Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #31
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Isn't it mainly because of pricing ? Since LCD can be easily mass produced (since the end market is huge) prices can be cut down, while e-ink screens serve one purpose (e-readers).
Since you see LCD most of the times on the larger readers (9-10 inch) I would think it is to make the device cheaper... Or am I being naive here
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
There are more and more announcements for (color) LCD displays (last one from samsung today), but I really don't understand it . Sure, I'd like to have a 12" high-res color E-Ink display for reading magazines and comics - but LCD? I can't read on LCD . I don't want to read on LCD. I don't know anybody personal who is able to read a book for example on an iPad. But if everybody stops developing the expensive color e-ink and takes cheap LCD panels will we ever see a big lightweight portable device for reading - real reading not surfing or watching videos or something like that. we do have devices for such kind of entertainment so what is the sense in making the same thing but from a different approach? or are there not enough people who would buy color e-ink readers with large displays (i don't think a 6" color screen makes much sense - what would you read on it?). can anybody help me understand? are you able to read a book up to 8 hours on lcd without problems? would you buy a 10" or 12" "color kindle"?
You seem to be conflating what you personally don't like with what is "good".

I've been reading eBooks for 20-odd years on all sorts of different devices, and have both eInk and LCD devices. Personally I don't mind reading on LCD devices in the slightest - the iPad is currently my favoured reader.

LCD devices have a number of benefits - instant page turns, the ability to comfortably be read in the dark, and so on. Many people do prefer them to EPD displays.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
DixieGal - in my case, eye strain is not something that I just read about. I'm sure that eye strain can come from staring at an e-ink screen for too long, but in my actual experience I've never experienced strain while reading my Kindle, but I quickly experience strain when on a computer - laptop, desktop - it doesn't matter.
There can be two significant contributory factors to eye-strain:

1. Having the screen brightness set too high. You should ideally have the screen set to the minimum brightness at which it can easily be read.

2. Having the screen in a fixed position. This is the problem with reading on a desktop or laptop. With an LCD reader such as the iPad you can move it to whatever position is most comformable, just as you do with an EPD device, so this becomes a non-issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #34
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You seem to be conflating what you personally don't like with what is "good".
Amen to that!

You are a wise man, Harry of T.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #35
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Reading on LCD's etc, and the Ipad - what colour background is on the iPad when in reading 'mode'?

I've only recently found how much more pleasant a Word document is to work on, with the 'background' set to a light greyish-beige. A bright white background is terrible.... easy to see for yourself in your web browser:-

on one tab open up www.google.com in all it's uncluttered bright whiteyness ;-)
and next to it, open up a tab of this site:- http://pixobebo.com/

Tab between them and see how big the difference in comfort is - and how easy it is to read the text on that pixobebo site, even though it's at the fairly dark end of formats...

This was all started for me from work, where we have a 'session log' which has default settings of green text on a black background - that old stylee computer terminal feel - ah, the old days....

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #36
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Reading on LCD's etc, and the Ipad - what colour background is on the iPad when in reading 'mode'?
Depend which reading app you are using.
Stanza is the most flexible, with a large number of options for background patterns or plain colours. Kindle offers white-on-black, black-on-white or black-on-sepia. iBooks offers black-on-white and black-on-sepia.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #37
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Depend which reading app you are using.
Stanza is the most flexible, with a large number of options for background patterns or plain colours. Kindle offers white-on-black, black-on-white or black-on-sepia. iBooks offers black-on-white and black-on-sepia.
You can "fake" a variety of white-on-black on the iPad in iBooks by taking advantage of the triple-Home-button-press option as available in the Settings, which reverses the colours of your screen universally (it looks weird when looking at your Home screen, but quite effective and as desired when mid-iBooks ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Don't know about the Ipad, but on my LCD's, I used an ivory background colour with black lettering when reading in lit areas (don't use my LCD's for that anymore, since I got the Mini), and a black background colour with gray lettering for night time reading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #39
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Another recurring debate ....

It's an Individual Preference ....

Okay, moving on ...... >>>>>
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #40
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:

I've only recently found how much more pleasant a Word document is to work on, with the 'background' set to a light greyish-beige. A bright white background is terrible.... easy to see for yourself in your web browser:-

on one tab open up www.google.com in all it's uncluttered bright whiteyness ;-)
and next to it, open up a tab of this site:- http://pixobebo.com/

Tab between them and see how big the difference in comfort is - and how easy it is to read the text on that pixobebo site, even though it's at the fairly dark end of formats...

This was all started for me from work, where we have a 'session log' which has default settings of green text on a black background - that old stylee computer terminal feel - ah, the old days....

Coops
It depends on the individual. I find I do better with the higher contrast. A white background works best for me as long as the screen isn't too bright. My netbook's and desktop computer's LCD screens don't cause me any eyestrain since I keep the brightness no higher than I need to see clearly. In fact, I have to crank up the brightness on my netbook a bit to avoid eyestrain.

I've spent long periods of time using my JBL's reflective LCD and my currently dead Mentor's e-ink screen. I much prefer the Mentor's screen because it has more contrast and slightly better resolution than the JBL. Adjustable backlighting on both would reduce eyestrain when lighting is not as good as it should be. On the JBL, I grab a flashlight (I keep a small one in my purse) a lot sooner than I did on the higher contrast Mentor.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #41
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
again? sigh....with so many new topics to discuss every day why are these same banal topics rehashed ad-nauseum? This topic especially...posters should search before a topic like this...there are likely 100's of threads about the exact topic. In fact many of us here clearly remember the arguments about green or amber screens once upon a time. Or the whole move to 72Mhz CRT monitors from 60Mhz monitors where the issue was NOT the refresh rate itself but the fact the crappy cheap overhead fluorescent lights that were flickering causing the "eye strain"...now that was real...

Learn to adjust the colors of your screen and adjust your backlight to a level as Harry suggested, where you can read in comfort.

For those who have done all this and have probs still...I hear ya because I can't stand the current EPD panels in anything but the best lighting. Of course I am not one who read somewhere that the screen "flash" during a page change is a major cause of reader-rage...so that does not bug me in the slightest...

Who cares?

Now ask a cogent question like "where are all the color EPD panels so those of us who have problems or haven't learned to adjust our LCD panels, can have color too...??" my money is on and active panel tech winning the day in the long run unless there is a glow-in-the-dark "white" EPD material that can be used so it can be better read in no or low light. And no "whiter" is not the solution because if too white the white light reflected into your eyes will easily match or exceed that of any LCD panel backlight...

FYI if you do have probs with your LCD panel it could also be due to the temperature of the light coming from your panel...consider trying this app:

F.lux -- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...EyuItRXnuowgWg

But find the app not the spyware...what it is supposed to be is to help people who have a problem with light from their LCD being to white and daylight in temperature so a solution to help with their circadian rhythm is to set this leetle beastie app loose on your system to automatically alter the color temp based on the time of day...I find I really like how it works.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I don't do a lot of LCD reading (and don't have an iPad), just very occasionally on a PC/Mac or on my phone, but I've found that a light beige background with brown text (like the Sepia setting in K4PC) is much easier on me than stark black and white.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How many people here are NOT using an LCD display with the computer? How many who ARE using an LCD display on the computer are having eyestrain issues reading MR?

If you can sit here and read on your LCD display on the computer, then there should be no reason why you cannot do with with a portable LCD display to read a book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #44
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
I can't read on LCD . I don't want to read on LCD.
Did it ever occur to you that you might be in the minority? I have no problem reading on LCD. None of the people I know have a problem reading on LCD-although some of them do prefer eInk, mostly for battery life. Those of us who read on LCD handle the battery life issue by simply buying a spare battery.

And, FWIW, I don't know of any adults who read comics so color isn't an issue in my 'group'. (But the desires of my friends shouldn't control the market any more than your desires should. There's room for all.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #45
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How many people here are NOT using an LCD display with the computer? How many who ARE using an LCD display on the computer are having eyestrain issues reading MR?

If you can sit here and read on your LCD display on the computer, then there should be no reason why you cannot do with with a portable LCD display to read a book.
Me! I have a CRT at home
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote