Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Netflix, Pandora and more available on Fire

Amazon has officially announced some of the apps that will be available next week for the fire.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....440&highlight=
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That's great news. It makes the Fire a lot more attractive to me. I'm assuming no official Hulu Plus app though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
This is great news, and shows that Amazon is willing to give consumers some choices for content (Netflix, Pandora, etc.), even if those services compete with their services.

Hopefully they will allow alternate readers like Aldiko and Mantano as well...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
That's great news. It makes the Fire a lot more attractive to me. I'm assuming no official Hulu Plus app though.
Not yet?
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Not yet?
Hopefully, it's just not yet. I don't use Hulu a lot, but it'd still be nice to have the app available.

Last edited by carld; 11-09-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm surprised to see Netflix there. Well, it looks like B&N got to them. Maybe there's hope for Blockbuster, Hulu Plus, Zinio, and maybe a few Google apps?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Hopefully they will allow alternate readers like Aldiko and Mantano as well...
Aldiko, Kobo and Mantano are all available from the Amazon Appstore. That means you should easily be able to install them on the Fire.

I sent Amazon an email back in September regarding the lack of good comic readers in the Amazon Appstore (Perfect Viewier, in particular) and how they should reach out to developers to submit their apps to Amazon. Less than a month later, Perfect Viewer (albeit costs $3) was available.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm surprised to see Netflix there. Well, it looks like B&N got to them. Maybe there's hope for Blockbuster, Hulu Plus, Zinio, and maybe a few Google apps?
Zinio & Hulu+ I wouldn't mind. I subscribe to several mags on zinio. Hulu + I could go either way. I have it on my iPad.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
From Amazon's press release, here is a concise listing of the apps mentioned there:

Netflix
Rhapsody
Pandora
Twitter
Comics by comiXology
Facebook
The Weather Channel
Quickoffice Pro
games from Zynga, EA, Gameloft, PopCap and Rovio
Allrecipes
Bloomberg
Cut the Rope
Doodle Fit
Doodle Jump
Fruit Ninja
Jenga
LinkedIn
Zillow
Airport Mania
Battleheart
Pulse
The Cat in the Hat
Jamie's 20-Minute Meals
IMDb Movies & TV
Monkey Preschool Lunchbox

More apps will be released for Kindle Fire soon. The Amazon Appstore also has a free "paid" app every day, and once you've downloaded an app it's available on Kindle Fire as well as your other Android-based devices. Also, here is a listing of free Android apps in the Amazon Appstore.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
I went into the Apps store and when you click on
Mantano ereader: check mark with "Kindle Fire" noted as my device;
Aldiko ereader: X marked with "Kindle Fire" marked.

I really really hope they've just overlooked it, as I love using Aldiko ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Aldiko, Kobo and Mantano are all available from the Amazon Appstore. That means you should easily be able to install them on the Fire.

I sent Amazon an email back in September regarding the lack of good comic readers in the Amazon Appstore (Perfect Viewier, in particular) and how they should reach out to developers to submit their apps to Amazon. Less than a month later, Perfect Viewer (albeit costs $3) was available.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
The Amazon Appstore also has a free "paid" app every day, and once you've downloaded an app it's available on Kindle Fire as well as your other Android-based devices.
Including my Nook Color. Thank you, Amazon
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
I went into the Apps store and when you click on
Mantano ereader: check mark with "Kindle Fire" noted as my device;
Aldiko ereader: X marked with "Kindle Fire" marked.
I don't see a check mark or X. Do you have to have an Android device registered in order to see that on an app's product page, or am I misunderstanding? How can you tell if an app in the Amazon Appstore will work on a particular device? For example, here's the link to Mantano Reader. When I visit that page from my computer, I don't see specific devices mentioned.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
I do, probably because I have already an android tablet. But it does specify "Kindle Fire" when I run a search on "epub". And so far, Aldiko is the only app I found with an "x" instead of checkmark

It's right under the "Buy now with 1-click"

Quote:
I don't see a check mark or X. Do you have to have an Android device registered in order to see that on an app's product page, or am I misunderstanding? How can you tell if an app in the Amazon Appstore will work on a particular device? For example, here's the link to Mantano Reader. When I visit that page from my computer, I don't see specific devices mentioned.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You need a registered Android device.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
I do, probably because I have already an android tablet. But it does specify "Kindle Fire" when I run a search on "epub". And so far, Aldiko is the only app I found with an "x" instead of checkmark
You might have to root to get it. My rooted Nook Color is compatible with it.