to these sale figures.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Anyway, I think getting a mature tablet O/S and a core set of applications will be the big hurdle. Maybe as Android becomes a more stable tablet (not phone) O/S or maybe with the introduction of Chrome things will get better. In either case, I'd expect it to be the end of the year or mid-year next year before real progress is made.
I just don't see any real benefits to chrome, storage becomes cheaper every year so the thing that consumers need is better synching between their various devices and not simply less stuff being stored on a device. The most useful thing Google could do for the tablet market is to open up the marketplace to larger screen devices as currently you have them all scrabbling around trying to build their own stores which just seems so pointless in the long run.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Looks like it's going to be Christmas before we will see any mature tablets out. In the meanwhile Apple keeps shuffling out iPad's in ultra speed: 2 million devices in 2 months, it took years for Amazon/Kindle to get to these sale figures.
It is a different kind of device than an ebook reader though, just look at how quickly the market for netbooks appeared from nowhere, more mainstream products growing faster than niche ones isn't really a huge shock.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
or maybe with the introduction of Chrome things will get better.
Anything is possible I suppose, but I personally wouldn't touch a Chrome OS tablet, though I do look forward to the Android browser maturing into Chrome mobile (they were developed separately, but are supposed to share more and more code going forward).

A good Android tablet is my first preference right now, followed closely by a Win7 (not "embedded") tablet. It's got to be LCDish with a good power saving, daylight reading tech, but it doesn't have to be PixelQi. I probably wouldn't even waste money on a 1st gen device of that config, though if it was made by a company like HP or Dell, I might be persuaded to, but it would be nice if the first gen would finally come to market so the second gen could get here during my lifetime.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
So, this would be my dream device: The 7" Dell Streak with a PixelQi display.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/16/d...ablets-leaked/

OR the Innoversal in a smaller form factor. Something about the size of my Kindle would be perfect. But it's got to have the capability for a non-backlit screen for reading.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
This vid posted July 2, 2010.

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote