Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
M92 calibration fix

Hello everybody. It seems like the calibration problem is very simple to fix: the input layer (tslib) has a linear scaler plugin, but it is disabled, so we just need to enable it back. Maybe it was disabled because this reduces the latency, but I can hardly notice any difference.

Follow these steps:
  1. extract the attached zip file in the internal storage (not the sd card)
  2. execute modify_tsconf.oar
  3. reboot the M92.

EDIT: After you applied the fix you can delete all the files (modify_tsconf.oar and all the ts.conf*). Also updating the firmware will restore the original configuration, so you'll have to run the script again.

This should work with any official firmware.
If something goes wrong try calibrating again and reboot. If this doesn't work you can restore the old configuration (which was backed up as ts.conf.hanvon) by renaming it to ts.conf.hanvon.new and executing modify_tsconf.oar again.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: zip fix_cal_m92.zip (708 Bytes, 930 views)

Last edited by FDD; 01-19-2012 at 08:21 AM.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Thanks a lot! It worked perfectly and solved the only real problem I had with my M92.

(what can one do with shell scripts on M92? is there any list of examples?)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Floghi
Floghi began at the beginning.

Device: M92 onyx boox
Really good job!
Perfect calibration now!
Floghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Flawless!!! OF course there is some lag but it is very precise now

Should I leave the file inside the internal memory after I've fixed the problem? Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by Federico F.; 01-19-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico F. View Post
Should I leave the file inside the internal memory after I've fixed the problem? Thanks a lot for your help!
No, it's a one-time fix, you can delete everything after you executed the script. Also it's not really necessary to keep the backup config, since the difference is a single line and reinstalling the firmware would restore the original config. I'll add this information to the first post!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
FDD
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
(what can one do with shell scripts on M92? is there any list of examples?)
No list of examples, but you have busybox with a good deal of mostly standard unix commands in the /bin directory:
Spoiler:
addgroup, adduser, ash, cat, catv, chgrp, chmod, chown, cp, date, dd, delgroup, deluser, df, dmesg, dumpkmap, echo, egrep, false, fgrep, getopt, grep, gunzip, gzip, hostname, ipaddr, iplink, iproute, iprule, iptunnel, kill, ln, login, ls, mkdir, mknod, mktemp, more, mount, mv, netstat, ping, ps, pwd, rm, rmdir, run-parts, sed, sh, sleep, stty, su, sync, tar, touch, true, umount, uname, usleep, vi, zcat

and in the /usr/bin directory:
Spoiler:
[, [[, acquire_address.sh, awk, basename, blink_led, bringup_interface.sh, bunzip2, bzcat, cal, chvt, cksum, clear, clear_waveform.sh, cmp, cut, dc, deallocvt, diff, dirname, dos2unix, download.sh, du, env, explorer_cleanup.sh, expr, extract_waveform.sh, find, flash_erase, flash_eraseall, format_flash.sh, format_sd.sh, free, gen_huge_file, hardware_test.sh, head, hexdump, hostid, id, install, killall, length, less, load_wifi_modules.sh, loadfont, logger, logname, lsusb, md5sum, mesg, mkdosfs, mkfifo, naboo_sd_handler.sh, naboo_sdio_handler.sh, naboo_usb_handler.sh, nandwrite, nc, nslookup, od, openvt, passwd, patch, post_suspend.sh, power_on_wifi.sh, pppd_cleanup.sh, pppd_notify.sh, pre_suspend.sh, printf, query_3g_signal.sh, read_3g_state.sh, read_wifi_state.sh, readlink, realpath, renice, rescan_wifi_sdio.sh, rescan_wifi_sdio_add.sh, rescan_wifi_sdio_remove.sh, reset, resize, rx, sha1sum, shutdown_device.sh, sort, start_vsftpd.sh, stop_vsftpd.sh, stop_watchdog.sh, sys_idle.sh, tail, tee, test, time, top, tr, tty, udevinfo, udevtest, uniq, unix2dos, unload_wifi_modules.sh, unzip, update_date.sh, update_timezone.sh, update_waveform.sh, uptime, usb_modeswitch, usb_module.sh, vlock, vsftpd, wc, wget, which, who, whoami, wireless_scan.sh, wpa_supplicant, xargs,
yes.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
and in the /usr/bin directory:
It is quite interesting to read through the custom scripts in /usr/bin. Has someone tried to put the USB into host mode? Is that possible?

Furthermore, can one connect to Wifi without GUI? (should be possbile, since it uses just ordinary linux wifi programs)
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
Has someone tried to put the USB into host mode? Is that possible?
I am also courious about USB Host possibility. Someone mentioned, the harware might allow it. We'll see.

It would open the possibility to connect external keyboard for example, or Bluetooth adapter.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Kal9871
Kal9871 began at the beginning.

Wow great job! It works so much better now! Thanks a lot
Kal9871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
I just ordered a M92 -my first e-reader- and have no idea what you guys are talking about. But not being a nerd, now I fear my new gadget might not work properly out of the box when I receive it... and I will have to go through some fixing like you describe.

All I want to utilize it for is reading PDFs, maybe some E-Books, some WordPad documents I have written and might still write, and scribble annotations in them.

(I use Jarte (free version) which is WordPad with a spelling checker, word count, etc, but it saves as WordPad, not Jarte.)

Probably the first thing I'll read on it will be the Onyx M92 manual I downloaded here:
http://www.onyx-boox.com/manuals/ony...m92-manual.pdf

Last edited by Lode; 01-21-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
FDD
Connoisseur

Hello Lode, I'm sorry we scared you, but being a nerd (as you noticed) I just tend to be overly technical. The M92 is in my humble opinion a good ereader, but as a few users pointed out in this forum, it has a few minor issues, one of them being a not-so-good calibration of the stylus: near the edge of the screen the line you draw can be as far as a couple mm from the tip of the pen, which I found annoying since I scribble and underline a lot. It turns out that this can be fixed very easily, so just don't worry about this anymore and if you need help about this feel free to ask.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I would join FDD in my opinion.

I use M92 out of the box, no fixes. I use it for reading pdf and scribbling in it. It works to my expectation. The calibration of stylus is not perfect, but for underlaining the text and writing notes to text it is, to my opinion, fully satisfactory.

I see a big potential in this piece hardware. Some inperfections will solve the producer and the rest the users....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Thank you both for clearing that up for me.

Now I'm looking even more forward to receiving this e-reader.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote