Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
cookie1030
cookie1030 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook vs Sony PRS-505

Has anyone upgraded from PRS-505 to a Nook?

I have a 505 that I really like, no complaints or issues for the several months I've had it. Today I received a Nook for a gift but I haven't opened the box and given it a try. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both these readers and which one do prefer and why? I've heard that the 505 has one of the better screens for reading and I would like to know how they compare.

From what I've read about the Nook and its features I am leaning towards selling the 505 and keeping the Nook.
cookie1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
It's more a matter of personal taste and style than anything else, honestly. I had a Sony PRS-500 and now have a nook.

Since 99% of the time you use either will be spent reading, the rest of the bells and whistles don't matter all that much. I believe both devices are in the same generation of eInk displays, so the comparison there is moot.

I can see three advantages to the nook:

1. Network purchasing of books. This is something I wouldn't normally use, but a nice feature to have. The drawback is significantly less battery life.

2. Built-in dictionary. It's a woefully inadequate, hyper-abridged dictionary, but I hope others will be available for purchase.

3. The chance for updates is greater. Sony averaged a yearly firmware update that provided minor bugfixes, the last one being the swtich to ePub. Since the nook is Android-based, the potential for future updates and feature increases is a lot greater. Also, the potential for 3rd party feature updates is a sure thing, as seen on nookdevs.com.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

I'd head to a local B&N and try the demo out, that's what I did after playing with the Kindle and Sony. Having it in your hands and using the UI really helped me decide.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
jimmyrules712
jimmyrules712 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
I'd head to a local B&N and try the demo out, that's what I did after playing with the Kindle and Sony. Having it in your hands and using the UI really helped me decide.
Agreed, drive to the closest B & N store and just play with a display model. I haven't used the Sony but I have had the Nook for a week now and I don't have any complaints about it.
jimmyrules712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Blokie
Blokie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook
I own both, and would say that the "reading experience" between the two devices is almost identical (i.e. the eInk screen).

I'm keeping the Nook and getting rid of the Sony purely based on the future possibilities of Android, however if you simply want to read a book, then there is nothing to choose between them in my opinion.
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
ydnew423
Lurker Extraordinaire
ydnew423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, nook
I have the 505 and just bought the nook about a week ago. I have noticed that the nook screen seems to be a bit brighter and the device is slightly heavier. The battery does not seem to last as long, but since I've only had it a week, I can't really say definitively.

In terms of software, the nook does need some tweaks and improvements (mainly better organization of sideloaded documents). As beartard mentioned, though, B&N seems to be on the ball, releasing updates rather quickly thus far. The main reason I bought the nook was to be able to load all my eReader files that I've purchased from Fictionwise without needing to convert, so I would really appreciate better organization for non-bn books.

I'm shifting to the nook as my main device, mainly because my 505 has two rows of dead pixels that are driving me nuts. I was completely satisfied with the 505 otherwise.

Hopefully that helps!
ydnew423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1030 View Post
Has anyone upgraded from PRS-505 to a Nook?
It's not an upgrade. It's a sidegrade.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
cookie1030
cookie1030 began at the beginning.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went to B&N this morning and decided to keep the Nook and sell the 505. I agree that it's not an upgrade it's a sidegrade with a couple extra features that I like...wireless and that it's android.
cookie1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
BigHeadDog
BigHeadDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
It's more a matter of personal taste and style than anything else, honestly. I had a Sony PRS-500 and now have a nook.

Since 99% of the time you use either will be spent reading, the rest of the bells and whistles don't matter all that much. I believe both devices are in the same generation of eInk displays, so the comparison there is moot.

I can see three advantages to the nook:

1. Network purchasing of books. This is something I wouldn't normally use, but a nice feature to have. The drawback is significantly less battery life.

2. Built-in dictionary. It's a woefully inadequate, hyper-abridged dictionary, but I hope others will be available for purchase.

3. The chance for updates is greater. Sony averaged a yearly firmware update that provided minor bugfixes, the last one being the swtich to ePub. Since the nook is Android-based, the potential for future updates and feature increases is a lot greater. Also, the potential for 3rd party feature updates is a sure thing, as seen on nookdevs.com.
agreed with u...i also had a 505 first before getting the nook. but i still like both readers...
BigHeadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

It seems there are many 505 owners trying out the Nook. Personally, I hope the increase in eReaders better the product overall for the consumer. Obviously I prefer the Nook and I hope they keep updating it with better software and features.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
cob666
cob666 began at the beginning.

We have two Sony 505 readers and are quite happy with them.

I recently purchased a Sony 900 to try out the wireless connectivity for when we are traveling. Having that slightly larger screen was AWESOME but the wireless ONLY works in the US right now and the glare from the screen was starting to bother me. So, I went to B&N and picked up a Nook. 3G AND WLAN to get books while we're on vacation (usually Canada) and I'm able to side load almost all of our current Sony books.

As others have pointed out, the actual reading experience is 99% identical with the 505 slightly more comfortable to hold while you're laying down in bed. The 505 also seems to have better battery life.

The one BIG issue I have with the Nook is that B&N really dropped the ball with Nook accessories. The reader doesn't ship with any kind of cover or protection and there are no stores within a reasonable driving range that have any accessories. I live outside of Hartford, CT so I'm not exactly in the boonies. I'm glad that I waited a couple of months before trying to get a Nook because at least there are quite a few 3rd party vendors selling nice Nook accessories.

Overall I'm quite happy with the Nook and will keep it.
cob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
I have a longer post in this thread, so I'm just going to repost this part re: PRS505:

Quote:
I got the Nook to complement my 505 because:

- it has the "Kindle advantage" of both kinds of wireless, so I have -the option- to get something new to read when bored anywhere (on US soil anyway) and -the option- (with trook) to get things from my (calibre) library wirelessly. (P.S.: MacMillan & Co, you can price your ebooks any way you like, I will still only pay $9.99 tops, so you'll get... 0$)

- it has the touch screen interface, which besides a basic keyboard (which the 505 lacks) allows for an adaptive interface that is much more flexible than the Kindle while taking up less space. And all that implies: Search functionality, faster browsing etc. Since I grab it towards the bottom, I never had much of a temptation to touch the eink screen (too much portable gaming?

- One very simple practical benefit: Between an easel-style cover and the touch-swipe which does not require any physical force (pushing the easel over), it is fantastic for reading during a meal or other activity with the hands full or dirty (food prep, repairs, painting) - you can just use your knuckle. Seems like a small thing, but compared to the small, hard-to-press buttons on the Sony (the only real complaint I'd have) it makes a big difference to me. You wrote you had trouble, and I had some too, but once I got a feel for the interface it is no longer much of an issue. (And I now bought a 3rd-party easel-style cover for my 505 too, since it tilts the screen towards you even when lying flat, rather than sideways)

- Since it runs an open-source OS (Android) it is eminently more hackable than either Sony or Kindle reader. Trook etc. offers already more functionality in a short time than what people have managed to add through prolonged, dedicated hacking to the Sony and Kindle.

- Other nice things: User-replaceable battery! OK, not the most friendly solution but doable. Custom wallpapers and screensaver (esp. the last one: I never understood Sony's "the user would be confused if the screen stayed on when in sleep mode"??)

- Generally: ePub support, great since my 505 supports it too, and thus support for plenty of DRM-free books available. And extra brownie points for even mentioning the use in conjunction with Linux in the -official- Guide

The thing that the 505 can't be beat at: in the absence of backlight, my hacked Sony/Lightwedge cover is still the most pleasant reading in bed after dark solution by far (the 700 is a bit laughable in comparison, and I never much liked the Transformers-style unfoldable light-ona-stick)

In conclusion: I like it, and it will see quite some use (I 'm reading the newest Discworld novel right now, can't believe I missed its release)
After another week of use:

I'll add that the M-Egde cover with its better integrated Booklight works indeed better than previous such lights (and offer better protection) even though it is chunkier and less elegant than the Sony solution.

Also, another benefit is indeed the dictionary (not just as look-up, but also by itself in conjunction with search)

On the other hand, I was taken aback when I tried to "go to page" and found out there isn't such a function?!? Seriously, what gives?
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
I'll add that the M-Egde cover with its better integrated Booklight works indeed better than previous such lights (and offer better protection) even though it is chunkier and less elegant than the Sony solution.

Which cover? I'm interested in the Trip cover and the light
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
On the other hand, I was taken aback when I tried to "go to page" and found out there isn't such a function?!? Seriously, what gives?
This is my first reader that uses epub. I got spoiled with Sony's LRF format. the way I understand it, LRF page numbers change with re-flow and font size changes. Epub retains page numbering even with a re-flow. The end result is I can turn four "pages" and still be on the same page in the epub file. Having the ability to go directly to a page could be problematic, depending on your font size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob666
The reader doesn't ship with any kind of cover or protection and there are no stores within a reasonable driving range that have any accessories.
You could always try the original case the nook shipped in. I guarantee nothing will protect it (or keep you away from it) better!
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
I recently purchased a Sony 900 to try out the wireless connectivity for when we are traveling. Having that slightly larger screen was AWESOME but the wireless ONLY works in the US right now and the glare from the screen was starting to bother me. So, I went to B&N and picked up a Nook. 3G AND WLAN to get books while we're on vacation (usually Canada) and I'm able to side load almost all of our current Sony books.

The one BIG issue I have with the Nook is that B&N really dropped the ball with Nook accessories. The reader doesn't ship with any kind of cover or protection and there are no stores within a reasonable driving range that have any accessories. I live outside of Hartford, CT so I'm not exactly in the boonies. I'm glad that I waited a couple of months before trying to get a Nook because at least there are quite a few 3rd party vendors selling nice Nook accessories.

Overall I'm quite happy with the Nook and will keep it.[/QUOTE]

Recently I purchased the Sony PRS 900. The larger screen was a plus but each time I looked at the screen's clarity I felt buyer's remorse. I ended up buying a mighty bright book light which increased the screen's clarity but i still felt buyer's remorse when I was using the book light. I went to B&N for a week contemplating about which reader met my needs. For me screen clarity is more important so I returned the PRS 900 to Best Buy.

There are no Nook accessories at the B&N store in my area. I finally gave up and ordered from Oberon design.

I'm really enjoying the Nook.
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote